Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
happy dan managed to pull out that 2nd set because i doubt very much he'd have won a 3rd.

rublev is extremely one dimensional. just not impressed at all. much like shapovalov he can hit the ball hard but if he's made to think like he was today he cant cope. dan would have won easier if not for his own mental demons

·
Registered
13,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
happy dan managed to pull out that 2nd set because i doubt very much he'd have won a 3rd.

rublev is extremely one dimensional. just not impressed at all. much like shapovalov he can hit the ball hard but if he's made to think like he was today he cant cope. dan would have won easier if not for his own mental demons
Haha. Good one.

Evans saved like 10 BP's before getting broken. Rublev had a play at like 6 straight return games.

If Evans had been anything less than stellar mentally, Rublev would have won.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
please, Goffin was just fine, it was only since the Rublev loss that he was bad...

Krajinovic and Evans played monstrous, show some respect. Krajinovic also took it to Monfils, and beat Pospisil.
Yep , I would not go as far as that because none here is painting Ruvlev to be the top player quite yet. Hes not even close. 250 are overrated in top tennis debate indeed. And Ruvlev lost to an equally peer peak level krajinovic and match up nightmare evans. Ruvlev was "supposed" to win here Instead he got exposed as not being able to adjust (as poninted one dimentional and scared) thats the bad news, but even in that case he was damn close to win! Thats the good news for him

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
That's a hell of a win. Would love him to make the final and he'd have a shot against Struff as well.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Sorry maybe that will sound a bit harsh but I've been watching this player for too long now.
And for me Andrey Rublev is an extremely one-dimensional player who will never win anything above 500.
He has one working strategy: run around his BH and hit hard with his FH with similar spin and direction. It's a good shot and this tactics will work vs the lesser players but when he'll run into a good defender or someone who will abuse his BH with deep slices he'll just have no answer and fall apart. No plan B, no variety and touch. Enough to win a few 250 and be a consistent TOP20 player but not more than that.

Good win for Evans who should have been out already but is in the SF now - he should use what remains of his career, a few good years with occasional peaks and big wins, maybe a TOP20 rank is more that anyone would ever expect from this player.
Couldn’t agree more, Rublev needs to add more to his game such as a slice and a decent net game cause he has neither atm. His backhand isn’t bad but isn’t good enough to compete with the very best.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts