Mens Tennis Forums banner

Expectations for Sinner 2021?

• Wins a Grand Slam, Masters 1000 and or goes deep in most tournaments, gets into Top 10/ATP finals.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Wins a Masters , goes deep in most tournaments and stays in and out of top 10 barely making ATP Fina

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Wins a few or a couple 500s/ 250s , goes deep in a few tournaments and stays in top 20

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Wins one or two small tournaments , maybe one deep run and stays in top 30/40.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Wins one tournament, otherwise inconsistent and is top 50 +

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goes backwards and loses a bunch of R1 s and makes his way down to top 100+ (Slump year)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.6%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sinner has done well enough in 2020 and seems to be on the ascendancy, winning his first title and building upon an already great game.

Over two years his ranking has shot up from 1400 to current #37 in the world.

He is on the tail end of Next Gen , as he is about 3/4/5 years younger than his compatriots. Medvedev , Zverev , Tsitsipas, Khachanov, Coric, and a few others have established themselves since 2017 ish , while Sinner is a bit newer.

He brings a unique game, which is not comparable to most other players in tennis history.... maybe a Davydenko , Berdych, Agassi. He has a super solid baseline ground game , almost effortlessly half volleying forehands and backhands right on the baseline.

What do you expect for 2021 for Sinner? He does have to deal with a well established Next Gen + Djokovic/ Nadal , so it won't be easy, but things are looking good.

Poll included, discuss. Trying to make poll options realistic as possible. To unrealistic dreams, to worst case scenario.

And making sure to @Budadiii

·
Registered
17,758 Posts
We had this thread pretty much twice:

·
justice for all
16,228 Posts
I, as not a big fan but someone who still likes him, think realistic and ambitious expectations would be:
  • win his first 500
  • reach a masters 1000 final
  • reach a slam SF
  • be TOP10 at the end of the season

·
9,510 Posts
I, as not a big fan but someone who still likes him, think realistic and ambitious expectations would be:
  • win his first 500
  • reach a masters 1000 final
  • reach a slam SF
  • be TOP10 at the end of the season
Lol almost identical

·
Super Moderator
12,326 Posts
He will need to improve his serve I think to be competitive on Hard courts, should be a big threat in clay season , if we have a full season with all the Masters

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
probably win a couple of 500s and 250s at most

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I voted other because you are gonna get like ten tournaments that actually get played in 2021, and probably only two of them will be Slams and you'll lose probably half the masters too.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Well, he should aim high but realistically(if the season goes by as it should) I think he will win 1 masters, reach 1 slam SF(another 1 or 2 QF) and additional 3-4 minor titles, kinda similar to zverev in 2016-17. This may be a bit optimistic but I think its manageable.

Reactions: Kowchi

·
9,510 Posts
I voted other because you are gonna get like ten tournaments that actually get played in 2021, and probably only two of them will be Slams and you'll lose probably half the masters too.
10? Wev had 10 since restart and next year will be almost normal. Crazy post

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had this thread pretty much twice:

Oh well. We are in off season. A mod can merge the thread if they'd like.

What I want for Sinner vs. expectation.

Want: Win 2 masters and get into Top 10.

Reality: Win a 500. Get to final of Masters 1000 , make R4 of a Grand Slam, brush Top 10.

·
Registered
17,758 Posts
Oh well. We are in off season. A mod can merge the thread if they'd like.

What I want for Sinner vs. expectation.

Want: Win 2 masters and get into Top 10.

Reality: Win a 500. Get to final of Masters 1000 , make R4 of a Grand Slam, brush Top 10.
thats it?

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats it?
Yeah I'd expect to get further , but we have yet to see the mental strength of Sinner.

Slams are tough to be consistent at.

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Who voted for Sinner winning a slam 🤔?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don’t think he’ll win a Masters but he should be Top 10.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I expect him to qualify for Big Boys' Finals at the end of the year.
Some good runs in Masters, probably no title though (maybe Paris if he's in good form at that time).
As for slams, 2 QF, maybe one SF.
3 titles, including 1 or 2 500.

I'm very curious to see him on grass actually. I suspect he could do well.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The reason MTF thinks Sinner's game is unique is because most posters were born after 2005, I suppose. Every single NextGen player played very attractive matches at 18-19, without any pressure.

His game is the carbon copy of the Bollettieri academy players. Not a single stroke in his arsenal is unique.

He is a huge talent, nonetheless. No doubt about that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts