Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dull match with no life in it. Medvedev looked apathetic, like he didn't even want to be on the court. Ričardas kept his cool, was solid from the baseline and was able to close it out on his 2nd try with a nice forehand down the line.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Good to see Ricardas playing well again. He's very talented player, but his mentality, physical conditions and a lot of injuries are too much for him. But he's able to play like that from time to time.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Medvedev was awful fron start to finish :facepalm: Also had a confrontation with the chair umpire over a late challenge in the first set - presumably he'll consult with him post-match to be shown the relevant rule as he demanded at the time :tape: My stream cut off before match stats were shown but Medvedev was spraying UEs galore throughout and undoubtedly 'won' that category.

Berankis OTOH played very solidly and smart :thumbsup: Was the aggressor in most rallies, bossing Medvedev from on top of the BL with the Russian defending from metres behind, and used slice to good effect. Should have been a breadstick in the second set but the qualifier was naturally tight serving for the match... Eventually closed it out on his third MP next service game with a great FH DTL.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My stream cut off before match stats were shown but Medvedev was spraying UEs galore throughout and undoubtedly 'won' that category.
He was something like 14 winners and 33 unforced errors if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
He was something like 14 winners and 33 unforced errors if I remember correctly.
Yes, I remember seeing something similar in the second set even before the match ended. His serve was also really poor today and he didn't do a whole lot to attack that of his much shorter adversary.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Had Meddy and RBA (and Coric) penciled in as top threats for Fed. Didn't see the match, but bit of a surprise considering Meddy's form. Considering the amount of UE's, some exhaustion showing or just general inconsistency/a bad day?

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Had Meddy and RBA penciled in as top threats for Fed. Didn't see the match, but bit of a surprise considering Meddy's form. Considering the amount of UE's, some exhaustion showing or just general inconsistency/a bad day?
Probably a bit more of the latter than the former IMO, although he's not known for great stamina. Seems to me like Medvedev waited until the match was almost over to start playing the way he should have right from the beginning - but already down 3-6 1-5, it was too little too late :shrug:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Just saw the highlights and it should have been a 1 min video. Instead of a 10 min that seemed half an hour .

Boring rallies ending in Un/Forced Errors

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Haven’t been able to take Berankis seriously since he lost to Marcus Willis.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Khachanov/Medvedev now being battered in doubles, can't be good for their confidence :tears:

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I didn't see the match and from the comments I can't say I'm sorry I didn't see it. Khachanov had been off track and I guess now Medvedev is joining him :sad:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Medvedev has to work on his nerve.

Most of the match he was upset about the conditions trying to go into the shade as much as possible and complaining again and again about his legs collapsing when hitting.

You cannot enter a court ranting and complaining if you want to win, first you need to cool down and regroup but instead of it Medvedev just tried to hit stronger making a few points but piling UEs.

Berankis played very aggressively especially on some return games but honestly he was gifted so many free points that you cannot say he made a great match just a good consistant one, playing alternatively topspin and low bounce and making Medvedev run and loose his balance.

TBH there is kind of a lack of consistant defensive skills in Daniil game and he often gets frustated if having to defend a lot.

Down 3/6 1/5 Daniil finally decided to focuse and stop ballbashing, broke saving MP, won his serve, and could have build Something on that Momentum as he was clearly far better than Berankis but once again despite going to deuce, another couple of UEs on easy attacking points ruined his chances.

I am afraid he was not respecting his opponent level when entering the court and got what he deserves (and no hate I pretty like him).

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Youngsters :facepalm:
SF, F and W already this season. 5th in Race. But an expected post of course as soon as a younger player has a bad match. The older players never have such... just glory days 24/7/365.

edit. Oh yeah, also 4th rd and the best showing out of all against Djokovic in AO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts