Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
11,288 Posts

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
:eek: Is Taylor actually gonna play?!!?!?!

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Rusedski Out.

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=12236
Philippoussis and Querrey get Newport wildcards

The International Tennis Hall of Fame announced today that Mark Philippoussis has been granted a wild card entry into the 2006 Campbell’s Hall of Fame Tennis Championships singles tournament. The Campbell’s Hall of Fame Tennis Championships is scheduled for July 10-16, and is the only ATP event in North America played on grass.

Mark Philippoussis has captured 10 career singles titles since turning pro in 1994. In 2003 he finished the year as the No. 9 ranked player in the world. He was the runner-up at the 1998 US Open (to Patrick Rafter) and at Wimbledon in 2003 (to Roger Federer) and has also been a Wimbledon quarterfinalist three times (1998, 1999, 2000).

Rebounding from injury, Philippoussis is moving back up the 2006 ATP INDESIT Rankings, currently at the No. 210 spot after reaching the third round at Queen’s, the tune-up to Wimbledon. At Wimbledon, Philippoussis received a wild card and reached the second round, bowing to Max Mirnyi 76(6) 64 67(5) 63.

The right-handed Philippoussis is known for his serve and volley prowess and his success on grass. He has been active member of the Australian Davis Cup team, competing in 12 ties with a 13-9 career singles record. He was also a member of the winning Australian Davis Cup teams in 1999 and 2003.

This will mark Philippoussis’ second appearance in Newport, having played in the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships in 1995.

Also receiving a wild card entry into the singles draw is young American Sam Querrey. The 18-year-old, who turned pro this year, has been playing the ATP Challenger circuit this year, reaching the quarterfinal in Dallas and winning the Challenger in Yuba City. Querrey was also a practice partner for the U.S. Davis Cup team in the 2005 World Group Playoff against Belgium.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,972 Posts
Great that Sam Querrey got that wildcard, bit of a howler to see Philippoussis get one, and Kendrick rejected :rolleyes:

I would say my favourite for this tourney would probably be Karlovic, or possibly Fish to win.

Good Fortune:
Robby Ginepri
Ivo Karlovic
Paul Goldstein
Taylor Dent
Gilles Muller
Jurgen Melzer
Vincent Spadea
Wesley Moodie
Justin Gimelstob
Mardy Fish
Kenneth Carlsen
Bobby Reynolds
Kevin Kim
Llodra, Michael Llodra
Alex Bogdanovic
Rik De Voest
Kristian Pless
Ricardo Mello
George Bastl
Santiago Gonzalez
Ilia Bozoljac
Gilles Elseneer

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
SAM!!! Excellent choice, he should have a nice game for grass. no comment re: flip. I would be shocked out of my mind if Marcos ends up using his WC, but the stupid freaking rules prevent him from pulling out, right? :rolleyes: Brilliant.

Go Mardy:D

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Oh geez, not another wildcard for Flip. Go play some challengers. He gets more wildcards in the US than American players (except for Donald Young).

·
Registered
11,288 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
will marcos definalty go? he may decided not to after his stella wimby run.
what happens if he pulls out? i guess he would get fined, but would it mean a fresh wc or just 1 down on the alt list?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
MurrayFan1 said:
Finally...a tournament that Greg can do well in. And I agree about the weak field. I wonder which Muray will turn up.
sorry to dissapoint but greg has already pulled out. last year murray also really complaiend about the courts here, which many thought was a bit rich as he was a WC entrant.

·
Registered
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Newport: (Both SE spots cleared)
OUT: Moodie (and Faurel from ALT)
IN: Alves, Saulnier, Bogdanovic
NEXT: De Voest, Behrend, Pless, R.Mello, Bastl, Dupuis, Navarro Pastor, Burgsmuller

21 - 40 of 72 Posts