Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Safin thread, some people were citing Fognini as another player with poor attitude who is too busy enjoying life to do well.
I thought FF was mainly a doubles player, and an average singles player?

·
Administrator
10,261 Posts
He's turning into a decent hard court player over the past year. Seems like it all started last year in Miami. Obviously his USO flop to Travaglia is not too good, but following that he made the St. Petersburg final, Shanghai R16 over two good hard courters (Verdasco and Pouille), then made the semis in Stockholm (beating Sock along the way). I don't know if this AO run is that impressive, went the distance with Benneteau and four with Donskoy before getting crushed by Bird. I think he's capable of cracking the top 15 once more in his career, but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
9,935 Posts
He is talented but he explodes in rage after the first violation or when he starts making mistakes.

2013 or 2014 was the year of the Fog

·
Premium Member
8,259 Posts
No, he is a small guy with no big weapons. He has done the best he can. His talents are often vastly overrated on mtf.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
obviously, and it's been talked about for years. He's probably one of the most talented players of his generation, and if we're going by a shot by shot basis, possibly more talented than the top guys. But in the end it's sort of irrelevant because he has a terrible attitude on the court. Gets distracted easily, tactically isn't the wisest, and will literally randomly tank matches when he gets into a sour mood.

If Fognini had the brain of Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal he'd be incredibly good. But that's woulda coulda shoulda imaginary stuff. And the reality is that arguably the biggest thing in professional sport IS your mentality and tactical brain. It's valuable. it's not a small thing to be missing. This conversation was had about Rios for years. Fognini isn't the first mega talented player who never lived up to the hype

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I love the Fog but he's purely an entertainer who can somestimes take out favourites (like Nadal at US open).

He dosen't have the instinct of a champion. Still a joy to watch when he's on form. Tennis needs those players as only a tiny percentage actually win grand slams of course.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think he is kind of done, which is a shame. I watched a few of his matches where he was brilliant (beating murray in the davis cup, coming back from two sets to love down against nadal at the US and beating murray last year at the Italian Open). such easy power on both wings. he doesnt even seem to be trying on his backhand, just stands upright and unleashes. His control and power in the wrists looks different from everyone else. But I watched his game against bennteau in this years AO and he looked poor. He won but was missing shots that looked very makeable.

·
Registered
13,696 Posts
No, he's done as best he can.
He clearly didn't.

You have to love a true late career revitalization like Fabio's.

You can't even call it revitalization.

Fabio has played his best and most consistent tennis since 2018.

It took him many years, but that's when he became disciplined and found the right shot to play at whatever moment.

·
Registered
13,696 Posts
No, he is a small guy with no big weapons. He has done the best he can. His talents are often vastly overrated on mtf.
Lol.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Shame he didn't impact men's game more, he definitely could have. Always great to watch when on fire, but it's bloody mess when he ain't. When he puts together a good match, I catch myself wandering "Where's this guy been before". He is an impatient guy in every aspect, game and mentality-wise. He attacks recklessly and has an amazingly short fuse when it comes to melting down. But he is such a headcase that I am strongly convinced if anyone were to work with him on his psychology, Fabio would affect that person, not the other way around.

For now he remains the random variable in all draws, that could explode any moment, but implodes more often. He looks kinda short-legged, and his strokes look as though he ain't even trying, which matches his personality perfectly.

I mean all of this is obvious and well-known to MTF wise sages, but I don't remember ever writing about Fabio. I even play with his racket model.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Fog is like a Nalbandian , plays like him but is not quite like him . The level is just different . At one point I thought he could reach it , even for some points but no he never totally did it .

·
Registered
312 Posts
Lol.

Go watch the 2015 match vs Nadal and then come back and say Fabio has no weapons...Fognini hit Rafa off the court in that match. Fabio can hit a winner off both wings from any position on the court.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
He is too casual while playing. It never feels like he is there to give it all no matter what. It's difficult to have a big success with that kind of attitude.

·
Registered
106 Posts
He’s smug and casual. He thinks he’s so clever as an annoying troll when he uses medical timeouts. It looks like he plays mainly with his upper body and tightens up when the real Slam matches come. He’s not even a good sprinter.

·
Registered
13,696 Posts
Fog is like a Nalbandian , plays like him but is not quite like him . The level is just different . At one point I thought he could reach it , even for some points but no he never totally did it .
they sometimes hit their backhand quite the same when they don't really move much and just swipe through the ball at their side.

I considered Nalby a bit of a Djokovic/Murray mixture though.

Fabio is more of a smaller, dynamite shotmaker. Despite his immense gifts and touch, he could never afford to just trade rallies and lengthy exchanges with the first three, he doesnt have the movement for it.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
He has incredible technique off both wings. Serve is about as good as it can be for a little guy (5"10). He's had some big wins against Nadal and Murray. Not so much against Djokovic (0-8) and Federer (0-4). Like others have mentioned he is too inconsistent (mentally and emotionally) to do anything really special in the majors. Even if he did go deep I think his serve will be too much of a weakness (just like Nishikori).

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
they sometimes hit their backhand quite the same when they don't really move much and just swipe through the ball at
I swear I see them moving the same, striking very similar off both wings but one had great BH the other great FH, with the arrogance of the talented and dont care what you think attittude . Both were/ are essential for the tour, as there are none with style of shotmaking and the potential outclassing any rival if all click . Most of all Nalby

1 - 20 of 27 Posts