Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this is something i first noticed about 3 years ago but as this was only a few tournaments doing this and generally smaller tournaments this wasn't really bothering..

Now i see they have implemented it at Madrid and this week in Rome too: you will simply never see a serve clocked between 200 and 219 kph.. It will automatically show something between 220-229 kph, this is why we could see Federer at 220 kph last week for instance, which is absurd.

Anyway, this is quite a pathetic attempt to try to make the game more "exciting".

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I didn't quite pay attention, but if that's the case, it's pure bs. Tennis ain't about "the bigger the better". I mean who gets hooked on that? Maybe the devices are faulty. Fed didn't certainly serve that hard, his usual 1st is just around 200kmh, but gloriously accurate.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't quite pay attention, but if that's the case, it's pure bs. Tennis ain't about "the bigger the better". I mean who gets hooked on that? Maybe the devices are faulty. Fed didn't certainly serve that hard, his usual 1st is just around 200kmh, but gloriously accurate.
They are doing this on purpose, i'm certain of it! The max i have seen Federer for the last 5-6 years is 206-208 kmh.

They are really taking the fans for idiots.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
the consistency in general of speedometers on tour is a total mess. there's plenty of inaccurate speedometers with a good proportion being clay tournaments - several clay 250s will come up with readings which are too slow the majority of the time and then just random 220+ readings - been this way for several years as you noted. pretty sure it's more a case of inaccurate/faulty/guesswork as most of the time it'll be 10 kph or so the other way, too slow, or simply no rhyme or reason with readings all over the place (why would you fix a speedo to show 185kph+ flat serves as coming up around the border of 150s/160s?).

most Davis Cup speedos register too fast - the matches where the majority of 1st serves are over 200kph (one example of many being almost every Lorenzi first serve 200+ vs Chiudinelli a few years ago). take a look at how many times Davis Cup features on Fastest recorded tennis serves, it's an absolute farce: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastest_recorded_tennis_serves

Houston and WTA Charleston have many fast readings. I've seen Indian Wells/Miami register a few mph too fast (and some a bit too slow) on some courts. Montpellier, Marseille, New York, Newport, Buenos Aires & Barcelona throw in slow readings, Basel, Queen's some fast ones. Quito, Casablanca were a complete mess. a Monte Carlo match a couple of years ago wouldn't register above 115-120 (kph!) haha.

·
Registered
472 Posts
In Barcelona the service speeds clocked were all over the place. I saw some that looked to be max 205 showing up at 220+, where both my friend and I noticed it every time. There was a match between Schwartzman and Nishioka where we kept seeing ridiculous speeds that were pretty much impossible for those two.

Radar guns are suuuuper unreliable. I spent a year traveling across Canada with a promotion where whoever could shot a hockey puck through a car tire the fastest would win a set of tires. We had the best radar gun on the market, calibrated it every morning, etc. After a while, you just understand how fast the shot is within +/- 5mph. We would regularly see them 15-20 mph off, which was odd especially since only shots through the tire (which is a very concentrated area) would count for the leaderboard.

Bottom line is that the service speeds are more like approximations.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think they fake it, why would they? Who the hell even cares about that? :shrug:
So why there are no serves measured between 200 and 219 kmh? My bet is there is a small program in the device that will bump the serve speed to 220+ kmh to impress the casual tennis fans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts