Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. @educasian @RuRo @cmchelsea @Tennis cognoscenti king @Jam @Sara X @Unbiased In particular.....

What would you tell him going in to new season?

I think i would have to take into account a few things.. .

- to not tarnish legacy. Many tennis fans inject themselves with recency bias and the way Hewitt finished up is not a good look.

- tennis is a part of life but Andy is also a great guy and there is lifee after tennis. He has achieved so much. Don't effect your future comfort.

- at the end of the day. What makes him happy would make me happy anyway regardless of whats next but here would be my advice, might be unpopular....

[SPOILER="NGK Advice"]Join the doubles tour. Try and wins slams and become number 1, be the first(i think) to dominate both!!! Play the odd singles too i guess [/SPOILER]

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Playing occasionally some 250s here and there to have legit chances for a deep run and to wait until tournaments are crowded again. Then retire on Wimby Centre Court, Sue Barker leading the interview. One last time crying his way, tears, cheers, over is the legendary career of Sir Andy Murray. Hello tennis pantheon.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I want slams, slams and more slams in the future for Andy.

Why not aim high?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,293 Posts
I want him to be happy.
I want him to have more babies.
Not necessarily mutually inclusive, but oh well.

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
I am not a fan, so can't really comment on this.
Though opting for a doubles career might be just the logical decision after this failed season.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Join the doubles tour. Try and wins slams and become number 1, be the first(i think) to dominate both!!! Play the odd singles too i guess [/SPOILER]

Thoughts?
I don't have numbers but I think J Mac dominated both singles and doubles.

Wish Andy all the best, seems like a genuinely good guy.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I don’t know if I would say anything to him, he’s experienced and knows the game well enough to know how he is doing. But I would like him to take it slow in smaller tournaments first and manage his schedule effectively. Take it a step at a time. Don’t play many matches on clay. I think he should give 2021 a good go especially in the Olympics and Wimbledon. If he isn’t looking like winning bigger titles he can maybe consider retiring at Wimbledon in 2022.
It’s easy to get down on him after his 2020 but his level in Antwerp was excellent and I thought he looked really sharp in at the battle of the brits v evans and norrie. Obviously 2020 was was a bit of a joke year so it wasn’t the best way to judge his level. Personally I think he can win other tournaments but best of 5 in slams seems to me to be too much. If he made the quarters I would consider that a big success. He doesn’t need to prove anything to anyone. Some say he should just retire right now but I think it’s fine he plays on and has a good send off at Wimbledon. It doesn’t taint his legacy even if he doesn’t do well. I wouldn’t like him to continue much longer if 2021 is also relatively poor - but let’s see how it goes first.

·
Registered
824 Posts
He has nothing to prove. I couldn't give a shit about "tarnishing legacies". That's impossible - nobody can take away what you did or didn't do at the height of your powers. It's in the history books. He needs to focus on improving his physique and then regaining good fundamentals on the court. Hopefully he aims to peak for Wimbledon and the Olympics and has the self control to not overplay just to chase points in the interim. If he's good enough, that'll take care of itself; if he isn't his curtain call will be sooner rather than later.
I wouldn't be against him playing doubles if he has the passion for it.

Edit: Should add that I'm hoping for Clayray to rise at least one more time.It was a seminal moment in the sport: like tennis's equivalent of a solar eclipse or something.

·
Registered
824 Posts
He’ll win the golden slam next year. Mark my words (R1 exit in all 5 tournaments)
He'll still be gilded regardless. SirAndyBaronKingMidasGilded'Ray. Slams are for inferior players and are made from baser metals .

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I am not a fan, so can't really comment on this.
Though opting for a doubles career might be just the logical decision after this failed season.
Of course a No2e tard would hope Murray switched to doubles.

The King is back and he is coming for your idol.

·
justice for all
16,228 Posts
Not a direct fan (even though I like Andy) but I think he should not push it too far at the expense of further damaging his health.

There is life after tennis after all.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
(waves at the back)

One last Wimbledon run for me. I suspect deep down he wants that badly aswell and once he's done that (and played the Olympics aswell) I think he'll be much more content and retire end of 2021.

Given what his level was like end of last year it's simply not worth it dragging his body around and having setbacks all the time just when he's starting to win a few matches as he did end of 2019. And of course his long term health remains the most important thing.

Ideal thing would be to pace himself so he comes in match ready for Queens, wins a few matches there, same at Nottingham as assume he'll play that and then he goes all in at Wimbledon.

What will restrict him is probably being unseeded (more so given they're using world rankings now so can't squeeze into 32 if he's around 38 at the time) but you never know....he hasn't played a single Wimbledon since he limped out of the Querrey match but I think if he could get to the second week that would be job done. Certainly don't expect much in the other slams br what we got in the US open, battling first round win followed by limp second round exit.

It's not impossible he could do it if he avoids a genuine favourite in first week and gets a run of servebots or someone like Zverev or Theim from the top 5.

One little doubt though remains how mediocre his ROS has become. Sets that he used to win 6-3 in his sleep are now 7/5 or 7/6 slugfests and so former routine two set matches go on for two and a half hours as we saw in the brits event the other day. Body decline means he's lost the art of winning quickly to save energy which is needed even on grass.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Anyone know why murray didnt play after winning the title at european championship late last year?
He injured himself at the Davis cup v Griekspoor.

That was a great shame as that was the time during his comeback when things were looking promising. Beating some good players in best of 3 so would've been interesting his level at AO 2020. Then he was about to come back when covid halted the schedule and all momentum was lost.

·
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Murray was never,ever,not even in his absolute best a challenger to djokovic.
True. Beating him in 2 slam finals prove he was NEVER a challenge. I see you ignored my last reply re DA lol

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Murray was never,ever,not even in his absolute best a challenger to djokovic.
Delete your account, clown. You clearly know nothing about tennis.

Peak Murray OWNS Djokovic.

·
The special one
14,696 Posts
I predicted at the start of his career, even before the multiple surgeries that he'd spend the last couple of years playing doubles with Jamie. The chances are he probably won't get back into the top 10 or even top 20.

He's nothing to prove anyway, can can lose in R1 in every slam, doesn't change the fact that he has a borderline ATG career and 4th best player in the last 15 years

1 - 20 of 46 Posts