Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brazilian tv station thats broadcasting TMS Toronto had an exclusive interview with Guga about his retirement. Ill translate it here.

"I felt a little of tireness, too, because of last week, I´m still on this rehabilitation stage, from a surgery, and the guys told me that this happens, and some days maybe I will feel a little more tired, other days less, and I think we shouldn´t risk it too much now, it´s a time to be careful, in a match like today, especially, where the opponent had won the first set and the strength of my legs was starting to go away, I´m coming from a tough week and... Well, I think it was the right thing to do, now I have to prepare myself for some days, evaluate if it´s posible to play Cincinnati or if I´ll have to make it to the other tournaments. I´m still on a stage where I can´t take too much risk."

Not certain for Cincinnati... :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

:fiery: :fiery: :mad: :fiery: :fiery:

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
thanks Hitman. i don't care if Guga is not ready for Cincy. he needs to rest and recover properly. i have felt all along that he rushed back too quickly into playing. defending his Roland Garros title should not have been that important -- of course that's easy for me to say since i don;t have a competitive bone in my body!

i'm glad that Guga recognises that he is not ready and that he needs more time to heal properly. take all the time you need baby. your fans ain't going nowhere.... :hearts: :hearts:

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some other report, from todays paper here. Much better news then the ones we got yesterday.

Guga is scared

Brazilian Gustavo Kuerten retired from his first round match on Toronto Masters Series, Canada. After losing the first set 7-5 to Andrei Pavel, Guga felt tired and, afraid of compromising the rehabilitation from his hip surgery, didnt come back to court.
After playing three matches in four days - reached the quarterfinals of Los Angeles, last week - Guga didnt get 100% of his conditions and felt lack of strength in his right leg during the match.
- I was already feeling tired before the match. My body is still not getting ready fast from one week to the other, and I didnt want to risk it. I have to be careful, because Im still on rehabilitation time - said Guga, referring to the hip arthroscopy (spell?) done in February.
The brazilian, number 20 in the world, tried to stay in the court, calling for the trainer, but decided to abandon the match to avoid risking his rehabilitation and not to compromise the rest of his season.
- The doctors said that this is normal and that I have to take it easy. Really, on hard courts the impact is different from clay and this was just the second tournament I played in this surface.
Guga told us that it was hard to take the decision of pulling out:
- I arrived with big expectations for this week, the court was packed with fans, but the time comes where you have to evaluate things deeply. It could be that even winning maybe I could not be able to play the next match, or even destroying the whole rest of the season. I tried my best.
Guga, who had reached the third round in Toronto last year, didnt define if he will play the Cincinnati Masters next week, where he was the winner last year. After that, he plays the UsOpen, Brasil Open, and Davis Cup. Guga said he would save the best in him for the matches in Brazil.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
i agree that he may be scared. maybe he needs a shrink to get over his fear of being re-injured. if he doesn't, he may remain overly tentative. i've seen it happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts