Mens Tennis Forums banner
881 - 900 of 1054 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Of course they count. They're part of the career. They have weight, just not a lot of it. Comparing only the biggest tournaments is lazy, fit for people who haven't got all the available information.
nah, in current times 250s and 500s are only for beancounters... or vultures, prep tuournamens at best.

its not the event size itself which gives them value, but the attending competition!

so a win of fed or nole in dubai (500), when both attend has surely bigger value than aslan vs. harris.

and its rare nowadays that a lot of top players attend the same small events.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hypothetical: If the Big 3 retire tomorrow and Tsitsipas wins the next 21 slams, will he be the GOAT?
If it's next 21, then he would be for sure. Since he will be all around player that has many other achievements as well (like 5+ years at No1 at least, win every slam at least 5 times and many more). It's extremely hard to win one slam, almost impossible to win 4 in a row. No matter of competition. You can play vs tourists and get an injury. And Medvedev, Zverev, Thiem, Shapovalov, Hurkacz, Rublev, Berrettini, Sinner, Khacanov are not tourists. :)

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
..he won all his slams during the period spanning peak Federer, peak Murray and peak Djokovic. Obviously they were not all peak at same time but thats the point, Rafa never had a period where he won a Major without an ATG playing well.
Federer won most of his slams before Djokovic peaked (16) and Djokovic won most of his after Federer peaked (19).
There are other reasons why Nadal has a strong case for GOAT if it ends 20-20-20 but the above is really important to note.
As for 2nd place i have to give it Federer due to one match, FO2011. Federer at 29/30 past his best on his worse surface beating a guy at his very best on an unbeaten run was just beyond epic.
There are numerous arguments for Federer to be GOAT, i give it Nadal due to W2008 but they are almost neck and neck and that is why they STILL are getting 90% of media coverage.

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
..he won all his slams during the period spanning peak Federer, peak Murray and peak Djokovic. Obviously they were not all peak at same time but thats the point, Rafa never had a period where he won a Major without an ATG playing well.
Federer won most of his slams before Djokovic peaked (16) and Djokovic won most of his after Federer peaked (19).
There are other reasons why Nadal has a strong case for GOAT if it ends 20-20-20 but the above is really important to note.
As for 2nd place i have to give it Federer due to one match, FO2011. Federer at 29/30 past his best on his worse surface beating a guy at his very best on an unbeaten run was just beyond epic.
There are numerous arguments for Federer to be GOAT, i give it Nadal due to W2008 but they are almost neck and neck and that is why they STILL are getting 90% of media coverage.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Soooo... Nadal won his slams while both Federer, Murray and Djokovic were all at their peaks? Djokovic was at his peak since 2011 and Murray also in similar period. Until 2011 Nadal won 9 slams, in other words almost half of all his slams.

Also, isn't same logic valid for Djokovic? In his case only Fed started mildly to decline, but basically all others (plus Wawrinka) were at their absolute highs

Good try, though

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
No matter how many threads you make, Nadal will never be GOAT.
I think the goal of the OP is to spam general messages until something drastic happens; that all MTF members, in particular fans of Djokovic, get an absent look in their faces, and with a single voice start to chant:

"There is no GOAT but Nadal, and Dataworf is his prophet..."

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
"There is no GOAT but Nadal, and Dataworf is his prophet..."
It cannot be denied. Recently in the mountains I met HIM. I agree with the OP that it wasn't Djokovic (who was still beating mugs at Wimby). That leaves us with Fedal in the debate. Looking at these innocent eyes it must be Rafa (Federer's evil eyes are hidden deeply in his eye sockets). Out of respect for this great champion we all should use capital letters (like his fans already do) so:

RAFA = GOAT

Case closed

Reactions: Henrik

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I'm beginning to think OP was helping Oliver Stone write and film "JFK", because it's such a distortion of facts and travesty of truth, that it's borderline psychotic and obviously prone to conspiracies, exposing issues with information processing and acceptance of hard to swallow pills.

·
Premium Member
21,967 Posts
Actually he won majority of his slams on clay where the best players he faced were usually either Fed or Novak who aren't even clay courters and clay is by far their worst surface. On the contrary, Fed and Novak had to win the majority of their slams on HC where the competition is by far the toughest. So if you want to go opponent difficulty-wise, his case is the weakest

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
After 10/10 General->Ruins threads, I think you need a break from MTF. Forced or voluntary.

Reactions: n00b and ivanban

·
Registered
264 Posts
Actually he won majority of his slams on clay where the best players he faced were usually either Fed or Novak who aren't even clay courters and clay is by far their worst surface. On the contrary, Fed and Novak had to win the majority of their slams on HC where the competition is by far the toughest. So if you want to go opponent difficulty-wise, his case is the weakest
This!

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
.... because if Rafa doesn't have an edge, androidklingon has to cry himself to sleep every night after the RG'21 SF.

881 - 900 of 1054 Posts