Votes: 1 1.0%
  • All unfair crowds

Votes: 6 5.7%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which GS crowd is the fairest? I personally vote for the AO. They cheer for the Aussies but also cheer and are welcoming to all players, but will also call out and boo players who are using gamesmanship (Azarenka vs Stephens, Nadal vs Wawrinka). There is a good reason they call it the happy slam and all the players seem to love being there. I can't think of a time when they did anything uncalled for to be honest.

Wimbledon is genuinely quite fair but after the 2012 Olympics they seemed to get a bit more unfair towards Muzza opponents. Cheering double faults and UE. Still genuinely a good crowd, but that was too much.

The FO are a very knowledgable crowd but they can be pretty unfair at times and have a flair for the dramatic. They just love any opportunity to boo someone and the shouting out can get quite bad. Not the worst crowd ever which some Nadal fans try and suggest though. That would be Madrid. Treating Novak like a dog because he had just kicked Nadal's ass at MC and booing an injured Nishikori is far beyond the FO crowd, who if anything are more like court jesters.

The US open is generally ok but has had it's unfair moments as well.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Which GS crowd is the fairest? I personally vote for the AO. They cheer for the Aussies but also cheer and are welcoming to all players, but will also call out and boo players who are using gamesmanship (Azarenka vs Stephens, Nadal vs Wawrinka). There is a good reason they call it the happy slam and all the players seem to love being there. I can't think of a time when they did anything uncalled for to be honest.

Wimbledon is genuinely quite fair but after the 2012 Olympics they seemed to get a bit more unfair towards Muzza opponents. Cheering double faults and UE. Still genuinely a good crowd, but that was too much.

The FO are a very knowledgable crowd but they can be pretty unfair at times and have a flair for the dramatic. They just love any opportunity to boo someone and the shouting out can get quite bad. Not the worst crowd ever which some Nadal fans try and suggest though. That would be Madrid. Treating Novak like a dog because he had just kicked Nadal's ass at MC and booing an injured Nishikori is far beyond the FO crowd, who if anything are more like court jesters.

The US open is generally ok but has had it's unfair moments as well.
french can be pretty bad but you'll be pleased to know the parisians hate nadal LOL, they've been insulting him in the media for years. Apparently they were all over the moon after rg 09. Anyway, i agree, aussies are fantastic, passionate crowd and respect for not 0nly their players but others as well. uso can be pretty bad tbh. wimbledon get a little carried away sometimes but i'd say the aussies are the fairest.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,514 Posts
Reactions: Federer-Fan

·
29,710 Posts
Seeing the Wimbledon crowd rattle Djokovic when he was whining to Lahyani for no apparent reason in the 2013 final was great, especially considering Djokovic dumped serve in the game after. That was home advantage doing the business.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably US because they don't have any home grown players to root for.
I remember Isner was furious because when he played Monfils the crowd wasn't solely on his side. I am and though Andy is one of my favourite players, there are others I support ahead of him. I don't think it is mandatory to just support someone from your country.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Right now, it's Australian Open a bit ahead of Wimbledon, but only because the British crowd got so excited to see a Brit possibly, then actually win. The Aussie's have the potential to be a bit more partisan as soon as they have a plausible winner.

What I do like about the Aussies is that a lot of them will pick a foreign player to support, and give them really good support. However, I think the crowds at Wimbledon try hard to be fair.

The US Open crowd is more interested in hot-dogs and beer, and the French have way too many players to be partisan towards.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Seeing the Wimbledon crowd rattle Djokovic when he was whining to Lahyani for no apparent reason in the 2013 final was great, especially considering Djokovic dumped serve in the game after. That was home advantage doing the business.
which is the reason we should always subtract 1 slam in Murray's achievement, could be 2 if we consider Novak's choking as well, but it's a little bit too much.

·
Delicious
3,560 Posts
1. AO: Fair all round crowd. Supports home players and those from other countries. Acknowledges great tennis, fantastic atmosphere, and aren't afraid of voicing negative feelings.
2. Winbledon: Prestigious crowd. Respects tennis and its origins.
3. US: They're just there to dance.
4. French Garros: Heckling Djoko on second serve championship point down. Biased French support. Chanting in an endless loop.

·
Registered
19,434 Posts
AO crowd

In fact, Australian Open is the best slam by far in every department

Only tradition wise, Wimbledon > AO

Reactions: Nole Rules
1 - 20 of 61 Posts