Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When was the last time Nadal lost only 8 points on his service ?

·
Registered
770 Posts
The way the scoreline should be against a qualifier. When was the last time Rafa fed someone a bagel? I only remember the last time he was bageled. :lol:

Reactions: Mimi

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
When was the last time Nadal lost only 8 points on his service ?
Probably the last time he faced a player with such crappy returns (Alun Jones not withstanding)
I really didn't expect him to be as defensive as he was against that kind of opponent, he didn't even try to take control of a point in the first 8 games. The scoreline makes it look like he stepped it up, but it was more due to Ledovskikh's level dropping.

·
@Ryan's Hat
19,893 Posts
exellent, expected...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Rafa Nadal: The King of Qualifiers.

Wake me up when he bagels a person who's played at least 10 matches at the ATP level.

PS: VAMOS!

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
I don't think anyone should've expected anything else to happen here... a very poor qualifier against the world's #2. :lol:

Anyway, well done & congrats Rafa! :hatoff:

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Probably the last time he faced a player with such crappy returns (Alun Jones not withstanding)
I really didn't expect him to be as defensive as he was against that kind of opponent, he didn't even try to take control of a point in the first 8 games. The scoreline makes it look like he stepped it up, but it was more due to Ledovskikh's level dropping.
thats exactly how i saw the match! he was way to passive. he may have got a 6-0 2nd set but it was only because ledovskikhs head dropped and he sprayed errors all over the place.

i thought this would have been the perfect match for nadal to try and be agressive, as he was never gonna lose it. if he dosen't practice being up on the baseline against lower ranked players hows he gonna pull it off against better players when he needs to do it. :confused:

·
Vault Hunter
6,521 Posts
Well done, Rafa, for winning this 2nd round match. :worship:

I didn't expect from Rafa to play agressively today. I think his confidence is still building up. He said in Rotterdam vs Seppi he experienced a mental break-down and that he was not very confident when he started playing Dubai. He'll need few more wins to become more confident and start playing more agressively. Yeah, Rafa is running out of time, the QF is not going to be easy, he'll have to step it up if he wants to win.

Bamos, Rafa. :)

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
i thought this would have been the perfect match for nadal to try and be agressive, as he was never gonna lose it. if he dosen't practice being up on the baseline against lower ranked players hows he gonna pull it off against better players when he needs to do it. :confused:
Well... you have a point about this having been the perfect occasion for Raf to try to be more aggressive in a match - but on the other hand, he probably knew very well that he was going to beat this eh... mug with ease, and might have chosen to save energy for upcoming matches. :shrug:
Just my guess...

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Well done, Rafa, for winning this 2nd round match. :worship:

I didn't expect from Rafa to play agressively today. I think his confidence is still building up. He said in Rotterdam vs Seppi he experienced a mental break-down and that he was not very confident when he started playing Dubai. He'll need few more wins to become more confident and start playing more agressively. Yeah, Rafa is running out of time, the QF is not going to be easy, he'll have to step it up if he wants to win.

Bamos, Rafa. :)

unfortunately his game is not where it should have been already. he will probably get by Roddick or Mathieu but it will be difficult to derail Djokovic in the semis.

i realize he has some natural limitations on hard courts due to his very heavy topspin strokes but he can still make his life little easier by serving better, returning better, and better fitness. this russian clown doesnt count. its about dealing with better players on hard courts.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
playing someone as useless as him ...... Nadal would expect to lose only 8 pts.

this guy would have been beaten in Q1 had he played anyone half decent.

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
unfortunately his game is not where it should have been already. he will probably get by Roddick or Mathieu but it will be difficult to derail Djokovic in the semis.

i realize he has some natural limitations on hard courts due to his very heavy topspin strokes but he can still make his life little easier by serving better, returning better, and better fitness. this russian clown doesnt count. its about dealing with better players on hard courts.
I think you should change your username to ClayCaptainObvious:)

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
Vamon Rafito! :worship: :bowdown: Hardcourt Champion!! :kiss: :kiss:

I didn't see the match but it sounds like he played awesome! Only 8 points lost on serve :eek: Amazing.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Vamosss Rafa :D

·
MONSOON season.
82,480 Posts
Rafa really didn't bother to experiment in this match :shrug:

Good fight, Mikhail. I think you showed what you can do in the first set. Unfortunately, he also showed that a Top 100 position is highly unlikely. He served much better than I have seen him do though!

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Wow difficult draws this Nadal gets lately eh

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Well... you have a point about this having been the perfect occasion for Raf to try to be more aggressive in a match - but on the other hand, he probably knew very well that he was going to beat this eh... mug with ease, and might have chosen to save energy for upcoming matches. :shrug:
Just my guess...
but thats my point! whats more exhausting, playing 5 feet behind the baseline chasing down balls and wearing down an oponent, or playing on the baseline going for winners, he will miss some but against ledovskikh it realy wasn't going to matter.
playing the way he did today djokovic will beat him, so he might as well have tried to be agressive especialy as ledovskikh is slow moving, why let the guy dictate, when that was the only way ledovskikh can win a point?

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
but thats my point! whats more exhausting, playing 5 feet behind the baseline chasing down balls and wearing down an oponent, or playing on the baseline going for winners, he will miss some but against ledovskikh it realy wasn't going to matter.
playing the way he did today djokovic will beat him, so he might as well have tried to be agressive especialy as ledovskikh is slow moving, why let the guy dictate, when that was the only way ledovskikh can win a point?
Because 'lingering five feet behind the baseline chasing balls' is Rafa's Comfort Zone-way of playing. He knowns for sure he'll win such a match against a qualifier (who mysteriously made his way into the 2nd round) with ease playing like that. :eek:

I agree with you that I'd like to see him play more aggressive as well, but for some reason he just won't do it. You can call it a flaw in his tactics - but in this case I'm sure he knew exactly what he was doing.
Indeed - playing against Djoko will require very different tactics, let's just wait and see what Raf will try and do against him.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts