Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is just a story of one guy taking his chances and the other guy not. Hubert had 7 break points in the first set but failed to take any then got broken on the first time of asking. That seemed to deflate him in the 2nd set and Fritz took control . Fritz served for it at 5-3 but Hubert was able to break there for the first time but it was really only a matter of time the way that 2nd set went. tiebreaker was fairly back and forth but Fritz took control up 5-4

disappointing. This was a good shot at a semi at least for Hubert, which would have been his first on tour level

Fritz gets Evans or Edmund next. Pretty sure this is Fritz's first deep run at an event outside the US.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hubert lost this match mentally. Fritz was so bad in the 1st set, serving df after df.
You have to take your chances when your opponent has a weak moment, otherwise it's tough to win.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Pretty sure this is Fritz's first deep run at an event outside the US.

Not exactly true. SF in Lyon last month, SF in Chengdu and QF in Basel last year. He's kinda doing this stealth thing where he's getting better and moving up the rankings without having any really "big" results. No finals, no trophies off the challenger tour.

If he hadn't bombed out so badly at his home tournament in Indian Wells, we'd be talking about him a lot more. He's really only about 100 ranking points away from mattering.

By the way, I only caught the last four games of the 2nd set, but I thought the commentators (particularly the woman, don't know her name) were strangely pro-Hurkacz. They were making claims about baseline depth that didn't match what I saw. So was it more noticeable in the first set?

But yes, Hurkacz played way behind the baseline. On Grass. And then rushed the net and did some magic stuff, but then ran to nearly Nadal depth, while Fritz played right ON the baseline for those games. Never moving in, but never really drifting back. Decent stuff, but not good enough for a deep Wimbly run against all-courters.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts