Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an exclusive interview Stefan Edberg talks with Eurosport about his cooperation with Roger Federer, the Swiss' potential and the importance of the French Open.

You can read the English translation here --> http://bit.ly/1sYVZYr

·
Banned
558 Posts
Federer looks as good as ever. Difference is he now has two all time greats in their primes to contend with. Rafa and Djokovic are all time greats.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It's easy to forget how different Fed's movement and aggressive forehand were years ago. Take a look at the Fed-Safin 2005 AO match to get a reminder. Of course he's still a top player and I think he has chances to win another slam, but he is not the same player.

Much like Sampras toward the end of his career, he now needs to attack more and play shorter points.

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
He works hard if it's convenient for his boring pretentious self. He has limited power now and he needed to hear hype about being GOAT when he depended on whacking the crap out of the weak era moles and physically slow players. The limited talent and "arsenal" of flat pounding forehands and moonball backhands were more beautiful than anything he laid his eyes on. He always picks gentlemen to coach him but in his diva head, he still doesn't need coaching because he is so pretty and was dominating 2003-2006 "Hingis-type" cheerleading clowns.

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Federer looks as good as ever. Difference is he now has two all time greats in their primes to contend with. Rafa and Djokovic are all time greats.
:spit: :superlol:

Yes, clearly the same player

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
The difference in the level of Fed's FH and movement on the right side of the court from his prime is quite hard to miss, please watch some older videos.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Funny, I was just thinking a few hours ago how I could see Fed playing this French Open going balls to the wall with aggression, since he obviously can't hang from the back like he once could.

And seriously, while it is true that Roger is still an amazing player, to say that he's the same player now as he was in 2004, 2005, heck, even 2009-2012 is just insulting.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
It's easy to forget how different Fed's movement and aggressive forehand were years ago. Take a look at the Fed-Safin 2005 AO match to get a reminder. Of course he's still a top player and I think he has chances to win another slam, but he is not the same player.

Much like Sampras toward the end of his career, he now needs to attack more and play shorter points.
Before he contracted mono Federer didn't shank the ball and he was extremely accurate. Since the mono Roger has never been the same player. I have many of the old matches and the video doesn't lie.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Nice interview.
I won't write his chance off to vulture another grand slam.
I know he'll fluke another slam.

This year's Wimbledon is very possible indeed:
Nadal may exit early.
Djokovic is bad at grass tennis.
Mugray has declined.

Usually he peaks when his major opponents are not at their best. This is the secret behind his successful vulture of slams.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
:spit: :superlol:

Yes, clearly the same player

Actually, the main difference between that Federer and today, is his confidence. Look at his eyes, he's like a vicious warrior. He knew he was by far the best and pretty much unbeatable (old Agassi, Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, etc.). But as the years went by, competition got stronger (Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, etc.) and his confidence dropped. His game is still there but his confidence is not the same. You can see it in his eyes.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
IMO this is Federer's most impressive match, at least to me. Just ridiculously pinpoint hitting off both sides. It's easy to forget just how well he could move back then too.
It was a great match but let's not forget he played loads of those. USO 2004 & 2005, Shanghai 06...

Actually, the main difference between that Federer and today, is his confidence. Look at his eyes, he's like a vicious warrior. He knew he was by far the best and pretty much unbeatable (old Agassi, Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, etc.). But as the years went by, competition got stronger (Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, etc.) and his confidence dropped. His game is still there but his confidence is not the same. You can see it in his eyes.
Will you stop with this nonsense. (I'll disregard that you think Murray is better than old Agassi or Safin.) Even when Roger is retired some of you Nadaltards are gonna say "HE'S STILL AS GOOD GAME WISE" to promote your own agenda. Yes Federer had more confidence back then but if you think that's the main difference you are delusional.
Look at the movement. Look at the forehand. His returns were better. Defense too. All around a more explosive and unpredictable player. Shanked less too. I have yet to see another player consistently showing a level of tennis matching Federer's peak (03-06). The closest was Djokovic in 2011 and he could only do it for half a year. Nadal in 08 too but he did it only on clay.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts