Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

Well, I translated it here because I found it interesting. Not often to you see real blogs from pro tennis players (It's not really a blog, it's a column on a website, not sure it is going to be a habit).

But if it can get him a few fans, why not. You root for someone you can connect to.

This is a video of him beating Dudi Sela in the Israeli championship a few weeks ago. Third set TB.

http://www.sport5.co.il/articles.aspx?FolderID=411&docID=91307&lang=HE

·
Registered
177 Posts

Thanks a lot for the translation... Amir "everyday life" is really interesting.

At least Amir has gained +11 ranks in the ATP rankings, he is now #270 !

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/We/A/Amir-Weintraub.aspx?t=rh

I think it explains why a lot of players tend to play Futures & Challengers
in their local area. Last year I was wondering why so few US players were playing
challengers outside the US. Even if it is natural that all the player like to play
on home soil, the money saved in travelling is an important factor also...

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

there are many guys like amir. with stories like this one tends to feel sorry for the lad and make you even want to pull for him in the tournies he plays. however, why pull for him in particular when there are many others in similar circumstances, most likely even the rivals he's playing against?

i don't mean to direct this post to anyone in particular... it's just a thought i wanted to post here.
Stick to following the top 10.

The lower level this is why it's called the jungle.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Thanks a lot for the translation... Amir "everyday life" is really interesting.

At least Amir has gained +11 ranks in the ATP rankings, he is now #270 !

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/We/A/Amir-Weintraub.aspx?t=rh

I think it explains why a lot of players tend to play Futures & Challengers
in their local area. Last year I was wondering why so few US players were playing
challengers outside the US. Even if it is natural that all the player like to play
on home soil, the money saved in travelling is an important factor also...
Well, as an Israeli, Amir (and the rest of the Israeli players) are sort of stuck. Israel has one challenger, no futures I believe, and they can't play locally in the middle east, so they must travel abroad, which means flights.

Very expensive.

·
Registered
177 Posts

Well, as an Israeli, Amir (and the rest of the Israeli players) are sort of stuck. Israel has one challenger, no futures I believe, and they can't play locally in the middle east, so they must travel abroad, which means flights.

Very expensive.
It seems that at least some Futures tournaments are held in Israel:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tournaments/Challenger-Tour.aspx

But it is true that the life is even harder for Israelis...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Yeah, I wasn't sure. Anyway, 10,000 futures are no help for Amir.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

Thanks for the translations of course.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts

Thumbs up for the story and the translation

thanks a lot

·
Registered
3,918 Posts

Thanks a lot for doing the translation. It's always interesting to get a view of what it's all about from another perspective with these kinds of stories.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

Very nice. But, is there really internet for just one hour a day in this French territory. I'd be surprised...

·
Registered
17,271 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. I think it's because Amir took the time to write that. The reason why anyone goes for any player (other than those of their nationality or something like that) is usually down to sheer chance. Had some Fed fans started following tennis in 2008 instead of 2004, they might have been Nadal fans instead :eek:.
thats quite true.

amir sounds like a nice fella but then i remember that for every amir there are 100 more journeymen in similar circumstances. it's a tough sport... i'd dare say most sports are pretty tough in general for the ones who don't make "the cut", whatever that is in the area of interest.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts

It seems that at least some Futures tournaments are held in Israel:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tournaments/Challenger-Tour.aspx

But it is true that the life is even harder for Israelis...
compared to the euros and the yanks, most likely yes.

compared to the south americans, most likely not.

still, it depends on a wide range of circumstances. family income, opportunities for facilities/coaching, etc

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Well, how many futures/challengers do you have in south America combined?

·
Registered
17,271 Posts

no idea but then again, south america is quite big.

for example, the distance from santiago to caracas is over 3000 miles. from santiago to sao paulo is over 1600 miles.

by contrast, the distance from tel aviv to, say, a big euro capital like berlin, is 1770 miles. you guys have the advantage of being closer to europe which has a lot more opportunities for tournaments. plus, israel is a rich nation with more economical opportunities and i'm sure a more wealthy tennis federation than what you might find in south america.

this all sounds like a pissing contest but it aint my intention at all. i'm just saying, the poorer you are and the farther from the first world you are, the lesser your chances are. by this token, theres a reason why africans don't do well at tennis.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

no idea but then again, south america is quite big.

for example, the distance from santiago to caracas is over 3000 miles. from santiago to sao paulo is over 1600 miles.

by contrast, the distance from tel aviv to, say, a big euro capital like berlin, is 1770 miles. you guys have the advantage of being closer to europe which has a lot more opportunities for tournaments. plus, israel is a rich nation with more economical opportunities and i'm sure a more wealthy tennis federation than what you might find in south america.
this all sounds like a pissing contest but it aint my intention at all. i'm just saying, the poorer you are and the farther from the first world you are, the lesser your chances are. by this token, theres a reason why africans don't do well at tennis.

Are you kidding me? Look how many tournaments Chile has alone, including ATP tournaments Israel doesn't have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Tennis_tournaments_in_Chile

Israel's entire sport budget is 67 million shekels. (22 million dollars), I'm sure it's more than than that in at least SOME of the south American countries.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts

chile has 1 ATP, 3 Challengers and 6 futures. as for budget, i'd dare say 22 million dollars is more than what any south american country has destined for tennis. but i really dont get whats your point. that it is easier for the average south american to succeed in tennis than it is for the average israeli? if that's what you're saying then you're just wrong.

anyhow, this discussion has taken a misleading direction

·
Registered
743 Posts

Thanks Or Levy. Amir writes with punch. Maybe he should consider that as a career option given what he's described in his "day in the life" article. Yes, it is nice that the guys on his level help each other out - that's a far cry from what goes on in the top 100. Sure, there are many journeymen in his predicament but now that I've read his take on it, I would gladly follow him. Will check for him at USO qualifying.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

Thanks Or Levy. Amir writes with punch. Maybe he should consider that as a career option given what he's described in his "day in the life" article. Yes, it is nice that the guys on his level help each other out - that's a far cry from what goes on in the top 100. Sure, there are many journeymen in his predicament but now that I've read his take on it, I would gladly follow him. Will check for him at USO qualifying.
He lost in the first round of qualifying to Ivan Sergeyev.

Edit: Sorry didn't notice you said USO qualifying. He lost his AO qualifying match.

·
Your visions will happen
49,177 Posts

If I was Amir, I'd do the Dustin Brown thing, get a big van, and travel all over Europe. Europe has SOOOOOOOO many tournaments every week and the distance is so small between countries it is easier to get around.

21 - 40 of 295 Posts