·
Registered
12,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
As for Gasquet, it's true.
I am not so sure. I read it on the Brisbane website a couple if weeks ago, but now I can't find it anymore. :confused:

edit: Found it again, but it is well hidden. ;)

http://www.brisbaneinternational.com.au/2008/10/monfils-and-gasquet-on-their-way-to-brisbane#more-241

Monfils and Gasquet on their way to Brisbane
Tennis Australia Wednesday 8 October 2008

The French connection continues at the Brisbane International with the announcement today that World No.15 Richard Gasquet, and World No.28 Gael Monfils will compete in the inaugural event in January.

The dynamic Frenchmen will join compatriot and Australian Open finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in what is shaping up as a star-studded draw.

Brisbane International Tournament Director Steve Ayles said, “We are thrilled to have both Monfils and Gasquet coming to Brisbane. Along with Tsonga, they are all highly competitive players, both on the Tour and among themselves.

“Tsonga defeated Gasquet in the round of 16 at the Australian Open this year, and last week defeated Monfils in the semis in Bangkok, before going on to win the final over Novak Djokovic. Gasquet ousted Monfils at the AO in 2007 and earlier this year Gasquet teamed with Tsonga to defeat the Bryan brothers in the Medibank International in Sydney,” Ayles continued.

Monfils and Gasquet join Australian Open winner, Novak Djokovic in the men’s draw, with AO finalist Ana Ivanovic heading the women’s line-up.

The Brisbane International also received a positive response from tennis fans following the announcement last week of the $9.90 ground pass, which will be available for each day of the tournament.

Tickets go on sale through Ticketek on Thursday 9 October, with single session tickets for centre court starting at just $24.90.

“We are really looking forward to presenting the Brisbane International at the amazing new Queensland Tennis Centre in January,” Ayles stated. “And the $9.90 ground pass gives everyone the chance to be part of the action.”

Tickets will be on sale through Ticketek from Thursday 9 October and can be purchased online at www.ticketek.com.au or 1300 888 104.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I am not so sure. I read it on the Brisbane website a couple if weeks ago, but now I can't find it anymore. :confused:
I guess it is a bit silly having Fish's name there on the players page, but not Gasquet's. I can only imagine that they forgot to put him there.

When I read that Marko Djokovic was playing, at first I thought, "that's how we got Djokovic to come" but it's not anywhere as much of a big deal as singles.

Besides, Brisbane is where apparently Bernard Tomic will likely be getting a main draw wildcard into his first ATP event.

·
Registered
9,824 Posts
I guess it is a bit silly having Fish's name there on the players page, but not Gasquet's. I can only imagine that they forgot to put him there.

When I read that Marko Djokovic was playing, at first I thought, "that's how we got Djokovic to come" but it's not anywhere as much of a big deal as singles.

Besides, Brisbane is where apparently Bernard Tomic will likely be getting a main draw wildcard into his first ATP event.
agreed. i rather that tomic was given a wildcard to qualifying draw and earned his place into the main draw.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
agreed. i rather that tomic was given a wildcard to qualifying draw and earned his place into the main draw.
He hasn't ever even played qualifying in an ATP event before, has he? So it would be a big step up for him.

They may as well give a wildcard to Mark Philippoussis if he wants one, while they're at it.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
He hasn't ever even played qualifying in an ATP event before, has he? So it would be a big step up for him.

They may as well give a wildcard to Mark Philippoussis if he wants one, while they're at it.
Tomic played qualies at AO and won a round.

It'll be interesting who gets the wildcards. i think The Gooch will have to get one.

·
Registered
9,824 Posts

nope, he only played in the australian open and lost in the qualifying against amritraj. he also played in croatian challenger and lost in the early there also.

i dont want to see him get a wildcard into the main draw and get humiliated like marko djokovic in his atp debut. i think both groth and ball deserve a wild card instead because at least they been playing challengers and know what to expect.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Yes. Marocs' first tournament. And the Djokovic brothers! This will be a great tourney. Does anyone know if Brisbane is near Melbourne or Sydney?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
So the entry list will be released this friday? the 21st apparently is the cut off date, thats what i read. So if this is true then current rankings as of this week will be used to entry, correct?

I'm just thinking about Guccione getting main draw acceptance so we dont have to give him a wildcard.

·
Registered
9,824 Posts
So the entry list will be released this friday? the 21st apparently is the cut off date, thats what i read. So if this is true then current rankings as of this week will be used to entry, correct?

I'm just thinking about Guccione getting main draw acceptance so we dont have to give him a wildcard.
i think so.. hes 81st at the moment that should be good enough to get him into the main draw

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

I didn't realize it was so close by! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the entry list.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Marcelo Melo and André Sá play here!
Good luck brazilians!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts