Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Match of the year and it's not close. Both men should take a bow after that one.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Epic match, one of the classics. Kudos to both man for such a great match. Congrats to Stefanos. What a fighter!!

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Tennis won by this match, it can now survive 5 more Isner-Opielka matches.

·
justice for all
13,137 Posts
Stef marches on. Once again he proves he's very strong mentally. Well done. And welcome to the TOP10, champ!
Number 1 is not as far as some think, it's only the question of time...

Looking forward to the mouthwatering final vs Roger. :)

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
One of the best BO3 matches in recent years, especially for those who love variety and fast-court tennis. Still early in the season, but I like the WTF chances of both men with their sublime form so far. Tsitsipas started hot, breaking Monfils early and covering the net to race to a 3-0 lead. However, Monfils soon broke back with two rocket FH returns. He gradually settled down on the baseline and frustrated Tsitsipas with his wall-like defense. winning 5 games in a row. Serving for the set, Monfils hit two incredible FH winners into the corner to seal the deal.

Second set became more of a battle, with both players saving BPs in the first 2 games and featuring a 30-shot rally won by Monfils to save a crucial BP. At 1-1, a long game occurred and Tsitsipas dived for a volley (his trademark move), which almostgot himself injured but luckily it wasn’t serious. He did lose serve through a DF, but he quickly earned the rebreak. At 5-4, Monfils saved SP with a FH winner that just clipped the side of the line, and the set went to a TB. Monfils made a few stray errors in the TB and was robbed a vital point at 4-5 by a non-call, so Tsitsipas claimed the set with a return winner.

Start of third set saw both players look a bit tired, and quality wavered a bit with some great shots mixed with some poor errors. The true battle began at 3-3, when Monfils held serve after multiple deuces. Next game, Monfils had several BPs but failed to make the killing shot. With concentration levels raised by both, the next few games were clean holds. Tsitsipas encountered a bit of trouble at 5-6, but he didn’t panic and managed to close the game out to reach a deciding TB. Monfils had a poor UE early on and that proved to be fatal.

A few things made this match stand out for me: The variety both players were applying to their games, Tsitsipas’s consistent net-rushing paired with Monfils’s defense and passing shots, maintained high level without obvious letdowns, and explosive winners struck by both and how they are able to make the other play one more shot in countless occasions.

First time I’ve stayed up till midnight to watch a match this year, good night folks. :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Was his dad not happy that he threw the racket at the end? :spit: But that racket throwing was so random and out of nowhere though coz it's the opposite side of his chair :spit: What would have gonna happened if it had hit the head of a journalist/photographer? :lol:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sadly only saw the end, but it was so intense. Congrats Stefanos on Top 10.

Bit of a robbery tbh, though Monfils is also to blame for not challenging.
Yeah, don't know how that smash was called in? :lol:

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Really entertaining match, very happy for Stefanos and I'd like to see him win the title, him or Federer.

Was he getting told off by his dad at the end there? He threw his racquet and dad was not impressed.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Tsitsipas really is an impressive player. Despite his young age, his shows great maturity when it comes to understanding the game - when to come forward, when to play which kind of volley... In addition to that, he has a good serve and can take the ball on the rise. Makes me happy to see another youngster with such potential.

In terms of tennis IQ, Stefanos is miles above Monfils. But what Gael lacks in game plan, he makes up for in physical gifts. I don't like Clownfils, but he's fighting harder lately. This sure was a cool match.

·
Registered
33 Posts
An incredible match. At one point in the 3rd they were both using every single inch of the court and smacking what would have been winners against any other player. Just great angles and problem solving, Tsitsi's netplay was insane.

I don't know how the entire arena (including the umpire, line judge, and LaMonf himself) missed that wide ball from Tsitsi in the 2nd set tiebreak, but I don't think the match was won and lost on that single point. When you look at all the break points they struggled to convert....

Both were playing so well it would be sad for both to have Stef lose the final now lol. I hope he takes it.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
I'm usually as positive as can be, but Tsitsipas showed he still has a LOT to learn.

Negatives:
- insisting on replaying the point when it was clear he stopped before the call
- doing it a second time
- faking injury after dive
- losing it after a couple of massive returns from Monfils in the first set, after dominating the beginning
- gamesmanship with rackets and shoes; that HAS to stop
- receiving particularly blatant coaching from his camp; also, nobody calling him out on that

Positives:
- kept it together long enough to get back into the second set
- continued to go for his shots even down break points or when serving to stay in the match; this one will probably win him many tournaments, as long as he stays fearless

In addition, there is one huge asterisk to the match, the blown call at 5-4 is the second set breaker. Monfils will be kicking himself for not noticing.

·
justice for all
13,137 Posts
Tsitsipas really is an impressive player. Despite his young age, his shows great maturity when it comes to understanding the game - when to come forward, when to play which kind of volley... In addition to that, he has a good serve and can take the ball on the rise. Makes me happy to see another youngster with such potential.

In terms of tennis IQ, Stefanos is miles above Monfils. But what Gael lacks in game plan, he makes up for in physical gifts. I don't like Clownfils, but he's fighting harder lately. This sure was a cool match.
That's the key to beat Nadal next time they meet. He needs to do it even more consistently having a OHBH.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts