Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...are you just happy to see me?

I noticed that Dreddy had a ball in his pocket when receiving serve. Is this a regular thing with him? Maybe a confidence boost to feel like he is playing a point on his first serve?

(Apologies if this has been discussed before).

·
Registered
7,216 Posts

I noticed that Dreddy had a ball in his pocket when receiving serve. Is this a regular thing with him? Maybe a confidence boost to feel like he is playing a point on his first serve?

I think it's just another way not to waste any time(returning the ball to ballkids etc) and simple play at fast pace.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts

Commentators were saying that he was asking for the same ball back when he hit an ace/unreturnable. Suppose he could be keeping his favorite ball in his pocket on return games so he could use it again. Maybe not entirely kosher, IDK, but ump would've called him on it if it wasn't okay.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Commentators were saying that he was asking for the same ball back when he hit an ace/unreturnable. Suppose he could be keeping his favorite ball in his pocket on return games so he could use it again. Maybe not entirely kosher, IDK, but ump would've called him on it if it wasn't okay.
This he is superstitious.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I saw him couple of times taking the ball which wasn't 'a winner'. So that leaves superstition out.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
He just enjoys and plays the game just as kids do on local courts. And there are no ballkids there... you have to put the balls in your pocket :)

I think it's just another way not to waste any time(returning the ball to ballkids etc) and simple play at fast pace.
+1

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I think this should be the norm. Every player should take two balls before the serve. I hate how some players takes so much time for chosing the balls like they are in a candy shop.
towel after every point is also a No-Go for me

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I saw him do that two times and both times were after Rafa hit a first serve that was called out. He took the ball to save time.
I saw that too.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I saw him do that two times and both times were after Rafa hit a first serve that was called out. He took the ball to save time.
i saw it too and thought it was very strange

i didn't think that he was trying to save time and speed up the pace. if so, great tactic

nadal was doing his normal stalling tactics. guy stands at the line forever waiting to serve. moving non-existant hairs around his ears and face and touching his nose. then he serves a LET and takes the same routine again

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Reason is very simple. When he saw relatively "new" ball in good condition, he was saving it for himself for next service game.Therefore this ball was not in play in Nadal`s service game and didnt get all that hammering and punishing with Dull`s heavy topspin strokes.

It is not 100% fair though. Brown saved for himself relatively new ball to serve and volley in next game, but his opponent has 1 less ball to choose from.Little advantage, but still advantage.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Reason is very simple. When he saw relatively "new" ball in good condition, he was saving it for himself for next service game.Therefore this ball was not in play in Nadal`s service game and didnt get all that hammering and punishing with Dull`s heavy topspin strokes.

It is not 100% fair though. Brown saved for himself relatively new ball to serve and volley in next game, but his opponent has 1 less ball to choose from.Little advantage, but still advantage.
If he was doing this you'd expect him to be using that ball on a first serve, but he was using them on second serves. I was there and made a point of following it on a couple of occasions. In one case, for example, he took a ball after Nadal missed a forehand and put it in his pocket. He kept it for the full return game then took another ball from the ballboy for his first serve. He made it and played out the point, then took another ball from the ballboy for his next first serve. He missed it and only then did he use the ball in his pocket on a second serve.

If you want to benefit from a new ball you're going to use it on your first serve where you can get the most advantage from it - even with Brown's tendency to hit big second serves it doesn't make much sense to keep a new ball for your second serve.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
The simple and true answer is that Brown has probably played far more tennis than most without plenty of ball staff, therefore he's probably habitually putting the ball in his pocket like many club players do. I've seen him do it before.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts