1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
175 Posts
The obviously were all first round matches because his win/loss ratio is awful. He was given so many wildcards by the USTA it is obscene. I was stunned he had coaching jobs and then to get a gig working as a commentator on the Tennis Channel was a real shocker. There are so many more accomplished players that have more insight that he had to offer. I was glad his felony charge contributed to the Tennis Channel dropping him and adding Jan Michael Gambill, and giving more air time for the well informed Jimmy Arias and others. I just don't see Gimelstob as having a significant professional career.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The obviously were all first round matches because his win/loss ratio is awful. He was given so many wildcards by the USTA it is obscene. I was stunned he had coaching jobs and then to get a gig working as a commentator on the Tennis Channel was a real shocker. There are so many more accomplished players that have more insight that he had to offer. I was glad his felony charge contributed to the Tennis Channel dropping him and adding Jan Michael Gambill, and giving more air time for the well informed Jimmy Arias and others. I just don't see Gimelstob as having a significant professional career.
He won 13 doubles titles in the ATP and won two mixed doubles majors, and he beat Hewitt, Rafter, Agassi. He was a top usta junior that actually made a good pro career, he could have been a total bust like John Roddick or David Witt or Kozlov. not an easy sport to make it in as we all know. As for his tv talent, he has become a very good commentator, not the best but he analyzes a match well and knows insights about each player, you can't deny his passion for the sport.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts