Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got any more info on this? I missed most of the second set but saw the last few minutes. Menendez-Maceiras didn't seem to have anything wrong with him at all. :lol:

And also, the commentator really doesn't like him either. In the first set he essentially mentioned how if you were walking past you would think Bolt would just win 3&4 because MM just doesn't do anything, and then after MM retired he said something along the lines of "horrendous, to retire at 5-0 in the breaker, just ridiculous... but on the plus side, at least we will actually have a good match tomorrow now." :rolls:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I watched the entire game, AMM was his moronic self, complaining about everything. He took an MTO for his hip and kept stretching his right leg, I think he was kinda legit injured for once, but it doesn't justify not playing the last 2 points of the TB. He was fine until 6-6. I think he just threw a tantrum and gave up.

I'm NOT complaining, I had a multi bet with AMM as my last leg and had lost all hope, this saved me big time. I can imagine how pissed off people who had bets on Bolt must be...

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Bolty! needed these 55 points has a stack to defend over the coming weeks! definitely winable versing Fratangelo in the final, but yeah bit weird retiring down 0-5, he prob had a bet or something

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
Adrian can throw a good tantrum :lol: But this is just sad, unfortunately. Can't condone it even when I like the guy.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Pathetic of any player to retire 2 points away from the match unless you genuinely can't move at all, it's very suspicious.

Bolt has had a good week but Fratangelo has been on fire

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
You people actually watch these mugs play these crap tournaments? How much free time do you have?
This may come as a total shock and surprise to you, but everyone in the top 10 used to play these crap tournaments at some point of their careers.
Not sure what your point is. Of course that’s true, and I would be shocked about people watching them play too at that point, long before they were top 10 players...

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
You people actually watch these mugs play these crap tournaments? How much free time do you have?
Watching these "mugs" play "crap tournaments" is what gives you an appreciation for how good guys ranked in the top 200 really are (and just how small the margins are at the highest level between those on the main tour and those in challengers like these).

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Watching these "mugs" play "crap tournaments" is what gives you an appreciation for how good guys ranked in the top 200 really are (and just how small the margins are at the highest level between those on the main tour and those in challengers like these).
Then why do videos posted on this site show tournaments where there are more ball boys and line judges watching the matches than fans in the crowd?

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Tennis isn’t just about Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, and their supposed quest for GOAThood.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,629 Posts
Then why do videos posted on this site show tournaments where there are more ball boys and line judges watching the matches than fans in the crowd?
it's ridiculous that people need to base tennis on how many people turn up to watch on a given day. They aren't there to cater to YOUR interests. They are trying to make a living and they might not exactly get much out of it compared to your standard top 30-50 players. They won't have massive fanbases and sponsors. Relatively to the big 3, everybody else are mugs, but mugs can actually play decent tennis on a different scale.

If you haven't watched a tennis tournament of any kind in real life, I suggest that you do so at least once, and not just to buy the tickets for the SF or F. Watch some earlier rounds on outside courts and you'll come to appreciate how hard most of these players work and the degree of skill they have, beyond what one might expect just from watching it on TV.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
it's ridiculous that people need to base tennis on how many people turn up to watch on a given day. They aren't there to cater to YOUR interests. They are trying to make a living and they might not exactly get much out of it compared to your standard top 30-50 players. They won't have massive fanbases and sponsors. Relatively to the big 3, everybody else are mugs, but mugs can actually play decent tennis on a different scale.

If you haven't watched a tennis tournament of any kind in real life, I suggest that you do so at least once, and not just to buy the tickets for the SF or F. Watch some earlier rounds on outside courts and you'll come to appreciate how hard most of these players work and the degree of skill they have, beyond what one might expect just from watching it on TV.
I’ve attended multiple tournaments live at the 250 level, 1000 level, and slam level, chief

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
And this is what is referred to as a red herring.
You missed what I was implying. IF the quality of tennis is as good and interesting as you claim it to be, then why don’t people choose to go to these tournaments instead of ATP level tournaments for a fraction of the price? Talk about bang for your buck

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
You missed what I was implying. IF the quality of tennis is as good and interesting as you claim it to be, then why don’t people choose to go to these tournaments instead of ATP level tournaments for a fraction of the price? Talk about bang for your buck
Plenty of CHs have packed stands, more so than some 250s. Hell even more than some M1000 sometimes.
What even is your point? Attendance on a given day can be influenced by the time the matches are played, where the facility is located and the interest tennis draws in the surrounding areas.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've watched many Challengers that have big crowds (Sevilla, Budapest, /Campinas/ Brazil, /Cassis/ France and others). If you're a person who likes tennis, why wouldn't you watch a CH match between Michael Mmoh and Ernesto Escobedo for example. Or Carballes-Baena vs Filip Krajinovic (both played plenty of challengers an year ago). It's like being a football (soccer) fan and only watching Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man United and Bayern Munich. It's not about that. If you love the game , you can watch any decent match. Plus most likely you would be watching future stars develop and it's cool to have eyes on them from the beginning.

With all of the above being said, I have no idea why Maceiras did what he did, it's kind of disrespectful unless he had a serious injury. That tournament had pretty good matches. Fratangelo played out of his mind every match and deserved to take it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Berlocq took on Garin last week in the Santo Domingo Challenger. The stands were packed, the tennis from both players was of Top 30 quality, and this made for an awesome atmosphere. I watch the Challenger Tour just about every day, the tennis is often high quality and fun to watch. Give the Challenger Tour some respect.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
This had to be gambling related. Some books grade tennis bets "no action" if 2 sets are not completed. I'm thinking AMM or his friends probably bet huge that he'd win. Once he knew he was going to lose, he retired to save them the lost bet

1 - 20 of 20 Posts