Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been frustrated by the ESPN coverage so far. If I must point a finger to the cause of the declining popularity of ATP tennis in US, I’ll point to ESPN and their single-minded strategy of promoting only the American players in their coverage. 5 days past and we only got to see a point here and there of Guga, Federer, Safin, Ferrero, Grosjen … Instead, we have to watch the most boring match of Andre and Lee, Roddick sluggishly oust whoever (and I can’t even remember who he plays), and what more, Fish got humiliated by losing 11 games in a roll and lost the match. Those are hardly interesting tennis. And I HEARD Guga against Arazi, Hewitt beat Larrson, Scud oust Paradorn and Ferrero played the magician were incredible matches and hell, I’ll never know. I fairly enjoy last night’s match of Agassi against Escude, but other brilliant matches are not finding their way into my screen. But Hewitt bageled his opponents is fun to watch :rolleyes: . What a terrible choice of coverage :fiery: .

I think it’s a dangerous strategy to place all your eggs in one basket. I understand they want to focus on the American players and they believe that the American viewers only want to watch Americans. Fair enough. But god forbids if these young American players don’t live up to their expectation and those old guns have to retire. And viewers still have no clues how to pronounce those top European/South American/Asia players name, and less hope of recognizing their faces. And you think casual viewer is gonna tune in to watch tennis anymore? Even if Roddick and Blake make it to the top, it’s an awfully tall task for them to single-handedly carry the load of tennis interest in the States.

I mean, as famous as Safin in the tennis world and I believe he would easily top every other popularity poll out there. And why wouldn’t they try to make sure the viewers learn about these exciting non-American players. Try to make sure even the casual viewers will know who’s the top one out there. A safe investment strategy required diversification and you thought those businessmen should have thought of that.

I don’t know about what you think, but I think ESPN really sucks. And is that damn Tennis Channel going to be on air :rolleyes: ?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I feel ya. ESPN is always so far up Andre's ass, It's pathetic! :mad:

Tennis Channel We need you!

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Piss of tennis channel - god knows that the tennis channel will somehow fuck up the weak coverage that TSN gets.

Moving on - I agree with you.

Why the heck would they show Mardy Fish blow the biggest moment of his life, and tank his way home- when they had Fabrice and Juan Carlos playing a hell of a match?

Disgusting.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Guga vs. Arazi was the freakin' best match of the tournament! It was highly entertaining!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rebecca said:

Why the heck would they show Mardy Fish blow the biggest moment of his life, and tank his way home- when they had Fabrice and Juan Carlos playing a hell of a match?

Disgusting.
The most annoying thing is, every time the score update came, these commentators started saying...oh that Ferrero and Santoro match is brilliant, high quality tennis and they are hitting winners left and right. And now, let's go back to the Fish match... when clearly Fish has a complete meltdown and hitting ugly errors everywhere.

Why tell us all these things when they aren't going to show that brilliant match they kept talking about :rolleyes: .

And Fish is pretty much done after the 4th set. Just felt embarrassed for him to have to be out there. And they have to show him the way he lost. No one is going to remember Fish beat Moya and get to the 3rd round. They can only remember him looking silly and losing to Ferreira after a big lead. And my guess is, American viewers aren't going to be looking forward to his next match any time soon. Once again, prove that ESPN is damn stupid :mad: .

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Now explain me how ESPN in BRAZIL!! makes us see those...
I got plenty of Andy, lots of Andre, Blake, Venus, Serena, Seles...... AND FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He could go back to the goddamned sea he came from...
I couldnt see Guga vs Arazi in BRAZIL!!!! :rolleyes:

Anyway, its just a note for you to know ESPN is fucking shit worldwide.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I completely agree...I've been saying the same thing to my family this whole wk...

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
i know, this coverage has been just awful. one day ESPN chose to show the tape of Serena's 6-4, 6-0 slaughtering of Els Callens, instead of playing the real, competitive, LIVE tennis that was going on at the time!! and the other day Jimbo said they would go over to Vodafone Arena to watch Juan Carlos vs. Fabrice after Ferreira won the 4th set over that fucking Fish, but they stayed with that match until the embarassing 6-0 end. and then they cut off their coverage at 4-3 in the 5th for Ferrero.. why couldn't they have shown the end of this match?! i'm fuming. :fiery: :fiery:

where can we complain to the assholes at ESPN?

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
I just finish watching the game of Hewitt vs Stepanek on tape. It was a live match, Hewitt won first 2 set and guess WHAT! They played Serena demolishing Tamarine in 2nd set instead of finish Hewitt match. By the time Serena's match was over, so as Hewitt's match.

What the **** ESPN people are thinking!!!!! :fiery:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts