Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Due to popular demand, the Laver Cup, an international team event that pits six of the top male tennis players from Europe against six of their counterparts from the rest of the world, will return to the international tennis calendar every year starting in 2020.

The Laver Cup originally debuted to sell-out crowds in Prague, Czech Republic, last year. This year's event will take place in Chicago, with a European venue for 2019 to be revealed in the weeks to come.

The appeal of the Laver Cup in Prague and Chicago has prompted the decision to also stage the event in 2020.

“On the back of Prague, strong player interest and the amazing public and commercial response for this year’s event in Chicago, we feel the time is right to publicly map out our next phase of growth,” Laver Cup Managing Director Steve Zacks said. “We initially scheduled the event for three consecutive years with the Olympic year off. But the strong demand compels us to build on the great momentum the Laver Cup has created by holding the event every year.

“The intense competition, great team chemistry, the black court, unique scoring system, innovative broadcast and superb fan experience all contributed to a benchmark we aim to exceed in Chicago and each year thereafter. There is no reason to take a year off.”

https://www.usta.com/en/home/pro/pro-media---news/laver-cup-to-be-held-annually-starting-in-2020.html

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
It happened in 2017 and 2018, and it was already scheduled to happen in 2019.

Is that not annually? Is that once in 3 years?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

This is to say that Love Cup is here to stay for many many years.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts

It was originally scheduled for 3 years and was planning to not happen in the Olympic year (2020), but they have now decided they won't have any off years and will have it every year.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
This is to say that Love Cup is here to stay for many many years.
Europe vs. World is terrible format and it only semi-works because big 3 are Europeans. They should scrap that and instead make it team tennis legend 1 vs team tennis legend 2, who would both choose players one by one from the same pool. It would guarantee balanced strength for both teams and possible decent tournament instead of this clown fiesta.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
At this rate the Laver Cup will be a quarterly event!

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Can the event be carried by other players when Roger retires? Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of the Laver Cup :zzz:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can the event be carried by other players when Roger retires?
This question could apply more broadly to men's tennis as well. How will interest in the ATP change once the big four retire? Personally I think it will be just fine; more stars will rise to fill the void, and while they might not be nearly as dominant as any of the big four, I suspect that the increasing globalization of tennis will help generate new and interesting storylines and rivalries.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Roger, Novak and Rafa are really conspiring to ruin the ATP and spoil these youngster with the taste of money to ensure their record will not be breakable once they retire. As a fan of the Serb, I'm actually disgusted.

*a little bit exaggerating, but y'all get my point

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
This question could apply more broadly to men's tennis as well. How will interest in the ATP change once the big four retire? Personally I think it will be just fine; more stars will rise to fill the void, and while they might not be nearly as dominant as any of the big four, I suspect that the increasing globalization of tennis will help generate new and interesting storylines and rivalries.
It seems like Laver Cup is being carried more heavily by star power than the rest of men's tennis. Maybe that's only because it's so new.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
It seems like Laver Cup is being carried more heavily by star power than the rest of men's tennis. Maybe that's only because it's so new.
This was also my thought on this subject. The ATP will go on without the current group of great stars we have been so lucky to have had for so many years, but I'm not sure something like the Laver Cup will last?

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Europe vs. World is terrible format and it only semi-works because big 3 are Europeans. They should scrap that and instead make it team tennis legend 1 vs team tennis legend 2, who would both choose players one by one from the same pool. It would guarantee balanced strength for both teams and possible decent tournament instead of this clown fiesta.
Sounds like a good idea. More balanced teams. The classic backyard method. (Although disagree on tournament not being decent / being utter clownery).

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. More balanced teams. The classic backyard method. (Although disagree on tournament not being decent / being utter clownery).
That's perfect description of what I was thinking of - backyard method. Thank you. They could make a big spectacle for the crowd out of creating teams as well.
Whole event was impeccably organized, yet it just didn't feel spontaneous at key moments. Some say celebrations were Davis Cup like but they couldn't be further from the real thing. At least that's how I saw it.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Europe vs World is good

It's less artificial than random teams, or even country-based teams like Hopman Cup (which would be half the fun if not for the male/female dynamic)

It ensures several countries (up to 10!) are represented through their star players. Ensuring minimum audience from USA, Australia, probably soon Asia, UK, Germany, France, Spain, Canada, Argentina...

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Good news for Fed fans. Grandpa will still be playing after turning 40 (smart scheduling: 1 event per year).

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Grand Slam Cup had also lot of star power and huge amount of money for players . Now hardly anyone remembers who won it and when . Completely irrelevant tourney ,totally forgotten "champions"

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
lol annually

1 - 17 of 17 Posts