Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired performance from Rui. :worship: :worship:
He was better and more active player today, with more creativity, with more offensive attitude.
Sousa mostly was only hitting hard, without any purpose. Looking for his coach after every single lost point, kinda like he was blaming him for a bad tactical game plan... Dunno...

·
Bring it Home
21,004 Posts
I only watched the last few games. Looked like a grunting duel. :lol:

Machado had 0-30 serving for the match, but won a point with a beautiful drop shot and after than 3 terrible backhand errors by Sousa gave him the match.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Too bad.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Machado approaching top 100 (in the race).. fuck me

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think for people who say that Sousa is a clay court player now it was very easy to see who was playing in his best surface, who is a clay court player of the two. Sousa can only win some matches on clay against players that aren´t good on the surface. He is better on hard or grass because he doesn´t put much spin in his shots and his serve works better there.
Machado is the opposite. Lots of spin, and he was pushing sousa and creating angles untill having the space to finish the point.
I think Sousa already improved a bit on clay comparing to last year but I was expecting a loss or a very difficult win here for the reason I told and also because Machado was feeling no pressure and at the same was playing with the pride of a former #1 of his country competing against the current #1.
I didn´t like the draw, I never like when 2 portuguese players have to play against each other, but at the end I think this win would be more relevant for Machado that had points to defend here (that in a loss would mean dropping many places in ranking) and for Sousa he lost last year 1st round also, so no problem with points for him.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Anyone who has double bagelled Tursunov should be able to beat Sousa on clay

·
Registered
893 Posts
Wow, didn't expect this one... Maybe it is time for Sousa to change things. He had a very bad end of last year and this year, except for one tournament in France (and maybe the AO), only bad results... Maybe he should question himself and his coaching staff? Congrats to Rui by the way!

·
MONSOON season.
82,370 Posts
Wow, Rui :yeah:

I like both guys but Rui needs the points much more.

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
:haha: hypesa exposed at home, hope his tards open their eyes(but they wont and will probably claim that machado played top 5 level today)

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
26 years old frustrated virgin's comments aside, this result is not shocking. I don't think Sousa has ever performed all that well at the Estoril Open. 3 wins in the last 5 or 6 years, two of them were retirements (the other was against Elias, a mental midget himself).
His game is that of a low top 100 player, abhorrent looking, solid-ish, not having a peak or low per se.

Congrats to Rui, solid result after a nice season so far.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts