Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Re: Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated 8/21/07)

Andy :mad: Stop entering them if you have no intention of playing there. That's just cheesy.
better than not entering and asking for a wildcard that was supposed to go to someone who really needs it in the last minute.

·
Registered
767 Posts

·
Ace Loveforty
83,349 Posts

Why do you say that? He'll be there.

(it was his last Slam, not his last tournament. he said repeatedly that he was finishing out the season :) ).
ah thanks, thought he ended singles career with US Open

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

better than not entering and asking for a wildcard that was supposed to go to someone who really needs it in the last minute.
You mean like other players do? Because I can only think of one time Andy even asked to do that, and it was too late so he just stayed home that week when it didn't work out.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

You mean like other players do? Because I can only think of one time Andy even asked to do that, and it was too late so he just stayed home that week when it didn't work out.
I mean that I prefer what Andy does. Wildcards are supposed to be a chance for players with a low ranking to enter ATP tournaments. Young players or players who fell in the ranking because of injury. If top players who could have entered in time with their ranking ask for wildcards just a few days before the tournament starts they take the wildcard from a player who needs it more just because they were too late to enter on a normal way. Andy enters the tournaments and withdraws from those he doesn`t want to play which gives the lower ranked players the chance to get the wildcard.
For example: The tournament in Mumbai gave 2 of their 3 wildcards to young Indian players the way it should be. But they kept the 3rd wildcard until now hoping that a top player might ask for it. This leaves players like Nicolas Kiefer (his ranking is too low to qualify because he was injured for 1 year) waiting in Beijing after the tournament ended there because he doesn`t know where to go play next since he needs a wildcard to take part in a tournament until his ranking is good enough again.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts

take it Michail Youzhny :worship: :wavey:

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Re: Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated 9/21/07)

OUT Roddick, Safin, Acasuso, Hartfield, Zabaleta, Srichaphan (& Cilic, Mantilla, Bogdanovic, Ventura from ALT)
IN Vanek, Pashanski, Sela, Capdeville, Moodie, Kubot

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

I mean that I prefer what Andy does. Wildcards are supposed to be a chance for players with a low ranking to enter ATP tournaments. Young players or players who fell in the ranking because of injury. If top players who could have entered in time with their ranking ask for wildcards just a few days before the tournament starts they take the wildcard from a player who needs it more just because they were too late to enter on a normal way. Andy enters the tournaments and withdraws from those he doesn`t want to play which gives the lower ranked players the chance to get the wildcard.
For example: The tournament in Mumbai gave 2 of their 3 wildcards to young Indian players the way it should be. But they kept the 3rd wildcard until now hoping that a top player might ask for it. This leaves players like Nicolas Kiefer (his ranking is too low to qualify because he was injured for 1 year) waiting in Beijing after the tournament ended there because he doesn`t know where to go play next since he needs a wildcard to take part in a tournament until his ranking is good enough again.

Yes, I agree. But what is happening with Kiefer's protected ranking? Has he used it up already, or is he saving it for other tournaments?

·
Registered
7,424 Posts

Sucks. I would like to see another Federer/Roddick meeting. :angel:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

Yes, I agree. But what is happening with Kiefer's protected ranking? Has he used it up already, or is he saving it for other tournaments?
you can use it only 8 times. So he needs it for the Masters Tournaments and Grand Slams. But he got that wildcard for Mumbai and he could enter the quali draw for Tokio. So hopefully the wildcard problem will be over for him. But his name was just an example. There are a lot of others who have the same problem.

·
Banned
1,029 Posts

Japan tennis association announced that the rest of WCs go to Takao Suzuki & Go Soeda.
all japanese wild cards....:zzz:

·
Banned
1,029 Posts

According to the official Tommy haas has decided to come to Tokyo.

Why :zzz:??? They're right, supporting Japanese players.
I know I should. But to be honest, there's tons of players I prefer to see than Japanese.:p
you have quite a few chances to see national players here but this is only chance to see class players in japan.

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts

Pretty sure Blake will be out of this tourney - since he said at Davis Cup that his next event was Stockholm and that he was going home for a couple weeks before going back to Sweden..... WHY do these guys enter if they have no intention to play, it is so frustrating.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts

Well if Haas is playing he does need a WC and that would mean one less Japanese WC.

Although this week Nadal was in some mysterious way replaced with Moya in Thailand without Moya actually having signed up for the tournament.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts

Isn't Gimelstob retired?

·
Registered
770 Posts

Well, according to the man himself, David 'Pics' Ferrer will be playing in Tokyo now.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts