Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucky federer with the net chord to break point, but the next point was played really well to earn it in the end. It’s a real rollercoaster ride as a federer fan these days. The constant slumps at the beginning of second sets are really annoying

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I wouldn't say Roger was bad today, but more that he just seems limited nowadays. He can still serve bot his way to alot of easy holds. But when the rallies started, it was Verdasco's forehand that was the biggest weapon in this match.

Verdasco just got unlucky on a few points. This match should have went to a 3rd set TB.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
What happened on Verdasco's serve, 3-4, 30-30...? My connection broke down, and took a while to get it sorted, match already over... Apparently a netcord on that point to hand Fed a BP opportunity which he took?

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Lucky federer with the net chord to break point, but the next point was played really well to earn it in the end. It’s a real rollercoaster ride as a federer fan these days. The constant slumps at the beginning of second sets are really annoying
Despite some erratic play in first (Verdasco) and second sets (Federer), high level stuff from both men in the final set. Incredible points. Fernando showing off his powerful forehand.
Federer showing why he is one of the greatest on break point at 4-3, bringing it all in 26 shot rally to break and then serving out in style to win the match. The crowd nearly went ballistic on that break point.

An earlier point with Federer volleying shot after Verdasco shot, before Fernando launched one out was also memorable.

Very warm handshake and hug at the net from these two over-30 warriors.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
What happened on Verdasco's serve, 3-4, 30-30...? My connection broke down, and took a while to get it sorted, match already over... Apparently a netcord on that point to hand Fed a BP opportunity which he took?
Yup, a net cord basically gave Federer a BP. He won the match after a long rally.

·
Registered
21,270 Posts
Luck netcord at 30-30 all, but an amazing rally to break serve at 30-40

·
Super Moderator
8,199 Posts
Couldn't watch the match, but this looks bad. Fed will lose to the first constantly decent player in the draw sadly

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
As I predicted in the match thread, Federer will win the first set comfortably and then his level would drop. That’s exactly what happened. Watching Federer play nowadays is such a rollercoaster ride, indeed. His tactics were so frustrating. Kept going to Verdasco’s forehand side, who was absolutely on fire from that wing. Really dumb and frustrating tennis from Federer. I really don’t see this Federer beating Monfils, Tsitsipas or Coric to win the tournament.

A year ago, many were talking about the possibility of Federer surpassing Connor’s 109 title wins. Now, it seems like even getting to 100 titles is a struggle.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Nothing between them in 1st set, but Nidnando gifted it to Federer. 2nd and 3rd have deservedly gone to better player.
Federer with better stats too, 36W/27UE to Nando's 13W/21UE.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I watched the match from 2nd set and Verdasco must have upped his level compared to set #1. He was solid in his service games most of the time. I wouldn't say Federer was that bad. At 3-3 in the 3rd I felt that Fiasco would be broken in a moment. Fed defeated two potentially tricky opponents. He needed 3 sets both times but I wouldn't bet against him in this tournament. He should get better in following days.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Showed all his vast experience to come through several tricky moments against a GOATing Dasco. As Annabel Croft said in commentary, the more spin you put on the ball the better chance it will fall on the right side with a netcord, and the next point was pure magic. Match win no 1185. GOAT.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Couldn't watch the match, but this looks bad. Fed will lose to the first constantly decent player in the draw sadly
So basically every win here for Fed will be vs a "bad player". Wow, you can't be wrong with that prediction. Keep trolling, this one's in the bag. Sorry mate.:wink2:

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As I predicted in the match thread, Federer will win the first set comfortably and then his level would drop. That’s exactly what happened. Watching Federer play nowadays is such a rollercoaster ride, indeed. His tactics were so frustrating. Kept going to Verdasco’s forehand side, who was absolutely on fire from that wing. Really dumb and frustrating tennis from Federer. I really don’t see this Federer beating Monfils, Tsitsipas or Coric to win the tournament.

A year ago, many were talking about the possibility of Federer surpassing Connor’s 109 title wins. Now, it seems like even getting to 100 titles is a struggle.
Well I don’t think coric will make it this far. He’s in bad Form and was lucky to escape challenger journeyman vesely (who hasn’t had a remarkable win in over 2 years now) and both monfils and tsitsipas will be tired af by the time they reach the final. Furthermore every match is different. And tsitsipas lost to dzumhur and monfils to Fritz not so long ago.
And he is still a lot better than in Basel last year which he won.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
The upside is that there aren't too many of those around these days; and left here in Dubai. In Fed's potential path, he really should get past Fucsovics. But then it could be Basilashvili (decent form), Coric (form so so, but last year a tough matchup) or Berdych (hasn't really posed that big of a challenge, but we'll see how he does against Coric). Then in the F you could have one of two in-form opponents in Tsitsi and Monfils. Honestly a good chance for Fed, but SF and F should be tougher bouts (not looking past QF though; credit to Johnny Groove)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Obviously some exagerating about how bad was Fed, but in fact, his level is quite decent, especially his ground game is much better. If his serve% doesn't let him down, i think he has a good shot winning the 100 here.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
My theory about Fed is that his technique or game is still here but he needs more effort to execute it. He always suffers slumps after a brief good showing, possibly because he thinks he can afford to play lazy for a while to catch a breath...he can break if he wants but he needs a lot of effort.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts