Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
Do we even know this yet, Jerry? The show was tonight of course, but it will not be shown till Sunday. In all honesty, who expects Federer to win it? I give him a 2% chance of winning it, if that, and that is a sad thing. Well, he won the one that counts; the Laureus Award.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
Who gives a damn about American sports besides Yankees ?

This is an international board.. :zzz: :zzz:

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
ESPY award = best American athlete award. Let's not pretend otherwise. The Laureus is all the really counts for Roger.

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
Who gives a damn about American sports besides Yankees ?

This is an international board.. :zzz: :zzz:
I despise the Yankees, so take that back! :mad: ;) :p

·
Banned
253 Posts
That "NFL" guy set a record that's been reset by different people every year now for the last couple, just to give you an idea of how flakey the ESPY idiots are.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
The USA doesn't give out awards to world sportsmen very often, I see no reason why that would change for Federer.

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
How about Beckham ? :confused: I'd think this one was his... :shrug:

:eek:
More people here are interested in his hot wife, Posh Spice, then his on field performance. Beckham's not going to make soccer, or football, important in this country. We've got too many sports as it is. It just isn't going to happen, just like when the NFL tried to expand its league into Europe.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Beckham's not going to make soccer, or football, important in this country. We've got too many sports as it is. It just isn't going to happen, just like when the NFL tried to expand its league into Europe.
Living in the USA you know more than I do on the matter if expansion but it isn't really comprable with the NFL trying to expand. Football/Soccer is the most popular sport in the world by a HUGE margin which is why it seems more likely that it will grow to be popular where it isn't already. The NFL is not a world sport at all so expansion is far harder.

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
As far as the US is concerned, soccer/futbol is the sport of the future and always will be ;)

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
Living in the USA you know more than I do on the matter if expansion but it isn't really comprable with the NFL trying to expand. Football/Soccer is the most popular sport in the world by a HUGE margin which is why it seems more likely that it will grow to be popular where it isn't already. The NFL is not a world sport at all so expansion is far harder.
This is true. The NFL never was, and is never going to be a global sport, and that's why it didn't make sense when they did try to expand it. I just dont see soccer catching on here. Sure Beckham will draw interest, and will probably sell out every game he plays in, but over here we love our football and not futbol. Even the NHL has lost a lot of viewers over the past couple of years. (they do have an awful commissioner though)
For most of the US, we only get into soccer once every 4 year for the World Cup. I honestly think Beckham is doing this just for the publicity and the money. I mean the competition here cant be nearly as good as it is over in Europe? Not even close.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Roger cooooooooooooooool~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

·
Registered
370 Posts
as if the laureus awards arn't also self-aggrandizing, pat on the back, ass licking crap as well, anyone would think their the nobel peace prize, they were founded in Monte-Carlo, that says it all

·
Banned
253 Posts
as if the laureus awards arn't also self-aggrandizing, pat on the back, ass licking crap as well, anyone would think their the nobel peace prize, they were founded in Monte-Carlo, that says it all
Hmm. I think the Laureus awards are generally pretty fair. They might have had a few sentimental favorites(armstrong). The last awards they had:

2 Americans
2 Germans
1 Swiss
1 Frenchie
1 Italian
1 Russian
1 Spainiard

And Federer and Schumacher have won the "biggest" award of alll of them several times each.

I have no idea what the hell "anyone would think their the nobel peace prize, they were founded in Monte-Carlo, that says it all" means.

Edit: Fixing the award name. I'm not sure what Lazuerus award would be given for, perhaps breaking 100 years old?

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
Expected :zzz:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts