Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to put this here on GM, but I thought some folks might be interested. He says fun a lot- so he must be enjoying himself on the court in "the Florida" as he puts it.

SportsNation Buzzmaster: We've got Kei right here! Send in those questions!

Art, San Francisco: Congrats, Kei! What is your new goal for this year, now that you've won a tournament?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: My goal was to make the top 100 by the end of this year. But I'm already 131 right now. I would like to get a main draw for the French Open and the top 50 by the end of this year. That's my goal.

Brad (Gadsden,Alabama): Kei, Who was your fav. tennis player growing up?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: Roger Federer. He's so talented. I like to see him in his prime. He's fun to watch.

Yuko Watanabe, Yokohama, Japan: Do you miss Japan? Do you miss your friends and family?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: So much. Yes. But when I first came here, I was so home sick. But right now it's OK. Sometimes I still get homesick but I have friends here in the U.S.

Laurelin (Boston): I really enjoyed watching you play in Delray. What do you consider your best shot? I liked the flying forehand!!

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: My forehand, but everyone tells me my backhand is better.

Shaun, Little Rock, Arkansas: What effect will your success in Tennis have in getting more people involved in tennis in Japan?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: It's that famous in Japan, but right now I'm No. 1 in Japan. I hope tennis gets more popular.

Satoru, Tokyo: Many Japanese sports-shimbun cerebrate your brave challenge! Congratulations!

Lisa, Boynton Beach, FLA: Kei, I saw in the paper you don't call your parents during a tournament. Why not?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: Yeah, I used to call my parents after a big match. But the next day I lose every time. That's bad luck. So I don't call them if I'm still winning.

Shaun, Little Rock, Arkansas: I saw you play last year at the St. Vincent tournament in Little Rock. Back then, it looked like your conditioning was high enough yet to compete on the big stage, what or who has been the biggest contributor to your improved stamina?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: I didn't get tired last week. These last two months I was working very hard. I was using weights and more training. I feel so much stronger now.

Fred (Houston): Do you train here in the States or back home in Japan? Did you go to high school? Do you have a fallback plan if this tennis thing doesn't work out?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: Here, in the Florida.

A. Fitch (San Jose): How do you feel about becoming a Japanese superstar overnight? You are like the Roger Federer of Japan!!

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: I still can't believe it that I won an ATP tournament. I don't feel like a superstar yet.

John Eisner, San Francisco, CA: What is your favorite food?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: Sushi or the Japanese food.

Mika, San Jose california: Did you eat Asian food in San Jose?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: I'm trying to get Japanese food tonight.

Carrie (Austin, Texas): One of the most noticable aspects about your game is your jumping forehand. How did you start doing that motion and what advantages do you think it brings? Thanks and good luck in the future!

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: I used to do it when I was young. Sometimes on the return, I can lift it and the shot just feels good.

Jacob Eifir, Fort Wayne, IN: Kei, what other pros have inspired you at the Bollitteri Academy?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: Tommy Haas. Xavier.

Nik, San Francisco: Congratulations on your first title Kei. How would you describe your style of game and what is your favorite surface to play on?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: I say an all-around player. I like to use more forehand. And I like clay courts.

Yuki, Tokyo: I heard you hit with Rafael Nadal before his Roland Garros final in 2006. What did you learn from the experience?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: Yeah, it was right after I won junior doubles. I was more nervous doing that than playing the doubles final. He hit every ball heavy. It's tough to play against a guy like him.

Mike in Seattle: Are you a baseball fan? Do you follow Ichiro and the other Japanese stars over here?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: No, actually. I know Ichiro and all the guys from Japan, but I don't follow them.

Jacob Eifir, Fort Wayne, IN: Why do you like red clay so much? What about the clay that suits your game?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: I have to be stronger mentally and physically. It's fun to play on clay, because I have to use all the shots - drop shots, top spin. It's fun to play on the clay.

Robert (Orlando): Is there anything in particularly different about last week regarding the way you played that helped you to win the tournament?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: My serve was better. It was good. And mentally, I was stronger than before.

Alice (Phoenix, Arizona): I heard you played soccer as a kid. How popular is that sport in Japan?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: I think it's No. 1 or 2. When I was 12, but the tennis was more fun, so I chose tennis.

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: Thank you for all the support. It was fun to play last week. A lot of people were cheering me. It was fun.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
thank you!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
He appears to be a smart and funny fella. Thanks for the script Clara

·
Banned
218 Posts
Kei is going to be a superstar of the game, both for his talent and his personality. His personality is very unique and a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: Clara Bow

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
He has great attitude. Very likeable.

·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
Clara,thanks for posting the interview :hug: He seems to be very relaxed and genial. I hope I can see him at R.G

·
Registered
350 Posts
Maybe he will have some trouble following up his victory in the coming week but I'm sure he'll be at the French Open. He has only 12 pts to defend until then. Top 100 by RG is almost a lock.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Did anyone notice that some guy named "John Eisner" asked Kei a question about food? I bet it was really Isner, and he was trying to scout a potential San Jose opponent. Not the most clever pseudonym.

By the way, you know you're young when your favorite player "growing up" is Federer. Yikes.
Yeah, because it's vital for Isner to know what Nishikori's favorite food is in order to beat him.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yeah, because it's vital for Isner to know what Nishikori's favorite food is in order to beat him.
so he can get to those Japanese restaurants and PSN him!

But anyway, I love the his attitude--his reaction to the match point, his speech, everything

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Yuki, Tokyo: I heard you hit with Rafael Nadal before his Roland Garros final in 2006. What did you learn from the experience?

SportsNation Kei Nishikori: Yeah, it was right after I won junior doubles. I was more nervous doing that than playing the doubles final. He hit every ball heavy. It's tough to play against a guy like him.
Ha ha that was me actually! :p

Thanx for the transcription!:worship:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts