Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"I played mostly to his backhand and then with my backhand go for down‑the‑line shots, that was the strategy, because his forehand is the best in the world. Considering the importance of the opponent and the match I think this is the best victory of my career. I've been playing very well in France, said Gulbis, who is 6-0 in ATP finals. I won tournaments in Marseille and Nice and hopefully Paris is the next one."

"I have to break a racquet on every court I play on! I couldn't disrespect the Philippe Chatrier like that, you know is the main court here in Paris (laughing). And let's say it, only one racquet is not a lot for me. Here the crowd is very tough, they can get very involved and make you lose your focus. So here I am forced to keep my emotions a little more inside and show less. That is actually helping me though, I play better".

Couldn't calm become a new habit? "I am the way I am" says Ernests, "the easiest thing you can do in your life is to say what you think. If you start lying, then you forget what you said and you can't keep up with that other reality. So if I am confident approaching a match I will tell you, because is true. Sometimes I can do a lot of things, other times be boring and very calm. It's the way I am, but of course I like when the crowd cheers for me and is on my side".

Gulbis, for his MTO, explained: “I'm honest, I'm not big on medical timeouts. I don't like to take it, but I take it when it's really necessary. It probably was my third medical timeout in life.”

“My back and hamstring were getting a little tight,” he said. “Unfortunately it was before his serve. I just had to do it, or else I might have pulled a muscle. I didn't want to take it in the fifth set, so I took it in the end of the fourth."

When someone suggested that the break left Federer flat, Gulbis added: “I don't like to see it that way. I like to see I went for my shots and I made winners. If you see those two games, I was really aggressive on my return, and I just went for the shots.”

EDIT: During his five-set victory over Roger Federer at the French Open on Sunday, Gulbis broke a racket by throwing it to the ground after losing a point. Just to make sure the job was done, Gulbis stepped on the racket and twisted the handle, completely mangling the thing and earning a warning from the chair umpire.

Then Gulbis, a 25-year-old from Latvia, walked over to the sideline and handed the racket to a boy sitting in the front row of the stands.

A reporter asked Gulbis whether he was setting a bad example by giving the fan that souvenir.

"I think it's a great gift. I would be really happy if a tennis player gives me his broken racket. He can refuse it if he doesn't want to take a gift. He can sit down and say, 'No, Ernests, I don't want it.' It's all about choices in life. We all have choices," Gulbis replied. "I can have a choice to break a racket and get a penalty. The kid can have the choice to take it or not. I think he did a great choice."

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
the easiest thing you can do in your life is to say what you think. If you start lying, then you forget what you said and you can't keep up with that other reality
:worship:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Brats gonna brat.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
I used to go back and forth on him, from love to hate, but now I think I'm squarely on the love side. If only he could fix that forehand :facepalm:

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
...and I wanna smash every television set I watch him on?

So?

He's a prat, a nasty prat, anybody that calls this guy a 'character' is silly imo, he's a spoilt little rich boy, that just so happens to have a big serve and backhand, so he's getting carried away, trying to make controversial statements so he can say; 'oh wow, look how much I am livening up the tour, the top 10 are so boring, I am such a card'. Yeah right, you're a tool Gulbis, A TOOL.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

So?

He's a prat, a nasty prat, anybody that calls this guy a 'character' is silly imo, he's a spoilt little rich boy, that just so happens to have a big serve and backhand, so he's getting carried away, trying to make controversial statements so he can say; 'oh wow, look how much I am livening up the tour, the top 10 are so boring, I am such a card'. Yeah right, you're a tool Gulbis, A TOOL.
:rolleyes: Look who's back

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts

So?

I actually agree, but it doesn't help your cause when you make threads titled "Mark my given words, Verdasco will absolutely crush Muzza tomorrow, CRUSH...." and then accuse other people of courting controversy in order to get attention and seem interesting. :lol:

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,842 Posts
Oh come on, at least he isn't boring like so many others on the tour. I think MacEnroe and Connors were more brash and bratty.

·
12,691 Posts
I actually agree, but it doesn't help your cause when you make threads titled "Mark my given words, Verdasco will absolutely crush Muzza tomorrow, CRUSH...." and then accuse other people of courting controversy in order to get attention and seem interesting. :lol:

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Sorry, I didn't know that sort of thread could ever rival; 'women should focus on making babies and that sort of stress, rather than tennis'

You wanna compare my thread on predicting a beatdown in a TENNIS match on a TENNIS forum, to Gulbis suggesting WOMEN should stay in the kitchen and not play sport in an interview, given to him by a TENNIS journalist?

Right.

Are you in-touch with reality btw? I have to check.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Sorry, I didn't know that sort of thread could ever rival; 'women should focus on making babies and that sort of stress, rather than tennis'

You wanna compare my thread on predicting a beatdown in a TENNIS match on a TENNIS forum, to Gulbis suggesting WOMEN should stay in the kitchen and not play sport in an interview, given to him by a TENNIS journalist?

Right.

Are you in-touch with reality btw? I have to check.
wow, chill out. it was just a funny observation, not a personal attack. you should get some green tea and meditate or something. ;)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Berdych is waiting for him and i am sure Berdych would not be so generous as Federer was!:)
I have zero expectations of Ernie winning that match, but I hope that he does. I also think his comments were moronic. I think he started off meaning well...and then he just kept on speaking and out came some idiocy. I was just having fun with it.

You're right about Federer being generous. I don't think Gulbis played his best by a long shot, but I was shocked by Federer's errors. However, if Ernie had played closer to his best, he would've beaten him in straight sets.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts