Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edberg talking about Federer. I just heard this on the stream. Do you guys agree? What part of the game has Federer improved?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You're just more experienced. I don't think you can improve your stamina or play at the baseline, but netplay and volleys can always be improved.

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
Serve as well.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, I can definitely see an improved serve. The backhand seems to be working as well, touch at the net not bad either.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
mentality

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Experience and temperament. Knowing there is nothing to lose when u r old.
Staying calm and holding own service games.

Ask santoro, gasquet, stepenak. First round veterans.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Federer's serve improved from Wimbledon 2007 to now

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Serverbot he means.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
At first glance, I thought the title said "olderer". MTF has changed me.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
His FH is nowadays among the worst in top 10.

You cant really get back that bodyrotation above 30.

His netgame has improved though.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Serve, touch and just in overall experience in how to beat different types of players.

For Federer it's a bit different because he has always just been a very smart and naturally gifted player, so even when he loses a step and his FH isn't what it used to be, he can still use his brain to win matches. In contrast to Rafa, who was more reliant on his physicality to win matches and grind others down, since he has lost a step it's been a lot harder for him.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Serve, touch and just in overall experience in how to beat different types of players.

For Federer it's a bit different because he has always just been a very smart and naturally gifted player, so even when he loses a step and his FH isn't what it used to be, he can still use his brain to win matches. In contrast to Rafa, who was more reliant on his physicality to win matches and grind others down, since he has lost a step it's been a lot harder for him.
The expierence is what people leave out the most. I believe everything that involves technique can be improved till late 30s.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts

THIS! Game style, fitness and mentality are what enables some players to win slams in their mid-late thirties.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts