Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Administrator
11,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to the Endless GOAT Debate Megathread. In an attempt to organize the never-ending and popular GOAT discussions on the forum, the MTF staff and a slight majority of the users who participated in the recent GM poll (as of 11/1/2020) agreed that this thread can and will be used for:
  • All basic GOAT Debate conversation. This means users can no longer open threads such as "Player X is the GOAT", "Who is the GOAT?" anymore.
  • A dumpster where unique GOAT discussions that have veered off-topic into our typical GOAT debate can be placed.**
    • Unique GOAT discussions that can initially be in a separate thread in GM if they are stat-based, hypothetical, or achievement related.
**The moderators will do their best to evaluate when unique GOAT discussions have reached the point where it's just a typical GOAT debate. At that point, entire threads or just the handful of off-topic posts will be merged with this megathread. Please be aware that the moderators first course of action, if possible, will always be to move off-topic posts from these threads in an attempt to keep unique topics separate from this Endless Debate Thread. Also, typical ongoing typical GOAT debate threads will soon be locked and redirected to this thread.

The GM Rules will soon be updated with these additional rules. Users who violate these rules will be subject to discipline according to the MTF Site Rules and Guidelines.

If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback feel free to contact any of the staff members.

Now go ahead and debate folks...here's some of other past threads to reminisce about.
Endless Era Debates
GOAT Discussions Vol. 2

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
Wait the poll was actually in favor of this?

I figured this would be one of those things that no one would vote for anyway so I didn't bother to vote against..

goddamit now we will have a clusterfuck even though the topic/question will be different each time.

Nobody actually just wants to speak freely about GOAT players and drivel off on them..

its always a topic or stat in question.

·
Premium Member
11,308 Posts
Thanks at @BMT360

This will help keep things more clean.

·
Registered
450 Posts
goddamit now we will have a clusterfuck even though the topic/question will be different each time.
I use special filtering rules in Chrome via extension to hide certain posts containing certain keywords, this one is just being added to the set. This way I do not have to block/ignore a member (because I don't have a reason), but do block certain topics from my eyes. Granted, knowledge for that goes beyond ordinary forum members. Given the fact this was started by Administrator, you can't simply ignore him :)

Also, I voted against it, and I was convinced it won't pass, because the poll results were so close (deciding factor was 3rd option). But, I guess it was enough.

One benefit will be much less GOAT topics that were popping out every other day lately, and that was much more annoying than this, for sure.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

I figured this would be one of those things that no one would vote for anyway so I didn't bother to vote against..

Nobody actually just wants to speak freely about GOAT players and drivel off on them..

You can still vote.

·
Administrator
11,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I totally understand where you are coming from, but you might be missing the point of this thread. We don't want to use this thread as the only place to have any GOAT discussion. In fact, that is exactly what we don't want. If the GOAT debate is unique, we want it to have it's own thread. But if the unique thread turns into the typical GOAT debate topic ("Player X is the GOAT bc...), we don't need to have that conversation in various different places. Just like any other topic, we only allow one thread for it.

The mods will be open to making adjustments as I think it's fair to say this is a trial period. We will enforce this thread for now as the place for general GOAT discussion and a dumpster for GOAT threads that veer off topic. Because of this, GOAT discussion in match result threads will also not be tolerated unless two of the big three face each other.

If others have any ideas or actual feedback we want to hear it. You are still encouraged to voice your opinion and vote, but regardless of the result at this point, the mods feel this strategy is worth a try for now.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This sentence/scenario is almost an impossibility and almost illogical.

If Rafa exceeds 18 slams, meaning he will win 5 more slams. And if Rafa wins 5 more slams, when do you think Djokovic will start collecting 7 more slams?

So, in your opinion, both of them would win a total of 12 slams = 3 years.

So, no one else will win a slam title until 2021/
Well, that was almost accurate. It's looking very likely right now that both Nadal and Djokovic will surpass Federer's slam count.

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
"Rafa is GOAT clay-courter but Fed GOAT grass-courter so those cancel each other out" was my favorite line

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
"Rafa is GOAT clay-courter but Fed GOAT grass-courter so those cancel each other out" was my favorite line
What about the line where the OP said that whether Nadal and Djokovic will be capable of competing against the young players, and mentions Goffin.
Though it's understandable in all seriousness, Goffin showed some promise back then, especially in 2017.

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
What about the line where the OP said that whether Nadal and Djokovic will be capable of competing against the young players, and mentions Goffin.
Though it's understandable in all seriousness, Goffin showed some promise back then, especially in 2017.
He just got roasted by Dimitrov at the AO, so yeah, that was also a gem.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Man, a quick look at a thread like this is a nice reminder of just how arrogant MTF Fedtards used to be. Those that remain on the forum are actually some of its best posters so you might never know how toxic the fan base once was.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Man, a quick look at a thread like this is a nice reminder of just how arrogant MTF Fedtards used to be. Those that remain on the forum are actually some of its best posters so you might never know how toxic the fan base once was.
This isn't even the worst of Fedtards, either. Look at 2006-2008 posts, now that was prime Fedtardism.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
This isn't even the worst of Fedtards, either. Look at 2006-2008 posts, now that was prime Fedtardism.
True, I wasn’t around that far back but the forum was something else completely during my first few years. Lots of unhinged Fedtards who ended up getting banned. Doping allegations especially were incessant.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts