Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently match duration is the only available time stat. However, it would be great to know how much time do players actually play tennis during matches i.e. total time of rallies (from the moment a player throws a ball in the air to the end of a rally). In fact, comparing only duration of matches can be misleading when assessing physical effort by players. Imagine two matches:
1) A match on clay lasting 4 hours
2) A mach on grass lasting 3 hours
Let's assume that both matches had 270 points and 50 games (realistic scenario for matches of such duration). Let's also assume that in both matches average time between points was 20 seconds and there were 24 breaks between games/sets (each lasting 2 minutes), which gives us 138 minutes of "no tennis". Now we know that:
1) The clay match had 102 minutes of effective play
2) The grass match had 42 minutes of effective play
Grass match was only 25 percent shorter than clay match but had 2.5 times less effective play. For this reason such stat would be a much more telling indicator of players' efforts. Hopefully it'll appear one day on the ATP Tour.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
There was a thread I started when I was still green on this forum that looked at the distance the big 4 ran during matches based on an analysis article. I don’t know if it’s just during active play (I got the impression that it was). Perhaps this is another way of looking at effort during active play?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,611 Posts
The maths feels wonky because points and games are not equivalent structures. You can have very long multi deuce games which skews the line between actually games player and breaks between service games.

There won't be a perfect indicator but match time and players give a good indication. For instance, facing a big server you expect less rallying effort even for the same duration of match play. Facing Djokovic, Monfils, Ferrer et al. more rally effort for sure even in the same time span. One can also look at how many long deuce games were had.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a thread I started when I was still green on this forum that looked at the distance the big 4 ran during matches based on an analysis article. I don’t know if it’s just during active play (I got the impression that it was). Perhaps this is another way of looking at effort during active play?
You're right, it's a better indicator than match time. But running doesn't constitute 100 percent of players' efforts, there're also shots and shots preparation. Running may be a better physical effort stat but effective play time would tell us how long players were physically and mentally into a match.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Currently match duration is the only available time stat. However, it would be great to know how much time do players actually play tennis during matches i.e. total time of rallies (from the moment a player throws a ball in the air to the end of a rally). In fact, comparing only duration of matches can be misleading when assessing physical effort by players. Imagine two matches:
1) A match on clay lasting 4 hours
2) A mach on grass lasting 3 hours
Let's assume that both matches had 270 points and 50 games (realistic scenario for matches of such duration). Let's also assume that in both matches average time between points was 20 seconds and there were 24 breaks between games/sets (each lasting 2 minutes), which gives us 138 minutes of "no tennis". Now we know that:
1) The clay match had 102 minutes of effective play
2) The grass match had 42 minutes of effective play
Grass match was only 25 percent shorter than clay match but had 2.5 times less effective play. For this reason such stat would be a much more telling indicator of players' efforts. Hopefully it'll appear one day on the ATP Tour.
The length of a tennis court is 23.77m, normal rally speed is 100km/h, so one shot is about 0.86 sec.

Suppose one rally has average 10 shots, that is 8.6 sec per point for active play time.

The rest is trivial.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I think I once watched a video of the famous Djokovic vs Nadal AO 2012 final where only the effective play of every point was extracted. I tried to find it, but i couldn't.

·
Registered
12,632 Posts
I think I once watched a video of the famous Djokovic vs Nadal AO 2012 final where only the effective play of every point was extracted. I tried to find it, but i couldn't.
Was it that match or one of the clay matches? Madrid I think that went to 3 or 4 hours. A girl had extracted play which was something less than an hour.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Was it that match or one of the clay matches? Madrid I think that went to 3 or 4 hours. A girl had extracted play which was something less than an hour.
I don't know for sure, but I think it was the AO match, because it was longer. I remember that somebody had posted a link to the video here on this forum, but I don't know in which topic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts