Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it's better than no tennis, that goes without saying. So I'm not complaining (though I know i will be accused of it anyway) but just curious to hear what people think of it. Because--like everything else in the Covid era--it's pretty effing weird.
Also, I find it interesting to see how the absence of a live audience changes the viewing experience of televised live tennis.

I find it kind of barren, half-dead, the collective excitement gone, the players are way more subdued without an audience--although the quality of the tennis itself is no different I think. The winner can't really celebrate at the end--without an audience it seems inappropriate. It doesn't seem to matter as much--even though the ranking points and money and prestige are all at stake. The lack of applause and hooting after a great point is also deflating.

Imagine how the final of the USO will feel under these circumstances ...

I watched almost three whole matches yesterday--that's a lot for me, but I have been tennis-deprived for almost 6 months. So it can't be that bad! But I would say, it's like a burger without the condiments, or what??????

I watched a little basketball and hockey that had no live audience, but it wasn't nearly as noticeable because the cameras were never on the empty seats. They are on the empty seats in the tennis stadiums. Hard to avoid.

Share your thoughts MTF

·
justice for all
16,249 Posts
Like you said: any tennis is better than no tennis. So I'll take it.
People who regularly watch challengers/ futures are quite used to that feeling so no big shock for them.
But I agree a slam final will be... weird, to say the least.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I don't think it's too bad. I think some other sports like football are more adversely affected without fans than tennis.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
Love it so far, no during point shouting, no distraction. I would welcome fan effects for TV viewers though, between points ofc.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
The Tennis is dead. No doubt about it. It was a valiant effort to create the USTA bubble, but it feels like practice matches or some futures event. They are not mandatory.

Many have said this Covid Tour is a farce.

Even the ATP doesn't count these as true Masters or Slams in terms of points. If the Points gained from these tournaments are more than their 2019 results, they will be counted in the Best of Other Countable tournaments category, not masters or slams. And their 2019 result will be dropped. Otherwise, their 2019 result will remain.

Yes, the Players may be able to earn some money, but with no fans attending, it is not a good look for tennis to hear the solitary clap from the coach, and the motorway noise dominate the ambient surrounding sounds.

A guess is that the ratings will suck.
One wonders if ESPN will even decide to cancel things or show fewer matches.

Unfortunately,
masterclass

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
The Tennis is dead. No doubt about it. It was a valiant effort to create the USTA bubble, but it feels like practice matches or some futures event. They are not mandatory.

Many have said this Covid Tour is a farce.

Even the ATP doesn't count these as true Masters or Slams in terms of points. If the Points gained from these tournaments are more than their 2019 results, they will be counted in the Best of Other Countable tournaments category, not masters or slams. And their 2019 result will be dropped. Otherwise, their 2019 result will remain.

Yes, the Players may be able to earn some money, but with no fans attending, it is not a good look for tennis to hear the solitary clap from the coach, and the motorway noise dominate the ambient surrounding sounds.

A guess is that the ratings will suck.
One wonders if ESPN will even decide to cancel things or show fewer matches.

Unfortunately,
masterclass
I heard Sevilla - Inter had even bigger ratings than last year's EL final, so question is...what does ATP/ITF lack that UEFA has? Why can't they succeed?

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
It's fine, I mean it doesn't me at all. When I watched football recently without crowd it just sucked big time. But fortunately for the latter there is artificial crowd noise available now.

Reactions: SetPointDown

·
justice for all
16,249 Posts
I don't think it will affect ratings. On the contrary - people do less out-of-home activities and have more time to watch sports on TV or online.

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
I don't care much, Im used to live watch Futures and Challengers with little or no crowd since I was a child. But watching on TV is not the same I agree, one gets used to some 'complements' which aren't really Tennis but part of the show, crowd being a significant one of them. For the players, the average Joe won't care but the top guys are too much used to have that crowd there so they will have to adapt to the new bare conditions.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Still better than nothing I guess. Some players may even thrive under these conditions. Others may not. It definitely lessens the viewer experience.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
As a fan it sucks, no atmosphere. They should pump in some fake crowd noise or something like NBA

As a player though, you play, you stay a professional, and you get the job done. @masterclass, my good friend, the tour is back, the results will count, and it is what it is
That fake crowd noise would probably be the rude Fedtard crowd like on W 2019.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
I can't think of anything more hideous to Tennis than fake crowd noise, I hope that crap never gets to tennis and stays confined to American fakery-loving shows.
but UCL has it? it's fantastic, Americans hate football as far as I know. Look at PSG v Bayern atm, I don't even feel awkward while watching

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
but UCL has it? it's fantastic, Americans hate football as far as I know. Look at PSG v Bayern atm, I don't even feel awkward while watching
Exactly, the UEFA final is played in Lisbon right now and they are using fake crowd noises, just like they did with snooker in Sheffield. So that's not at all purely an American thing demanded by the audience over there.

As for myself, I have to say I don't really mind either way, just as long as the tour is back.
That is such a great thing for us tennis fans, as well as the players, as long as they take care of the safety of everyone out there properly.

Cheer up @masterclass and just enjoy the show, will you? I sincerely hope you'll be able to do that.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts