Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rankings Master
15,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rankings are back this Monday, and yes, Djokovic can now extend his record. But outside this realm of Gods, there are some other mortals ranked below #3. As you may know, the ATP use a 22-month ranking rule to cover transition through COVID-19 suspension in order to ensure players don't drop points, but surprise, there are exceptions. Among the 10-15 players that do not benefit is Nicolas Jarry, dropping to 976 from 89.

The WTA has used this same internal rule too, with effect for 5 players.

·
21,309 Posts
Jarry is on a substance related ban, if I'm not mistaken. So, it's quite understandable that the ranking period extension did not apply to him.

Who are the other exceptions?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Jarry is on a substance related ban, if I'm not mistaken. So, it's quite understandable that the ranking period extension did not apply to him.

To me that doesn't really make sense. Has there ever been any precedence that another ranking system was applied to players on a ban than to the others?

·
Rankings Master
15,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Makes sense, as another such case is Enrique Lopez Perez, banned for match fixing.

·
Rankings Master
15,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other names include: Jonathan Kanar (match fixing), Issam Haitham Taweel (match fixing), Youssef Hossam (life ban for match fixing), Mateo Nicolas Martinez (doping), Beibit Zhukayev (doping), Arklon Huertas del Pino (doping), Maksim Tikhomirov (doping).

So, it seems indeed, @Martin12 , this time, ATP has applied different ranking rules for players caught in serious violation.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
It's a shame that he was too stupid to get caught.

A few deeper runs in big events would have afforded him a nice sports doctor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts