Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
5 guys and the No. 1 position: Moya, Lleyton, JC, Andre and Roger.

These 5 started out the year so strong and now are having such bad losses.

*Moya can't buy a win and has tumbled from No. 4 to No. 7. Seems like things started to go bad after he stated publicly that he wanted to be No. 1.

*Lleyton started out No. 1, got sidetracked by his own ego, is starting to pull himself back together but is still losing matches he would have won a year ago.

*JC was strong all year, then realized that he could gain the No. 1 position by winning a tournament two weeks ago, and has been struggling ever since. Now Federer has leapfrogged over him.

*Andre feels the heat of these young guns wanting what he's got. When he was almost invincible at the start of the year, he's been suffering tough losses since the French Open.

*Federer wasn't probably even thinking of the number 1 position, having more of the pressure to win a slam. Now that he's won Wimbledon, he has to start thinking of being No. 1. It finally got to him in Canada, when he failed to beat his Bagel Boy Roddick for the seventh time to claim the No. 1 crown.

I hope these five get it together, because losses early in draws ruin what could be exciting matchups between top players. I don't want to endure another Henman-Gonzelez type final.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Re: Re: Everyone is feeling the pressure of No. 1

I like that, having to "endure" a Henman-Gonzalez final. Personally I would have thought that's a very entertaining contrast of styles and personalities, the attacking British net-rusher versus the attacking Chilean baseliner, but obviously not.

Federer has to make the Cincinnati quarters to gain no. 1, and considering that he'll probably have to beat his bete noire Nalbandian to do it in the second round followed by Gonzalez in the last 16 I'm doubtful that he'll make it.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Sjengster, you mention Gonzo... he's playing Cinci?! Well, I guess the draw is out or something, but have you heard any news about his injury?! Anyone?!

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
It's the 5th meeting that he beat Fed. Not 7th. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
TF, obviously you would like to see a small group of four or five players dominating and having long-lasting rivalries against eachother, so go watch women's tennis and leave men's tennis alone.

Anyway, I disagree with you about these players feeling the pressure for No. 1. The only exception is Roger, who may have gotten tight trying to close out Roddick today to reach the top spot.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Everyone is feeling the pressure of No. 1

Leo said:
TF, obviously you would like to see a small group of four or five players dominating and having long-lasting rivalries against eachother, so go watch women's tennis and leave men's tennis alone.

Are you still steaming over me not determining your birth order :confused:

Anyway, anyone whos been on the boards awhile knows my positions and I don't have to explain anything to you. You're starting to become annoying.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Everyone is feeling the pressure of No. 1

Tennis Fool said:
Are you still steaming over me not determining your birth order :confused:
Hah, don't give yourself that much credit.

Anyway, anyone whos been on the boards awhile knows my positions and I don't have to explain anything to you. You're starting to become annoying.
Simply suggesting that you don't have to degrade players like Henman and Gonzalez for their achievements.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Re: Re: Everyone is feeling the pressure of No. 1

Leo said:
Simply suggesting that you don't have to degrade players like Henman and Gonzalez for their achievements.
You could have said that in the first place. Yet another passive-agressive poster :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts