Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
mirkaland said:
Equal pay for equal work though?
Look you're a fedfan, don't a lot of his matches end in three sets with him outplaying his opponent? That means he's less on court then most of the players does that mean he has to be payed less?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
are rules different in football and volley between men and women ?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Allez-H² said:
Finally! They did the right thing, womenstennis has become almost as popular (and in some countries even more popular) as menstennis. The thing about men playing more games and all and that there's more depth in it is just one argument. You have to look what matches draw the people. And so what if Kim beats player X with 6/1, 6/0 if the audience is there and they watched there's nothing to nag about. Plus WTA has a lot more depth right now then 3 years ago if you look carefully to the Slams-winners the last two years, you'll notice how many different Slam-winners there are. Only Justine H-H was able to win twice in a Slam the last two years: (2004) AO: Justine, FO: Nastya, W: Maria S. , USO: Svetlana; (2005) AO: Serena, FO: Justine, W: Venus, USO: Kim.

The WTA has numerous stars, and even if the first couple of rounds aren't always amazing the latter stages are most of the times encounters where you just go :drool:

Plus we're in 2005 people, I think it's good time to start thinking 'equal' :rolleyes:
Why the F do people think depth means that more people win Slams? The women's game is just as garbage as it ever was. There are five players who are at the top, and the rest of the tour can never beat them. Also, outside the top 10, the women are shit and have no hope in hell of pulling off upsets.

·
Registered
322 Posts
uNIVERSE mAN said:
Why the F do people think depth means that more people win Slams? The women's game is just as garbage as it ever was. There are five players who are at the top, and the rest of the tour can never beat them. Also, outside the top 10, the women are shit and have no hope in hell of pulling off upsets.
:yeah: You know Venus was outside the top 10 at Wimbledon and Mary was I dunno ranked in the 20-30 while RG :shrug: Dannilidou was ranked what, like in the 60's when she beat Justine at Wimbledon? What about Craybas that beat Serena at Wimbledon? Kuzzie losing to Bychkova at USO? Nastya losing to Lorenzo at RG? Venus losing to Karantancheva at RG? And the list goes on and on and on. Surely these upsets aren't just because the topplayers are out of form but also because the opposition is getting much better.

And euhm, before you say that besides the top 10 the women are shit, didn't Nadal and Federer win 10 touneys each this year? So who's there besides them huh?

I just don't get how you can be so bitter about this :unsure:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
LoveFifteen said:
Why the hell do some of you guys even care about prize money?! I mean, seriously, why the f-ck do you care? Does it affect you in any way whatsoever? Does it? This year at Roland Garros, Justine took home 867,000 Euro this year and Rafael Nadal took home 880,000. If Justine had gotten that extra 13,000 Euro, would your lives have fallen apart?
EXACTLY!!!

its sooooooooooooooo funny that people here are sooooooooo seriously discussing the topics like they are going to win the prize with the ten thousand euro less that they cannot afford to pay the rent anymore!!! haha!

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Allez-H² said:
:yeah: You know Venus was outside the top 10 at Wimbledon and Mary was I dunno ranked in the 20-30 while RG :shrug: Dannilidou was ranked what, like in the 60's when she beat Justine at Wimbledon? What about Craybas that beat Serena at Wimbledon? Kuzzie losing to Bychkova at USO? Nastya losing to Lorenzo at RG? Venus losing to Karantancheva at RG? And the list goes on and on and on. Surely these upsets aren't just because the topplayers are out of form but also because the opposition is getting much better.

And euhm, before you say that besides the top 10 the women are shit, didn't Nadal and Federer win 10 touneys each this year? So who's there besides them huh?

he obviously doesn't watch enough womens' tennis to know this nor would he care too :lol::bowdown:

·
F***ing have it
17,787 Posts
Allez-H² said:

:yeah: When Serena dominated in 2002, women's tennis sucked big time. Now these two guys win everything and they're too good :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
alfonsojose said:
:yeah: When Serena dominated in 2002, women's tennis sucked big time. Now these two guys win everything and they're too good :rolleyes:
gotta love the double standard :mad:

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
LoveFifteen said:
Andre won more than 500,000 at the US Open because he was 2nd place in the US Open series. I think he won around 825,000.

Why the hell do some of you guys even care about prize money?! I mean, seriously, why the f-ck do you care? Does it affect you in any way whatsoever? Does it? This year at Roland Garros, Justine took home 867,000 Euro this year and Rafael Nadal took home 880,000. If Justine had gotten that extra 13,000 Euro, would your lives have fallen apart?

Physically unattractive straight men are so pathetic ... always so mysoginistic and bitter.

As a matter of interest, why do you assume that everyone who is against equal prize money is an "unattractive straight man" - who is "pathetic.........mysoginistic and bitter"? I am a straight woman (whether I am attractive or not is not for me to say!), - and I don't agree with it at all. I am not going to go into all my arguments - they've been said before in other threads on this subject, and GWH put them very well in his long post on the first page of this thread - but it's a vast generalisation to say that all the people who dislike WTA or don't agree with equal prize money are from one particular section of society. Yes - I am a feminist to a certain extent, yes I studied hard to gain my degree and expect to be paid equal money to the men who are doing the same job as myself .....but if those men had to spend twice as long in our office then I would expect them to be paid more than me for the extra hours they have put in.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Rosie said:
As a matter of interest, why do you assume that everyone who is against equal prize money is an "unattractive straight man" - who is "pathetic.........mysoginistic and bitter"? I am a straight woman (whether I am attractive or not is not for me to say!), - and I don't agree with it at all. I am not going to go into all my arguments - they've been said before in other threads on this subject, and GWH put them very well in his long post on the first page of this thread - but it's a vast generalisation to say that all the people who dislike WTA or don't agree with equal prize money are from one particular section of society. Yes - I am a feminist to a certain extent, yes I studied hard to gain my degree and expect to be paid equal money to the men who are doing the same job as myself .....but if those men had to spend twice as long in our office then I would expect them to be paid more than me for the extra hours they have put in.
Well said Rosie, you're not ugly and you're not a man, but you're clever !

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Domino said:
Just have the women play best three of five already, sheesh ;) :p
I agree. I'm curious to see how the female players would handle it.
I don't really care about this. I think they tried to make the right decision to encourage women's tennis to get better and show them they noticed its recent progress and still noticing them they still work less hard than the men and have to keep progressing in terms of level at the same time. They tried to make everybody happy, to be balanced. It's not the end of the world if the winner is paid 13 000 euros more.
I don't really know what to think about that. But there is much more to this polemic than only a will of fairness etc...Some overreact i think... in both camps.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Domino said:
Just have the women play best three of five already, sheesh ;) :p
Then we'll have to sit through even more shit!! I mean already we can barely wait for women's tennis match to be over and real tennis to start at the Slams. At the US Open you could feel it every single evening, the anticipation for the men's match. The "hurry up and finish so we can get on with it!" attitude to the women's match even from the networks. Every time the lower ranked player held serve mentally I'm thinking "damn it! that's another extra 5 mins!".

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
delsa said:
I agree. I'm curious to see how the female players would handle it.
I don't really care about this. I think they tried to make the right decision to encourage women's tennis to get better and show them they noticed its recent progress and still noticing them they still work less hard than the men and have to keep progressing in terms of level at the same time. They tried to make everybody happy, to be balanced. It's not the end of the world if the winner is paid 13 000 euros more.
I don't really know what to think about that. But there is much more to this polemic than only a will of fairness etc...Some overreact i think... in both camps.
I've always thought there should be two Slams one for the men and one for the women, like they do in every single other sport, this co-ed crap has got to stop, the men's tour is half financing the women.

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
mdhubert said:
Well said Rosie, you're not ugly and you're not a man, but you're clever !
Thank you :hug: And from a personal point of view, I totally agree with uNIVERSE mAN and his "hurry up and fnish..........." ;) Whenever I'm at Wimbledon or Roland Garros I'm always amused by the number of people who use Womens' matches as an excuse to eat, go to the bathroom etc, and then go back to their court with unresevered seating with a grudging look on their faces just willing the WTA match to be over ASAP so they are in prime position for the mens' match afterwards!!!

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
jenanun said:
EXACTLY!!!

its sooooooooooooooo funny that people here are sooooooooo seriously discussing the topics like they are going to win the prize with the ten thousand euro less that they cannot afford to pay the rent anymore!!! haha!
:lol: :yeah:

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
LoveFifteen said:
Well said! :yeah: Some people's lives would probably fall apart because they would have need to go and whine about something else :) :p

Seriously now... considering that the men have to win three sets at Grand Slams, I think the equal prize money is not justified from that perspective. But then again, the women are getting all the time for the rest of the season less prize money than the men despite playing best of three like the men mostly and well.... I could complain about worse things than equalling prize money for one gender which only takes a few thousand Euros anyway.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts