Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Isner peaked in that match, his serve is dangerous for everyone plus he can blast winners during good days.
Fortunately for Nadal it was BO5 and he could beat more tired Isner in the second part of this match.

·
|
14,307 Posts
That is the only Rafa match that I didn't see all of, because I fell asleep after Rafa won the 1st Set, and then I woke up in the 5th Set : )
Lucky I woke up in time for the 5th Set, because its such a rare event for Rafa at Roland Garros.

Rafa was hitting the ball extremely short at that Roland Garros, all the way to the Final where he again hit the ball short and Federer was in a very good position halfway through the Final....

Rafa's confidence was very low after losing Rome and Madrid Finals in straight sets.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
who cares?

·
|
14,307 Posts
Didn't Brands also outplay Nadal for 2 sets in RG?
Yes in 2013 Roland Garros, and I remember Rafa's doctor said that Rafa would have stiffness in his knee for the first half of 2013 and that it'd loosen up later in the year....so I'm not surprised he struggled a bit at 2013 Roland Garros : )

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
I don't see how it's any more shocking than Djokovic almost losing to Simon at AO or Federer almost losing to Benneteau in Wimbledon (in tournaments they ended up winning).

Also Nadal broke Isner early in the 4th and 5th set so he never came that close to losing actually.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Only time Rafa's been taken to 5 sets at RG? Obviously lost in 4 to Soderling and was done in straights by Nole in 2015. Can't remember him winning any 5 setter, taking him to 4 is usually hard enough work.

Very much an abnormal match with the history before and since.

Edit: Get the feeling another is breweing for this year.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
who cares?
Bit harsh. To a neutral that match certainly sticks out on Nadal's glittering resume at RG and it wasn't even 3rd or 4th round. Feels like the world would end if Nadal went out in the first round at RG and it nearly happened that year.

Is this thread any less informative than querying whether Murray hit long on Federer match point at Wimbledon?

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Just as shocking as Seppi who almost beat Djokovic in RG few years ago :smile2: He lead 2-0 in sets.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
There was one year Nadal lost the 1st set in the first three rounds, guessing at 2013 when you had the epic v Nole in the semi finals which he could easily have lost.

Actually just answered my own question.....the other time he's been taken to 5 sets at RG.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Isner peaked in that match, his serve is dangerous for everyone plus he can blast winners during good days.
Fortunately for Nadal it was BO5 and he could beat more tired Isner in the second part of this match.
Thanks for Info!

Sorry, did you watch the match? Almost is not good enough. Watch the match again. It is on YouTube.
Watching the match gives you what is going on then and before- maybe stuff was revealed afterward in the press conferences!

That is the only Rafa match that I didn't see all of, because I fell asleep after Rafa won the 1st Set, and then I woke up in the 5th Set : )
Lucky I woke up in time for the 5th Set, because its such a rare event for Rafa at Roland Garros.

Rafa was hitting the ball extremely short at that Roland Garros, all the way to the Final where he again hit the ball short and Federer was in a very good position halfway through the Final....

Rafa's confidence was very low after losing Rome and Madrid Finals in straight sets.
Thanks for Rome and Madrid Info! As well as the strategy of Nadal that year

Super rainy period which lowered bounce and change Nadal moonball over the shoulder into high bounce at Isner shoulder level.
Interesting tidbit! Vaguely familiar!

who cares?
It’s like the only match of its kind on clay with Nadal at French Open so early

Interesting
Yes in 2013 Roland Garros, and I remember Rafa's doctor said that Rafa would have stiffness in his knee for the first half of 2013 and that it'd loosen up later in the year....so I'm not surprised he struggled a bit at 2013 Roland Garros : )
Thanks
I don't see how it's any more shocking than Djokovic almost losing to Simon at AO or Federer almost losing to Benneteau in Wimbledon (in tournaments they ended up winning).

Also Nadal broke Isner early in the 4th and 5th set so he never came that close to losing actually.

Well you know few things are as linked as Nadal and French! Even more than roger and Wimbledon and Novak and Australia
Yeah Rafa only faced ONE break point in that entire marathon with Isner : )
Isner has to win sets via tie-breakers.
Wins a win
Only time Rafa's been taken to 5 sets at RG? Obviously lost in 4 to Soderling and was done in straights by Nole in 2015. Can't remember him winning any 5 setter, taking him to 4 is usually hard enough work.

This is why I inquired! Thanks

Bit harsh. To a neutral that match certainly sticks out on Nadal's glittering resume at RG and it wasn't even 3rd or 4th round. Feels like the world would end if Nadal went out in the first round at RG and it nearly happened that year.

Is this thread any less informative than querying whether Murray hit long on Federer match point at Wimbledon?
Lol!! Exactly

Just as shocking as Seppi who almost beat Djokovic in RG few years ago :smile2: He lead 2-0 in sets.
Have to research

There was one year Nadal lost the 1st set in the first three rounds, guessing at 2013 when you had the epic v Nole in the semi finals which he could easily have lost.

Actually just answered my own question.....the other time he's been taken to 5 sets at RG.
Wow

2011 had different, harder babolat balls which favored 1st strike tennis.
Hmm. Why just that year

·
|
14,307 Posts
Yeah 2011 was the perfect storm : )
- rain (in the Final with Federer)
- faster ball
- Rafa very low confidence after losing Rome/Madrid badly

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Isner also beat Federer in Switzerland, indoor clay Davis Cup 2012, 46 63 76 62 and was close to beating Djokovic in Serbia, indoor clay Davis Cup 2010, 57 63 36 76 46.

Djokovic took him, Pascal-Maria & the net into the sixth set.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts

No. Remember Djokovic's notorious overhead fumbles to bottle the 2013 RG SF? Rafa won that RG SF in 5 sets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts