Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
These are exhos, so please use the exhibition forum to talk about these events.

Link below
http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=90

2016 EDIT:
We count as exhibition all tournaments which are not sanctioned by the ITF or the ATP, do not provide ranking points or prize money and have the sole purpose of entertainment.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Re: Abu Dhabi, Hopman Cup, Kooyong Exhibitions and Result Threads

I would exclude Hopman Cup from the list in the title. It is a sanctioned ITF event as much as Davis Cup or Fed Cup, the mixed version, if you will.

I would say Abu Dhabi is an invitational tournament offering winner take all prize money.

It's similar to many invitational events of the past, which many of us saw in the 70's and 80's.

The question is do we limit General Messages to only ATP main tour events and the ITF majors, and ITF Davis Cup? Do we exclude ATP challenger events? Do we exclude other ITF events like Hopman Cup? Do we exclude invitational events like Abu Dhabi? What about IPTL? It's a legitimate tennis league with prize money, 1 million to the winning team, right?

If there are no ATP points and doesn't count on ATP H2H stats does automatically mean it is an exhibition? Not in this poster's opinion.

What should be the criteria to separate legitimate tennis competitions that can be mentioned in General Messages from exhibitions? Do we need the strict separation that the OP (formerly mod) suggests?

See Slasher1985's thread stating Hopman Cup is not an exho here

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: evilmindbulgaria

·
Rankings Master
16,074 Posts
Re: Abu Dhabi, Hopman Cup, Kooyong Exhibitions and Result Threads

IPTL is allowed in GM because it happens during off season and there is nothing going on, not even Challengers. Hopman Cup definitely must be allowed in GM being sanctioned by the ITF. The rule should be simple enough:

All ITF or ATP sanctioned events are allowed in GM, except:
- Challenger, Futures, Davis Cup or Junior matches which do not generate discussion (threads are compressed or moved in the tournament thread of their section).
- Doubles matches, which belong in the Doubles section (except Davis Cup World Group matches).

Will change the title to properly reflect a more general and easier to follow rule.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
I don't know that we will ever get consensus on which events are pure "exhos", and which are not, and even the definition, which seems to depends on how people (players, fans, etc) feel about it, rather than following a more strict/logical definition.

The argument could go on and on. It's nothing new. I remember a lot of discussion in the 70's and 80's regarding classification of different events. Of course, then it was even more confusing with multiple tours, many more invitational events, etc. We know the struggle ATP has with counting historical statistics.

Each individual will call an event what they want, never mind its official label. Some people in this forum think anything less than a Masters 1000 is a "mickey mouse" event.

I think as it relates to the forum though, we simply need to know where we can post about the event - in GM or other sub-forums.

I think you've made that pretty clear. Thanks.

Respectfully,
masterclass

1 - 4 of 4 Posts