Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think any other musician has had such a difference between their weak era and strong era.

Elton was a genius from 1970-1976. After that his material was quite mixed for many years. But since the 90's it has been pretty awful.

The "Elton John" album from '70 is pretty much one of the best albums ever made. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" was also brilliant.

His live shows were very good, but his throat operation in 1987 was a killer. Nowadays he's just an old queen performing in Vegas with a very bad voice. Well, that's the way it goes.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,337 Posts
Nothing lasts forever :shrug: It's very rare a sight to see a singer/band from the 1970s-80s do well in the modern era (let alone last that long to begin with - I'm sure you are old enough to have witnessed some of this). We just have to appreciate what they give us in their golden years.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
Neil Young may have had a good comeback in the 90s but like Elton the comparison between his strong era (1969-1979) and weak era (80s untill Freedom) is insane, from GOAT to bloat.

Mind you, I still like Trans :)

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Prince, or the artist who used to change his name on a regular basis, way before Snoopp whatever his name is atm, is not too far away from this as well.

What about Madonna? She turned the world upside down at the time. Now her attempts to modern music are kinda sad..

Metallica handled change in the best way imo. George Michael did great as well.

Most others who tried coping with time, generally failed.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Neil Young may have had a good comeback in the 90s but like Elton the comparison between his strong era (1969-1979) and weak era (80s untill Freedom) is insane, from GOAT to bloat.

Mind you, I still like Trans :)
Inb4 Sofonda loving you back :devil:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Metallica handled change in the best way imo. George Michael did great as well.

Most others who tried coping with time, generally failed.
By the way George has really been fucked up the last few years. Many health issues and personal problems. He's apparently now at some rehab clinic in Zurich and looks quite bloated.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
One of the examples is also Tupac. He died like a strong era hero, but he was violently forced to hologram himself to perform next to a weak era earplugbot mug like Dr. Dre.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
By the way George has really been fucked up the last few years. Many health issues and personal problems. He's apparently now at some rehab clinic in Zurich and looks quite bloated.
yeah, i read that recently, it's in a way a pity, as i thought he was going great, looked that way few years ago. On another hand, it's good he's taking care of himself, having such problems.

Always been a big fan of the guy, except for Jesus to a child, which is related to unpleasant memories, there's hardly any song i dislike of him.

His VH1 unplugged should be in UNESCO's list of World treasures.

I hope he recovers soon.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
One of the examples is also Tupac. He died like a strong era hero, but he was violently forced to hologram himself to perform next to a weak era earplugbot mug like Dr. Dre.
Dre is a legend, he's just the usual for painters step away from being a classical music saint.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Why isn't Paul McCartney making great music?

Isn't he meant to be a musical legend?

ever since lennon died I've not heard anything decent from paul,just goes to show lennon was the true genius behind the beatles.

you could also make a case for Michael jackson but he was still making number 1 songs/albums in the 90s

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Always been a big fan of the guy, except for Jesus to a child, which is related to unpleasant memories, there's hardly any song i dislike of him.

His VH1 unplugged should be in UNESCO's list of World treasures.

I hope he recovers soon.
GM was at his very peak during the Faith era. He was in many ways the perfect pop star. No wonder Sony got so upset when he didn't want to do any music videos, press or even photos when the Listen Without Prejudice album came out. It's a great album but obviously not something the label expected.

Then again his desire for perfection is almost crazy. He has released only two original albums since 1990. That's just not enough.

you could also make a case for Michael jackson but he was still making number 1 songs/albums in the 90s
Macca wasn't that bad in the 70's and 80's.

MJ is a good example. He was so powerful during the 80's. Dangerous still had some good bits in it, but after that his material was very weak. And in the end it wasn't even very successful.

As with many others you could see the difference in Jackson's live stuff. The 87-88 Bad tour was simply brilliant. His voice and energy were top notch. In the 90's he already used quite a bit of backing tape and even some parts of his concerts were lip synched. The '97 tour was pretty useless.

Those last rehearsals just before he died looked and sounded quite awful.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts

Isn't he meant to be a musical legend?

ever since lennon died I've not heard anything decent from paul,just goes to show lennon was the true genius behind the beatles.

Hope of deliverance was decent, not legendary status tho, far from it.

Sir Paul could make the music World explode if he wants to, but he prefers to lay back and spend on divorces.

John and Yoko proved very clearly that the magic happened only when the 4 dudes where together and wouldn't work aside.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
The Rolling Stones post mid 70's did some awful stuff, Genesis in the late 80's and 90's were very poor, Metallica after "Black Album", Yes in the 80's, ELP after "Works II", the Bee Gees, etc. I can think of many artists that did some truly shit albums.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Reload, St. Anger, Death Magnetic and LuLu are mediocre or awful. I do kinda like Load though, that many people find mediocre also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts