Mens Tennis Forums banner

81 - 100 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Re: New blog post (77#) (31/1/11) - "I know you from somewhere" - by Amir Weintrau

I love these posts.

The Russian guy's forehand and Coria's serve going AWOL out of nowhere is scary to read, especially for a pro that makes a living out of this. Muscle memory is a funny thing; from personal experience as a former club level player when I broke my humerus bone and was out of action for 6 months, I couldn't rediscover my backhand even to this day, 8 years later. Tried everything like watching a ton of Nalbandian and Safin videos :) nothing worked. Still can't hit a damn backhand to save my life.

But if you can lose a shot without even giving a break, that's scary as hell.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Re: New blog post (77#) (31/1/11) - "I know you from somewhere" - by Amir Weintrau

I love these posts.

The Russian guy's forehand and Coria's serve going AWOL out of nowhere is scary to read, especially for a pro that makes a living out of this. Muscle memory is a funny thing; from personal experience as a former club level player when I broke my humerus bone and was out of action for 6 months, I couldn't rediscover my backhand even to this day, 8 years later. Tried everything like watching a ton of Nalbandian and Safin videos :) nothing worked. Still can't hit a damn backhand to save my life.

But if you can lose a shot without even giving a break, that's scary as hell.
I'm sorry. :sad:

Actually it happens to the very Tops. Nole lost his serve for a whole 10 months this last year and he has said many times that he didn't intend to change anything, but the change just crept into his game. Basically he spent 10 months trying to get it back and it was all a mental thing. Scary. :speakles:

The lesson is that you can overcome it. Look at him now. :cool:

·
Banned
34,908 Posts

Wow, what great reads these blog posts are. So real.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,407 Posts

Isn't Chekhov the guy that Genci played against in the Universiade?
guilty

my killer slice ruined his forehand forever

·
Banned
34,908 Posts

Damn, sorry man. Really this is a reminder, all of these stories, of how you need to take advantage of every day and make the most of yourself.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts

This really puts the "pressure" some of the top players claim to have into perspective. They have the pressure of doing well for their fans/media and getting big wins, while people in Amir's position have the pressure of far more important things such as making ends meet and not completely losing their way in the sport.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts

Wouldn't you wish he made it? :awww:
I'm a fan of a guy I don't even know. I hope he does well.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #88

Well, we have DC vs. Poland coming up, hopefully he'll win a match. This should give him a boost, hopefully. Dudi is a good DC player, I hope, for his sake, Amir is cut of the same mold.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

The man keeps delivering. I am at a challenger at the moment, you can see how this world is so different especially at the lower ones.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

Thanks a lot for the translation... Amir "everyday life" is really interesting.

At least Amir has gained +11 ranks in the ATP rankings, he is now #270 !

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/We/A/Amir-Weintraub.aspx?t=rh

I think it explains why a lot of players tend to play Futures & Challengers
in their local area. Last year I was wondering why so few US players were playing
challengers outside the US. Even if it is natural that all the player like to play
on home soil, the money saved in travelling is an important factor also...
It's plenty expensive to travel around the U.S.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Re: New blog post (24/1/11) - "Crash" - by Amir Weintraub

Famous coaches have a psychological impact on the rivals. In Eilat I ran into a Spanish Player and a Belgian player, each with his own personal coach. Both coaches were ex players who retired last year from tennis – Olivier Rochus from Belgium who was 24 in the world, and the other was Fernando Vicente who was 29 in the world and beat players like Agassi, Henman, Philippoussis and Tommy Haas.
thanks a lot for these blog posts, but I think he's talking about Christophe Rochus there, since Olivier is still active.

and nice to see that my idol Fernando Vicente can "intimidate" certain players at the futures level :worship:

·
29,096 Posts

Great article. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,751 Posts

Who is Vicente coaching?

And Rochus? If he did mean Chris I'm surprised. Judging from his interviews last year he seemed to be glad to get the fuck away from tennis.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts

chekov came to my club for the 2008 university club champs, representing a moscow uni... what a beast, just methodically drilling the ball... always 30-40 minute matches...

talk during the champs was whether he'd do his studies and comeback to tennis later, or follow his tennis there and then, as he was around 300 rank at the time... if that was the case and he did follow his studies, then i'm not surprised if he lost the feel on his forehand due to an extended time of low or inactivity...

strike while the iron is hot...

as always, fascinating post... they all have a cerebral, otherworldly quality to them... mini-fights, constant struggles and the bizarre (re)occurances that could only happen in a chaotic travelling circus that rolls from one week to the next...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

Good luck with Russia Amir.

·
Registered
743 Posts

Thanks Or. It's getting to the point where I look forward to one of his blogs each week. He ought to compile these into a collection and publish them one day after he's done with tennis. Or before.......

That's a lot of pressure for him to be playing 2nd singles in DC. His tennis experience is such a rollercoaster of highs and lows. But it might just help him psychologically to step outside his world and explain some of it to us as an unbiased observer. He doesn't spend a lot of time on his disappointments but uses them as a segway to explaining whatever topic it is he wants to highlight.

Keep it coming. :)

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts

I knew there was a reason the LTA should keep Gilbert around for Boggo - all the rankings points he was getting because the opponent was mentally playing the coach ;)

Another great blog though, and you really get a sense of the raw underbelly of the tennis world from it - what's it's like in the places where the cameras never venture, where Jim Courier wouldn't be caught dead wielding an interviewer's microphone.

Still, I worry for this guy cos what you mostly get a sense of is pressure - pressure, pressure, pressure, and if you're feeling the pressure that acutely, it seems unlikely to me that you're going to be able to relax enough to release your best tennis.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts

Amir's observation skills and sensitivity won't help him with his pro career. He thinks way too much. All the best, though, and he should remember that Przysiezny can beat anyone, and, what happens much more often, lose to absolutely anyone.

81 - 100 of 295 Posts