Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is that the end of the Big 4?

• Yes, it's over. Completely finished. Tennis is dead.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Not a chance, Rafa will be back in no time!

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • There will be a new top four formed (who?)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Top 2 now until Djoko and Clayray retire

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Something completely different?

Votes: 3 14.3%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Nadal drops to no.7 in the world. When Murray dropped out of the top 4 several on here said he wouldn't get back! (I'm sure a few were only hoping it would be the case!) Now Rafa has dropped out, is that the end? Does it lead to a new Era? Discuss!

·
Banned
923 Posts
There is only a Big 1, and that's Roger Federer

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Fedal era is probably officially dead and buried in 2015.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think he'll be back, after all, he was injured last year after RG for a while. All hinges on Rafa getting to at least the final at RG though I reckon. If he doesn't get that far, he could be finished. If Murray keeps playing like he did today well who knows!

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
Federer will end the year at 4. Nadal at 6-8.

·
Administrator
6,251 Posts
It doesn't really make a big difference since Federer and Murray have both dropped out of the top 4 and came back in. It is interesting though that with Nadal now having dropped out (even if temporarily) that is 3 of the 4 having lost their spot in the top 5 at some point since they first time all 4 were top 4. Only Djokovic is yet to drop at some point, wonder how long it will be until he does.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
It doesn't really make a big difference since Federer and Murray have both dropped out of the top 4 and came back in. It is interesting though that with Nadal now having dropped out (even if temporarily) that is 3 of the 4 having lost their spot in the top 5 at some point since they first time all 4 were top 4. Only Djokovic is yet to drop at some point, wonder how long it will be until he does.
Not until 35 or later, he'll break almost all Fedal records along the way.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Also, Berdych joins top 4 tomorrow! :clap2:

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
If he was in the top 5 while being injured for half a year or more, he can still end the year ranked 4th of 5th. He hasn't declined that much.

The only relevant question is can he win Slams this year?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,989 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
So, Nadal drops to no.7 in the world. When Murray dropped out of the top 4 several on here said he wouldn't get back! (I'm sure a few were only hoping it would be the case!) Now Rafa has dropped out, is that the end? Does it lead to a new Era? Discuss!
We've alreayd ahd Roger and Andy drop out for periods. I don't think that this is the end of the Big 4 era, they are still the guys who are more consistent in big ways than the rest when all things are equal.

I do thinkw e are seeing an evolution of the big 4, the early stages Roger and Rafa were dominate and Novac in a big way and then Andy gate crashed, then we had the middle period where they all completely dominated the tour with Andy eventually getting his majors. We are now getting to the later period where federer and Nadal are on the decline and Novac and Andy are the favourites for most of the big titles.

The fact is when the big 4 are in their pomp they still own the rest of the tour.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
It would make more sense to say this if two members didn't just contest a final. Rafa just needs to take another half-year sabbatical.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Remember Roger's ranking dropping? Rafa's "super secret" racquet will propel him to 10 more French Opens. You heard it here first

·
Registered
7,234 Posts

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
So Federer drops a year, comes back the next;
Murray drops a year, comes back the next;
Nadal drops a year, comes back the next;

Next should be Djokovic?

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
So Feder drops a year, comes back the next;
Murray drops a year, comes back the next;
Nadal drops a year, comes back the next;

Next should be Djokovic?
What about Dimitrov? And he is the 0 in Big 4.0

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
It would make more sense to say this if two members didn't just contest a final. Rafa just needs to take another half-year sabbatical.
Make that a half-century and I'm with you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts