Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this on Twitter and my heart sunk down to my stomach. Thank God I have NBC Sports and Tennic Channel, but i really did enjoy espn's coverage:

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
I'm still not sure how Tennis Channel was able to secure so much coverage for a slam, their advertising partners are really poor quality when it's not a slam week.

I don't blame espn, the coverage was really fractured and most of it was replayed. They're just waiting for NBC to give up (which they will) so they can swoop in and take it back. I have my doubts on TC's foundation as well.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'm still not sure how Tennis Channel was able to secure so much coverage for a slam, their advertising partners are really poor quality when it's not a slam week.

I don't blame espn, the coverage was really fractured and most of it was replayed. They're just waiting for NBC to give up (which they will) so they can swoop in and take it back. I have my doubts on TC's foundation as well.
Tennis Channel has a monopoly on the US tennis market where avid fans can only watch 250+ tourneys and lower rounds of major tourneys if they subscribe to TC. Enough of us do subscribe, so Tennis Channel is doing fine.

:)

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
RG organizers are terribly greedy and don't even put out proper highlights.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Tennis Channel has a monopoly on the US tennis market where avid fans can only watch 250+ tourneys and lower rounds of major tourneys if they subscribe to TC. Enough of us do subscribe, so Tennis Channel is doing fine.

As our only option, it can do better. It isn't readily available for a lot of cable providers, and is usually planted in some second-tier sports package. I do like their coverage of IW and the Masters 1000 series, but their 250/500 coverage is spotty. They also don't have the financial backing to continue live U.S Open coverage, so that's two slams where they're resorted to giving highlights. And the third major AO, they only have a two hour window of coverage before they hand off to ESPN.

I am comparing this service to what Europeans get, and it is no contest who gets better coverage. I am rooting for TC, but it's been 12 years and I feel like the coverage hasn't progressed fast enough.

U.S Open article:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/tennis-channel-will-no-longer-air-live-u-s-open-matches.html

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Honestly, US coverage SUCKS.
Literally, outside of American tournaments and grand slams, they only show the 1000s, and 5 or 6 500s, and 2 or 3 250s. (at least for ESPN)
TC can't be shown on Cablevision, so I can't watch it. (I hate Cablevision)
Honestly, I'm glad ESPN gave up on the French Open, my least favorite slam and the one I really care about the least.

US coverage sucks because more Americans care more about golf :)lol: how is that entertaining?), football, basketball, and baseball.

Hell, even ice hockey is debatable as to whether or not it's more covered.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly, US coverage SUCKS.
Literally, outside of American tournaments and grand slams, they only show the 1000s, and 5 or 6 500s, and 2 or 3 250s. (at least for ESPN)
TC can't be shown on Cablevision, so I can't watch it. (I hate Cablevision)
Honestly, I'm glad ESPN gave up on the French Open, my least favorite slam and the one I really care about the least.

US coverage sucks because more Americans care more about golf :)lol: how is that entertaining?), football, basketball, and baseball.

Hell, even ice hockey is debatable as to whether or not it's more covered.
The problem is that tennis is a global sport (and without "leagues") and most Americans don't like global sports (especially without the "leagues"). Most Americans want to watch their Patriots vs. Cowboys, two polarizing teams in their United States, rather than watch Federer vs. Djokovic, two amazing tennis players, but still foreigners without the polarizing nature that many Americans seem to consume. I mean, the whole "Deflategate" ridiculousness was the most overblown garbage I've ever seen, but a lot of people LOVED the coverage. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Americans love "world champions" and especially individual stars and are generally very mobile (not stuck up) and extremely commercialized so one would think tennis would be for them and it seems designed for them. But RG is the worst tournament obviously, so no wonder it was cut.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Good riddance, The French Open is really a shit event that has fallen behind the other Slams.

ESPN is making a smart decision to focus on Wimbledon and the US Open, where their wall-to-wall coverage is outstanding and ground-breaking for American TV. These are the 2 events Americans truly care about and understand. There's no need to bid heavily on the French, especially not until NBC is out of the picture.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts

TTC is barely available and their coverage and commentary is very poor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts