Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to say. It was quite depressing seeing Hewitt walk off like that.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Rusty just can't catch a break, just hope it's not too serious and can play his favourite event next week.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Depressing. Hope he's okay for Wimbledon, but obviously fears of retirement grow larger. Body is clearly struggling. Rest up champ.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Did i miss it or he didn`t even shook hands with umpire and opponent.All i`ve seen is that he took his bag and left court

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Did i miss it or he didn`t even shook hands with umpire and opponent.All i`ve seen is that he took his bag and left court
I saw him shake hands with Oli and there was a warm smile. Didn't see if he shook hands with the umpire.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dunno about the ump, but on the replay they showed him giving Rochus a friendly handshake and bright smile near the seats.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Rochus is having a very good year, he has won a lot of tough 3 setters. Seems the Hewitt body is betraying him now, he still has the fighting spirit but the body just can't do it like it used to.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Yeah, I echo the words of others - depressing. What is worse is that Hewitt isn't a quitter at heart, so obviously this was really bothering him.

Both were playing like geriatrics, although Hewitt had reason to be playing like that...clearly still a problem with his foot, and he wasn't throwing himself around. Rochus was also giving up on some balls all too easily, although maybe he sensed that he didn't need to over-exert himself. He was hitting to a good level though, so he might fancy his chances of a good run considering how the bottom half of the draw lacks a real stand-out player.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I wrote an article for my blog saying that Hewitt's career was winding down earlier this year, but I really hope he can stick it out for a few more years. Just concentrate on playing 250s and the Slams. At the very least I hope he gets a WC into the next few Aussies, even if he is retired and won't play any other events (I really hope there isn't a rule stopping that, it would be great to see and I think the AO would be willing to do it).

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I wrote an article for my blog saying that Hewitt's career was winding down earlier this year, but I really hope he can stick it out for a few more years. Just concentrate on playing 250s and the Slams. At the very least I hope he gets a WC into the next few Aussies, even if he is retired and won't play any other events (I really hope there isn't a rule stopping that, it would be great to see and I think the AO would be willing to do it).
For the last couple of years I've been looking forward to him playing the Olympics at Wimbledon because I know how much he'd love it (basically two of his favourite tournaments in one). If he doesn't play or loses early at Wimbledon he'll barely have any ranking points.. don't want to check and see where he'd be :sad:

I'm getting worried that we won't get to see him there next year but hope I'm wrong and that he put's in a good showing at Wimby and is then fit to pick up points in North America where he has basically nothing to defend. I know he doen't care much about points, but you don't want to be stuck looking for WC's.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Lleyton :sad: my childhood favourite. So sad to see him like this. Love him for so many reasons, had the privilege of watching him at Wimbledon. The end is near, hope he can play next week :sad:

Reactions: bad gambler

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
For the last couple of years I've been looking forward to him playing the Olympics at Wimbledon because I know how much he'd love it (basically two of his favourite tournaments in one). If he doesn't play or loses early at Wimbledon he'll barely have any ranking points.. don't want to check and see where he'd be :sad:

I'm getting worried that we won't get to see him there next year but hope I'm wrong and that he put's in a good showing at Wimby and is then fit to pick up points in North America where he has basically nothing to defend. I know he doen't care much about points, bt you don't want to stuck looking for WC's.
Right, I basically pointed out that at this point there is a very real chance that the Olympics only being in a year is all that is keeping him in the game right now. He has plenty of money and a growing family now. No one would fault him for retiring, even if we want to see him play more.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts