7,697 Posts
Re: Dubai R1: Rafa def. Kohli 3-6 6-1 6-4

Congrats Rafa :yeah:
Kohli :hug:

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Re: Dubai R1: Rafa def. Kohli 3-6 6-1 6-4

Good match, not the greatest play from Nadal, although he did play a great return game in the third to go up 4*-3. Good fight from Kohlschreiber, but wasn't enough today. :yeah: to both players
Forgot to add, Nadal really needs to drop the Djokovic-type ball bouncing. At times it got rather annoying

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Dubai R1: Nadal def. Kohli 3-6, 6-1, 6-4

I thought Philipp was going to pull this one out. He looked to have the momentum. The two traded breaks at 2 all and then Rafa broke at love to make it 4-3. At least Kohli seems to have played well.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm happy as hell. Rafa didn't play great, but it's HC, and I don't expect him to anymore. He didn't play great against Seppi, either, but he lost that match. It was nice to watch him flat out refuse to lose. Thank God Cabbage's form dropped a bit at times during the match, but most of the time it gave Rafa fits. That's the kind of player that Rafa loses to even when he is playing well. When he let all those bp chances in the 3rd set go to waste, I was worried the Rafa of the past few months was rearing his ugly, defeated head. Glad to be proven wrong.

He hit some great shots in that match. Mostly in the 2nd and 3rd sets. The shots where there was absolutely nothing Kohlschreiber could do. Those were great to see.

Reactions: DhammaTiger

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Pretty typical Nadal hardcourt match.

Phillip outplayed him for a while then obligingly tossed his cookies and let Nadal grind him down, the shots started spraying and it was all over about 30 minutes before the umpire called GSM.

He needs to get past that, Kohlschreiber - he does this too much. Plays outstanding for a bit and then suddenly it's nowhere to be found.

Nadal was much better at the end of the match though - Kohli snatched the break back but Nadal finally moved up a gear, broke decisively and brought it home.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rafa was extremly lousy in 1st set, way too passive and Philip dictated all the play. Too bad for him (and luckily for Nadal) that he couldn't maintain that level. Now H2H goes to 4:0.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Re: Dubai R1: Nadal def. Kohli 3-6, 6-1, 6-4

I thought Kohlschreiber played very well in the first set. The last two sets were full of missed break opportunities and silly errors. Nadal wasn't playing superb either. He won because he was more consistent. If you saw how many games went to deuce, you would see neither was playing at their best.

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Not particularly good at all from Rafa, but got better as the match went on and did well to scrape out a win.

Kohli had the match in his hands and he blew it by making some silly errors at bad times.

Rafa's depth was once again a problem, and his backhand continues to worry me. I don't remember one outright winner.

And Rafa, please ditch this ball bouncing it is ridiculous how long you're taking. Mo only gave him 1 warning but he deserved several more.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
ugly match, especially the 2nd set.

Kohli :mad:

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Kohli shits himself with the chance to break at 2:3. Nadal only has to use willpower against these pansies.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
kohli was playing more agrassive than nadal,but he made errors in the important points
nadal was very passive
congrats rafa

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
In my opinion, given his recent "sex change" (turning into Rafa Sanchez Vicario), it was wonderful to see him get his mojo back against a player like Kohlschreiber. VERY difficult match, and Rafa played AND COMPETED like a champion. The brightest moment for me: Rafa gets broken after two back to back winners by Kohl...and what does he do? He plays an AGGRESSIVE game...and breaks at love!!!
That's what he needs to do, and...if he can string another victory or two together...watch out!!!

And, his overall disposition was MUCH BETTER than in Rotterdam (I hope he never plays there again).
Classy, as usual, signing autographs for the kids. VAMOS!!!!!!

Only one gripe: PLEASE STOP THE BALL BOUNCING. I hope he actually loses a point because of it. Sometimes, punishment is needed and warranted to deal with such unfair infractions.

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
Rafa was really lucky Kohli is a mental midget, as he was there for the taking, he only played decently in last games of the match. He will need to lift his game several notches if he wants to have some kind of a good run in next events

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Not really. These days Nadal is playing his worst tennis ever. His confidence has gone downhill
True. I have a dozen of Rafa's 2004, 2005 matches. He played back then awesome. He was cranking that forehand like hell. He was so fired up... vamosing all over the place. I miss these days.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts