Mens Tennis Forums banner

WWW?

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Bring it Home
20,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, following my very successful prediction thread about RG made before the clay season started (Here), I'm making another one about Wimbledon!

And my sleeper for the tournament is...Marin Cilic!

I can't believe this guy has such lower odds to win the title. Last time I checked the odds were at 26.00, pretty much the same as poor grass players like Berdych and Nishikori.

As much as I don't believe in big guys winning Wimbledon, because of the very low bouncing, Cilic is an exception, he likes the grass and he has the game for the surface! Big serve, big forehand, excelent return. Also, he's coached by Ivanisevic, who knows everything about the tournament!

He's not playing very well this year, but this so called "bad form" can change with 2 or 3 good wins.

Of course, sometimes he's mentally weak and prone to losing to a random mug in every day, but if he can get throught the first week, well, he'll be very dangerous. We saw how his peak version is in USO 2014!

Marin Cilic isn't the favourite, but he is a pretty good sleeper for Wimbledon and he pretty much can win the title there!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Re: Marin Cilic a good sleeper for the Wimbledon title!

Has the game to play well on grass but he is a massive choker. If the match gets close he will fold faster than Superman on laundry day.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts

:lol:
Sorry buddy but lighting does not strike twice in the same place. Your Wawrinka prediction was awesome but there's no way Cilic wins Wimbledon.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts

Ok, following my very successful prediction thread about RG made before the clay season started (Here), I'm making another one about Wimbledon!

And my sleeper for the tournament is...Marin Cilic!

I can't believe this guy has such lower odds to win the title. Last time I checked the odds were at 26.00, pretty much the same as poor grass players like Berdych and Nishikori.

As much as I don't believe in big guys winning Wimbledon, because of the very low bouncing, Cilic is an exception, he likes the grass and he has the game for the surface! Big serve, big forehand, excelent return. Also, he's coached by Ivanisevic, who knows everything about the tournament!

He's not playing very well this year, but this so called "bad form" can change with 2 or 3 good wins.

Of course, sometimes he's mentally weak and prone to losing to a random mug in every day, but if he can get throught the first week, well, he'll be very dangerous. We saw how his peak version is in USO 2014!

Marin Cilic isn't the favourite, but he is a pretty good sleeper for Wimbledon and he pretty much can win the title there!
:facepalm:

·
Registered
11,858 Posts

Cilic is horrible on the low bounces, just like Stan :lol:

Honestly I think the sleeper pick here is more likely to be Tsonga.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
Early Wimbledon predictions

So, AO it's gone, Roland is gone. Now here comes the biggest, better, most prestigious Slam of all, WIMBLEDON!

Who will win it? Can Djokovic get his shit together after today's emotional roller coaster loss?

Can Federer pull a Federer?

Can Muzzray pull a 2013?

Can Nadal troll everyone?

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
Re: Early Wimbledon predictions

Voted for Djokovic to win his 2nd best Slam.

It's between him and Andy, as far as favourites are concerned.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts

Really looking forward to it this year. Novak showing he isn't invincible should give the other guys belief. The early favourites are Andy and Novak obviously but Nadal is going in with no pressure since nobody is expecting anything from him. Kyrgios and Kokk could do well with their serves and Dimitrov might resurrect his season since he is defending lots of points.

I hope Andy is in Fed's half since Stan probably wont live up to his seeding. Hope to see a fedal match early as well.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts

Kyrgios is the true sleeper.

·
Registered
350 Posts

There's no clear favorite imho. Murray is in good form but still grinding too much and creating top little to be safe at Wimbly. Djokovic just lost the match he most wanted. Federer and Nadal are done. They can't up their level enough to challenge whoever will be on fire. Even Raonic and Berdych have their chances.

·
Bring it Home
20,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Kyrgios is the true sleeper.
Nah, still too green to win it all. Could reach another QF pending on the draw though.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

I think Federer is in perfect shape for Wimbledon....everything he is doing well, are things that stand him in great stead at Wimbledon...in no accident. Look for even more s&v this year....stronger serving....and forehand firing better than last year.

If Stan doesn't suffer a hangover from RG, his game can be as effective there. Against Federer last year he was unplayable for a good part of the match...that was a tough out for a Fed who was cruising the draw.

Murray, obviously looking in great shape. Needs to consciously fall towards attack rather than defence and to 2nd serve well....two things not always easy for him.

Nole will start as favourite and be eager to make up for his RG loss with another title. More vulnerable early, but a very hard beat as the tournament wears on.

Dimitrov will be looking to put a poor season behind him, where better than Wimbledon....the place that suits his game and movement best. Looking for his best result of the season here.

Runs from Tomic, Kyrgios, Nishikori, Cilic, Tsonga are also likely. Draw obviously will be key.

·
Registered
168 Posts

first reaction was LOL...but on a second hand, with ivanisevic everything is possible :D

·
Registered
22,082 Posts

Where has this 'Cilic is good on grass' myth come from?
Well, he's not bad on grass, is he? He's got a QF, 2 R16 appearances at Wimbledon as well as a Queens title, a final, 2 QF appearances...

For this current era, he's definitely classed as "good".

·
Registered
5,702 Posts

Decent outside shot... Cilic has been targeting Wimbledon ever since he won the US Open.. Sure to produce his best game here, whether it will be good enough is another question, wouldn't discount you from getting an amazing double up here.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

I was saying the same thing last year, and it didn't quite eventuate (despite the deep run and 5 setter).

Bernard Tomic is a more interesting prospect to me, depending on his draw (stay the hell away from Berdych!).

·
The special one
14,384 Posts

Murray is winning Wimbledon this year, I have said it since the start of the year and even more convinced now, look at what he's done on his weakest surface this year, the only man that can stop him on grass is federer

·
Registered
2,800 Posts

Del Potro :worship:

1 - 20 of 254 Posts