Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting question I think because his career overlaps with the career of so many all time greats. From Mcenroe/lendl to Federer/Nadal. Some people might think the answer to this question can help us compare the greatness of players from different generations.

Does anyone know if Agassi was asked this question? Obviously he knows best.

Personally. I'm not sure, but I do believe that he played SOME of his best tennis from 1999 right up until 2005. I think although older he was certainly more motivated than he was for much of the 90's and generally fitter as well. For much of the 90's I think he was underachieving. Simply less motivated. On the other hand he was quicker in the 80's and most of the 90's.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: LawrenceOfTennis

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has he ever been asked? Someone should ask him. Is he on twitter?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read his book last year and I think somewhere he mentions his prime was in 95 summer referring to the great streak.
Makes sense. But that's a very short period of time. We know he had lots of problems in the 90's. In 1998 he started a rigorous exercise program which makes me think that one could argue he was consistently better from 1999-2005 then in his unstable years.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
1995 was his highest level I think, but you're right, he was consistently good 1999-03 in a way he wasn't at any other comparable period.

·
Banned
5,509 Posts
Makes sense. But that's a very short period of time. We know he had lots of problems in the 90's. In 1998 he started a rigorous exercise program which makes me think that one could argue he was consistently better from 1999-2005 then in his unstable years.

Any thoughts?
Just checked w/l, and 1995 is the best year while 1999 comes second tied with 1998.
And yes, I also think between 1999-2001 was a great period.

·
Your visions will happen
48,513 Posts
95 was his peak for sure.

But 99 to 05 was his consistently high level of play.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
so.... Davydenko have beaten Agassi in his high level of play ? wow !

·
Registered
528 Posts
1995 probably. His come back in 99 was pretty impressive as well. Can't go wrong either year.

He stayed good all the way till the end as he wasn't the type of player that really relied on athleticism to a huge degree so when he lost a step it didn't matter as much. Although the last few years he was less consistent gamewise even if he could show his A game for a match, or a few sets here and there.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
1995 probably. His come back in 99 was pretty impressive as well. Can't go wrong either year.

He stayed good all the way till the end as he wasn't the type of player that really relied on athleticism to a huge degree so when he lost a step it didn't matter as much. Although the last few years he was less consistent gamewise even if he could show his A game for a match, or a few sets here and there.
He was not so bad as an athlet look, ;)

better than any James Bond :) :) :)

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
He was not so bad as an athlet look, ;)

better than any James Bond :) :) :)
Sure he could still move and was strong but not in Sampras, Fed's, Nadal's, Djoker's league.

Agassi had insane hand-eye coordination and was the purest striker of the ball out of all of these players probably. He's in a league of his own on that front perhaps! Or maybe Connors too, and maybe some super old timers I have no clue about.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sure he could still move and was strong but not in Sampras, Fed's, Nadal's, Djoker's league.

Agassi had insane hand-eye coordination and was the purest striker of the ball out of all of these players probably. He's in a league of his own on that front perhaps! Or maybe Connors too, and maybe some super old timers I have no clue about.

but they were/are not so attractive, ;)
:):p :worship:

Andre is most nice ATP player ever :wavey: :) :) :)

-------------------------------------------------------------
He is known everywere in the world...:)
Ask some one out of tennis stadium and this forum, who is nadal, nole or sampras, federer...
no one wil answer ;);)

·
Registered
224 Posts
In terms of individual year

1994-95 was his bully-flashy-dominant form, but 1999-2000 was his best Grand Slam stretch 4 finals 3 wins

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
During/after 1999 - Steffi taught him how to play properly and not clown around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts