Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Éowyn said:
debs you know i would be more than happy to give a wild card to james :) it just gets stupid that every other country seems to have the sense to realise this is how you give your juniors a chance except for us who seem to think he we have some juniors and we can have someones else juniors lets give it to the other countries juniors and anyone else random!

i appreciate why mark has one but at the same time chances are he's going to pull out injured in the first round anyway which is a waste and if it's at the expense of our guys :rolleyes:
Give Mark's WC to Alan Mackin...at least he gets 5 entry points which is about what he earns on his 4-week satellite trips to Nigeria. :lol:

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
jez leave ian alone :sad: poor boy!

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
jez said:
Geez I thought you might see through it! :haha:
You should know me well enough by now! ;)

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Éowyn said:
we'll have to wait and see i guess! my qualifying day is loking like fun is there anyone actually left in the qualifiers lmao
:haha: Dead right man...the players are dropping like flies. At this rate Flanners won't need a WC... :haha: :haha:

I'm going to predict the 2 WCs as Delgado and Marray. They do stand out as the most deserving...

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
but the crowd no ian so they might give it to him on last years performance alone it wouldn't be the first time!

so long as SOMEONE still turns up to play the qualies or everyone decides to practice on saturday that'd be good!

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Éowyn said:
jez leave ian alone :sad: poor boy!
:haha: Sorry man.

I hate to say this but his run was an absolute fluke, incredible as it was. He played well that week and fully deserved his wins but since then he hasn't been able to beat guys ranked in the 1000s. He has had injury problems yes, but I saw him at a Notts satellite event and he looked moody, unmotivated...crap. He just wasn't the same guy. The standard at the top has become even better in 12 months...he couldn't live with Grosjean at his best...now he couldn't live with the worst grass player in the Queen's acceptance list. Sorry, but he has made a lot of pathetic excuses over the last 12 months...the bottom line is that he can talk for England but not play for England and I will lose all my remaining respect for the LTA if they grant him a WC. I can assure you, they won't.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
jez said:
:haha: Sorry man.

I hate to say this but his run was an absolute fluke, incredible as it was. He played well that week and fully deserved his wins but since then he hasn't been able to beat guys ranked in the 1000s. He has had injury problems yes, but I saw him at a Notts satellite event and he looked moody, unmotivated...crap. He just wasn't the same guy. The standard at the top has become even better in 12 months...he couldn't live with Grosjean at his best...now he couldn't live with the worst grass player in the Queen's acceptance list. Sorry, but he has made a lot of pathetic excuses over the last 12 months...the bottom line is that he can talk for England but not play for England and I will lose all my remaining respect for the LTA if they grant him a WC. I can assure you, they won't.
it is a shame he's lost his confidence i thin he could do with queens to get his confidence back his injuries certainly haven't helped i know he's friends with andy and spent alot of time with him last year i'm hoping maybe he'll do the same this year

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Éowyn said:
but the crowd no ian so they might give it to him on last years performance alone it wouldn't be the first time!

so long as SOMEONE still turns up to play the qualies or everyone decides to practice on saturday that'd be good!
1. Hmmm, after a year in the shadows would they recognise him now? Don't think so. If I weren't such a fan of tennis and the Brits, I wouldn't know who half of them are. Yes, WC are given based on last year's performance BUT they are also given on the basis of progress over the last 12 months. Ian has gained something like 5 Entry points in that time. That would put him down at British #40 or something. His ranking is incredibly overinflated...he will drop to about #900. The LTA will weigh up trying to help him defend those points against giving a WC to someone who has a chance of winning a round at Queen's AND winning points throughout the rest of the year...Ian cannot hope to win in that situation.

2. Just ask Andy from these forums to turn up for qualies...he is apparently a good player and you would get to meet him! :lol: Besides, I'm sure Tim will be strutting around the courts and Greg will be practising harder than ever after his dismal efforts this week.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
btw! not a man!

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
jez said:
1. Hmmm, after a year in the shadows would they recognise him now? Don't think so. If I weren't such a fan of tennis and the Brits, I wouldn't know who half of them are. Yes, WC are given based on last year's performance BUT they are also given on the basis of progress over the last 12 months. Ian has gained something like 5 Entry points in that time. That would put him down at British #40 or something. His ranking is incredibly overinflated...he will drop to about #900. The LTA will weigh up trying to help him defend those points against giving a WC to someone who has a chance of winning a round at Queen's AND winning points throughout the rest of the year...Ian cannot hope to win in that situation.

2. Just ask Andy from these forums to turn up for qualies...he is apparently a good player and you would get to meet him! :lol: Besides, I'm sure Tim will be strutting around the courts and Greg will be practising harder than ever after his dismal efforts this week.
hehehe! i'm hoping to get some people practicing, i'm working the rest of the tournament so qualies are the only time i'm gonna get to watch any tennis along with breaks hehe

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
lol it's ok you going to queens?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
lol i might be coming up to nottingham for the monday and tuesday! not sure yet depends on money!

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
anyways i've got to go to bed hopefully i'll get on in a net cafe sometime next week! if not see ya all in a week!

·
Banned
8,651 Posts
Queens (Two SE spots CLEARED)
OUT: Fish, Calleri, Spadea (and Saretta from ALT)
IN: Draper, Sluiter, Vliegen, Bjorkman, Behrend
NEXT: Phau, Monfils, Enqvist, Minar, Morrison, Dupuis, Ulihrach, Gimelstob

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
Updated list, Koubek and Schalken out.... Phau and Monfils in directly. Since Gael is into the MD before the withdraw deadline, maybe someone else can get the WC last minute. Puerta is still on the list but I'll be shocked if he plays. But he can't pull out til he loses (or wins lol) in Paris.

Queens (Two SE spots CLEARED)
OUT: Calleri, Fish, Koubec, Schalken, Spadea (and Saretta from ALT)
IN: Draper, Sluiter, Vliegen, Bjorkman, Behrend, Phau, Monfils
NEXT: Enqvist, Minar, Morrison, Dupuis, Ulihrach, Gimelstob, Simon, Carraz

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
6/3/05 update

(Two SE spots CLEARED)
OUT: Calleri, Fish, Koubec, Schalken, Spadea (and Enqvist, Saretta from ALT)
IN: Draper, Sluiter, Vliegen, Bjorkman, Behrend, Phau, Monfils
NEXT: Minar, Morrison, Dupuis, Ulihrach, Gimelstob, Simon, Carraz, G.Lapentti

61 - 80 of 94 Posts