Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Emil Ruusuvuori comfortably defeated a hugely hyped and surely very talented Jannik Sinner 6-3, 6-4 in the Canberra CH today and thus proved that he is a similar prospect than what Sinner is. There is no doubt that both players are TOP10 material and will offer us a great tennis in the future.
Vamos Emil!

·
justice for all
16,245 Posts
Interesting result. Sinner was hyped like crazy here by the end of the last year cause he had first good results on ATP level. Will be interesting to see how MTF reacts when he falls in some kind of a minor slump which to my mind is inevitable sooner or later.

As for Emil - haven't seen much of him yet. Must do it asap.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I would like for Ruusuvuori to make a breakthrough on the ATP circuit and the win against Sinner was a great start of the season for him. However, comparing his potential for future greatness to that of Sinner is not justified. Sure, beating the Italian youngster was great, but their ages are not exactly close. Currently, Ruusuvuori is not ranked in top 100. Sinner, 2 years and four months younger than Emil, is ranked 78. The bottom line: Emil needs a few more big wins before I consider him promising enough to be top ten material. But who knows, the development curves of players vary, and I agree that Emil has a chance to make it big.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Yeah was cheering for Ruusuvuori here and happy to see him get the win but you have to admit he had massive age advantage on his side.

Ruusuvuori is scheduled to play one indoor challenger event next month but other than that he is looking to play ATP events. Hopefully we gonna see whats going on :cool: Cant wait for AO qualifiers.

·
9,619 Posts
Really really really really really really Really really really really really really poor from Sinner

Aware opponent is looking great though

·
Registered
29,419 Posts
Reactions: DieGOAT

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Good stuff and his first win ever (outside DC) over a player who has won ATP title I believe.

Plays Koepfer next. He reached USO R4 (thanks to a kind draw) last year but couldn't keep it up after that. Ruusuvuori is the better player and I expect him to do his thing. Munar/Kudla after that. Sounds good. :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Losing to Kohli in the Canberra final wasn't ideal ending for the week, but can't complain anyway.

However, Emil is now at 12th position in the ATP Race. Not bad at all...and on the top of the ATP Race under 21-years old players:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Until now Ruusuvuori was the highest ranked player who never played an ATP match before. It will change now, as he advanced to the 1st round of Montpellier, beating Mahut in 3rd set tiebreak. Emil will make his ATP debut tomorrow (next in line in Juan Pablo Varillas)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I saw his match v Sinner. He looked to be absolutely spanking the ball. Very nice. He will surely be a solid player on the main tour soon. Kind of cool to see a Finn on the tour again.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Is there gonna be a stream from the Ruusuvuori vs Novak match? Its on court 1 in Montpellier. Anyway, Emil is favourite with around 1.60 odds. Should he win he will play Norbert Gombos in R2. Quite a kind draw for his first ATP 250. I know Im getting ahead of myself but a quarter final against Monfils looks quite likely, would be epic

1 - 20 of 26 Posts