Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Right, I basically pointed out that at this point there is a very real chance that the Olympics only being in a year is all that is keeping him in the game right now. He has plenty of money and a growing family now. No one would fault him for retiring, even if we want to see him play more.
I'll have a look for that article :)

I was wondering, if anybody know, with regards to the Olympics. Hypothetically speaking, if Lleyton were to miss the rest of the year through injury (including Davis Cup) and then got his ranking back up in the first half of next year, would he be denied participation in the Olympics due to the rule that you must represent your country this year in DC to partake or would circumstances be taken into account?

Not great news.. http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...hewitt-may-miss-wimbledon-20110615-1g2av.html

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I really hope hes ok for Wimbledon. Kinda hard to watch. :/

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Hewitt's game has always been brutal on his body. His body is fighting back as it were. He has achieved a lot with the little he has at his disposal. Time to call it a day. Haas is another one who needs to call it quits. No need to do permant damage to your body.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Sucks to hear this about Lleyton. :(

Hopefully he will be alright to play Wimbledon next week. :)

·
Your visions will happen
52,309 Posts
Always very sad to see a player you grew up watching nearing the end of his days. It happened already to me with Safin, Ferrero is basically done, now Hewitt, Nalbandian is always injured, Coria is long gone, only Roddick is still playing to a good level from that generation. And Fed of course.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Hewitt should stop before he butchers his singles record.

·
Premium Member
96,462 Posts
Aussie Open 2012 will probably be his last tournament

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Poor Lleyton, he was such a good grass court player. If he was even close to healthy he could give alot of players a lesson at Wimbledon, like he did to JMDP a few years ago. I still can not believe Roddick beat him.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Yeah this is very sad, he clearly has the will to carry on but it's looking more unlikely by the day. When he is fit, he's still playing to a very high level. Hw won the Kooyong Classic earlier this year, beating Youzhny, Davydenko and Monfils, which is very good going for a guy who has played so little tennis. It's remarkable that he's stayed this competitive with so many injuries. It's a testament to his style.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I'm not sure he will ever again lift ATP trophey :sad:

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Normally to a player ranked that low after such highs I'd give the obligatory 'go play some challengers' rant but that's clearly not Lleyton's issue. For a few years now he hasn't been free of injuries. End is near.

If he misses Wimbledon he'll be a touch outside the top200.
That doesn't even matter. He'll get WC's anywhere he wants, except maybe Argentina.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts