Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Karolovic's right knee got injured right in the beginning of the match..

·
Registered
10,605 Posts
Something strange about Rui Machado is that he plays only futures (except for Estoril), but wins almost all of them. Why doesn't he move up to challenger level?

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
I think it was a pre-existing injury, there has been talk about his injury and in the past he also had problems with his knee. Maybe it worsened in this game.

I am inclined to give Machado a little credit though, he was on fire in lower-level tournaments and facing Karlovic on clay he wouldn't have been totally without chance even with a fitter Karlovic.

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it was a pre-existing injury, there has been talk about his injury and in the past he also had problems with his knee. Maybe it worsened in this game.

I am inclined to give Machado a little credit though, he was on fire in lower-level tournaments and facing Karlovic on clay he wouldn't have been totally without chance even with a fitter Karlovic.
You're probably right. But in the begining of the match it got uglier..

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Something strange about Rui Machado is that he plays only futures (except for Estoril), but wins almost all of them. Why doesn't he move up to challenger level?
I think his ranking never got high enough, and he had some setbacks in the past. He will probably start playing challengers from now on because his ranking has improved.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Rui had an injury when he was still going up in the ranks and when he comeback last year he injured himself again...this year he's playing really well and in 7 weeks he won 5 futures + 1 SF and didn't play the other week.
so he didn't play challengers because he couldn't(didn't have rank)...

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I watched the match, and Karlovic was struggling from the beginning not even bothering to move towards cross court shorts, but give credit to machado he played very good, and has a good claycourt game for a futures player.

·
Registered
10,605 Posts
Rui had an injury when he was still going up in the ranks and when he comeback last year he injured himself again...this year he's playing really well and in 7 weeks he won 5 futures + 1 SF and didn't play the other week.
so he didn't play challengers because he couldn't(didn't have rank)...
Thanks for the explanation :wavey: . Good luck to him the rest of the year! :hatoff:

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
its like a resurgence in portuguese tennis. all their players suddenly come alive for 1 week of the year

1 - 20 of 26 Posts