Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, I wanna start off by saying all the credit to Grigor and it was only a matter of time before the kid broke through in Grandslams, as he has far too much talent.

However; today and the many months before, after the Llendl split, Andy Murray has gone back to his 'bad inherent natural habits'... Is it just me, or is his game lacking the natural spark it had in the past with Llendl? So many painful, weightless, nothing-shots hit down-the-center of the court with no depth/length, nothing at all. On many several separate occasions today he had opportunities to actually take the ball on the front-foot and be aggressive with his favoured backhand. Never once did he lean forward on it and try to make something happen. Where was taking the initiative?

Today it was like a bottle of coke that had lost all it's fizz from having it's cap left off for an hours. Flat. No pop in his energy, nor his serve, nor his ground-strokes. As a 27 year old man (Player) why should you always need that little voice of encouragement in the corner to play aggressive? Surely you should know that's what you should continue trying to do, as it's evidently been working for you the past?! Crazy. That's what won him Wimbledon last year.

Alright; I get the point that is by his nature, intuitively the bloke's defensive minded as player, but isn't it ludicrous to think you can just attempt to grind down players at this level. That sort of passiveness would have been bitch dealt with on a hard-court, forget even a grass-court!

I appreciate he was making a lot of unforced errors and especially on the forehand side, so clearly something was up and he wasn't playing well, but I don't really think it would have mattered. The mind-set was so OLD SCHOOL Murray! Why go back to being essentially a pusher for the core of a match against an aggressive talent like Dimitrov?

Btw; this was in a statement by Dimitrov in his post match interview with the BBC: "As soon as I started warming up I realise his game was not at the highest level." - I think that was really humble of him to say that. Respect and he'll be getting my support versus Novak in the Semi final. :yeah:

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
He just played so badly today. Even when he was just simply trying to get the ball back in to play he hit the net half the time. I doubt he'd have had better success trying to blast the ball close to the lines.

Before today I though he had a good balance of offence and defence in this tournment but today he just wasn't playing well enough.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Yeah he was very passive today. He played aggressively in some of his FO matches, but today he just wasn't good enough. Bad day at the office, despite Dimi playing well.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Murray was passive vs Verdasco in QF last year and vs Cilic in QF in US Open when he won those slams under Lendl, he was 2 sets down to Verdasco at Wimbledon 2013 and a set and 5-1 to Cilic in US open 2012.

Lets not rewrite history and act like Murray was hyper aggressive in those slams, he just played better and the opponent got tight, Murray always throws in 1 dud performance in a slam it's just if the opponent takes advantage.

He could of easily lost either of those QF's

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He just played so badly today. Even when he was just simply trying to get the ball back in to play he hit the net half the time. I doubt he'd have had better success trying to blast the ball close to the lines.

Before today I though he had a good balance of offence and defence in this tournment but today he just wasn't playing well enough.
I'm not talking about aiming to clean the lines mate, but you must admit he wasn't playing with the same controlled aggression on the front-foot as before in previous years?

It's not even as if Dimitrov wasn't allowing him to play his game. He wasn't smothered Murray, especially and particularly after the first set, where Dimitrov's first serve percentage dried up and he was making less of them on the crux moments.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every Murray match ever.. in the history of history.
I'm not gonna even entertain your rocket take off to trolling in this thread.

Don't have time for people that don't wish to discuss tennis and instead only looking to player bash and hate. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone that doesn't believe / think Murray was a much more aggressive player before his surgeory and especially before Llendl's parting, is either kidding themselves or down-right lying.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I said in an other thread that when Murray's BH isn't firing, nothing else works. To be fair to Dimitrov he went after Murray's strength and pinned him back. I think Murray was also taken back by how good Dimitrov's ROS was.

It's difficult for any player never mind Murray to impose themselves on a match when you're not even doing the basics right. His FH was a disgrace, he hit more into the net than he did over it.

Murray needs a big USO and Asian swing to get his ranking in check and start building towards 2015. Realistically 2014 was always gonna be a rebuild regardless of what he or his supporters say openly.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It takes time to come back from a serious injury.
Oh come on man, how long has it been now?

Rafa was out with injury post Rosol's obliteration of him at Wimbledon a couple of years back and he came back, long a few matches on clay to Zeballos and co and then went on to win the two slams and 2 masters series. The Indian Wells, the French, Cincinatti and the US Open.

Having surgery doesn't require over more than one year to recover fully from.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
I'm not gonna even entertain your rocket take off to trolling in this thread.

Don't have time for people that don't wish to discuss tennis and instead only looking to player bash and hate. :rolleyes:
This is a nonsensical troll thread... a bunch of whining. You aren't talking tennis.. you are trying to rationalize why your favorite is plummeting down the rankings.

Truth be told... all seriousness he hasn't made much if any changes in his game before or after Llendl. It's just confidence...his game style is passive, always has been a counter puncher. Since the time he broke onto tour...serve and counter punch. He will never play like DelPo or Soderling, he will play like Murray. At this point he's just not playing well.

Or like I said, he sucks.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is a nonsensical troll thread... a bunch of whining. You aren't talking tennis.. you are trying to rationalize why your favorite is plummeting down the rankings.

Truth be told... all seriousness he hasn't made much if any changes in his game before or after Llendl. It's just confidence...his game style is passive, always has been a counter puncher. Since the time he broke onto tour...serve and counter punch. He will never play like DelPo or Soderling, he will play like Murray. At this point he's just not playing well.

Or like I said, he sucks.
You're a hater. I don't expect a balanced and well concerted argument from someone that has clearly a degree of feeling animosity towards Murray. I can sense it in your tone.

Your attempts to derail this thread have been reported to the mod-team and you're being placed on ignore.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
I'm not talking about aiming to clean the lines mate, but you must admit he wasn't playing with the same controlled aggression on the front-foot as before in previous years?

It's not even as if Dimitrov wasn't allowing him to play his game. He wasn't smothered Murray, especially and particularly after the first set, where Dimitrov's first serve percentage dried up and he was making less of them on the crux moments.
I thought he was playing with controlled aggression in the early rounds this year. That obviously disappeared today and he was very passive. I agree that it wasn't as if Dimitrov was doing much to stop him being aggressive but when you are playing defensively and still making loads of UE's the natural instinct isn't to be more aggressive.

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
ClutchOnandWin; said:
Ever since Andy Murray parted company from Llendl he has gone back to being PASSIVE!
So many painful, weightless, nothing-shots hit down-the-center of the court with no depth/length, nothing at all. On many several separate occasions today he had opportunities to actually take the ball on the front-foot and be aggressive with his favoured backhand. Never once did he lean forward on it and try to make something happen. Where was taking the initiative?
3 hours ago:

Murray's been training and playing at this level for years now. I don't think it will be a fitter player contest though, so I agree. It's grass and both are attacking players now a days.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts