Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cmon man, can someone make the thread lol.

I may have lost a bet, but I can't be mad at all. Rublev got enough chances, but lack of brain/shot selection, tactical position, whatever, and just plain UE's at SP, got him at the end. He was outsmarted and exposed in a few areas.

Evans had a blip serving it out at 5-4, but to be real, he was clutch all match long saving many BP's and deuces and converting what he had, so he was due to give something, knowing subconsciously he better take that set.

·
justice for all
12,896 Posts
Sorry maybe that will sound a bit harsh but I've been watching this player for too long now.
And for me Andrey Rublev is an extremely one-dimensional player who will never win anything above 500.
He has one working strategy: run around his BH and hit hard with his FH with similar spin and direction. It's a good shot and this tactics will work vs the lesser players but when he'll run into a good defender or someone who will abuse his BH with deep slices he'll just have no answer and fall apart. No plan B, no variety and touch. Enough to win a few 250 and be a consistent TOP20 player but not more than that.

Good win for Evans who should have been out already but is in the SF now - he should use what remains of his career, a few good years with occasional peaks and big wins, maybe a TOP20 rank is more that anyone would ever expect from this player.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Great match, I enjoyed that a lot. That 6-2 doesn't tell the whole story, it was much closer but every key moment was going in favour of Evans. Rublev was exasperated. 2nd set was again, very close. Andrey got the early break, but a string of bad plays got him in a bad position and Dan got to serve for the match. The Brit got tight. almost lost the set before the tiebreak, but fought despite being visibly tired. The tiebreak could've gone either way. Good win for Evans, he breaks top 30 for the first time, but I think that's it for him in this tournament.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Rublev also seems to have lost the improved serve he had in January, all his matches this week have been rollercoasters with multiple exchanges of serve and a ridiculous amount of drama-filled games. As pointed out, his game is too one-dimensional and it's going to be tough for him to break through on the big stage unless he manages to stabilize his serve. Smart all-court game by Evans, he deserves credit for pulling through 3 tough matches in a row with nice changeups on big points.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Tactical masterclass from Dan Evans. He lead 62 *54 and should have closed it out.
But Evans was very nervous, hit 2 double faults in crucial moments, but he got it done in the end.
Rublev is a very fine ball striker but in the terms of tacticts and tennis IQ Evans is miles ahead.
The slice backhand from Evans was too much to handle for Rublev. 2 hours 11 minutes.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
You're a true player Buda, Id be mad as hell . It was the smart bet, came out short by little.

Dan made a magician (tactician) escape relied on his varying defense and fighting spirit to win . Thats the difference with herbert, right there. As was said yesterday, if you took a look Malvin.

Dan doesnt have the stamina if this went to 3, he makes tremendous effort to get in the position to win.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Nothing new here. Clublev Rublev falters first time he runs into a semi-decent opponent. At least he still has his looks. oh wait

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Well done Dan. Starting to really reach his true place after all the years. Very happy for him

·
Registered
973 Posts
Ez pz for the Most talented british player!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Rublev has defeated a total of ONE Top 20 player so far this year, and it was Goffin who's been bloody awful after the Nadal match at ATP Cup.
In Melbourne, Rublev was destroyed by Zverev and in both 500s he lost in QF, being totally outfoxed by Krajinovic and Evans, not exactly the giants of the game.

As good as his start to the year is, it's way overhyped.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Rublev has defeated a total of ONE Top 20 player so far this year, and it was Goffin who's been bloody awful after the Nadal match at ATP Cup.
In Melbourne, Rublev was destroyed by Zverev and in both 500s he lost in QF, being totally outfoxed by Krajinovic and Evans, not exactly the giants of the game.

People always overestimate results at 250/500...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Even tho Evans is one of my favorite players, I tried to put myself in Rublev' shoes and try to figure out why he couldn't find a way to win this one. The bottom line is he wasn't aggressive enough and most of all he was scarred to go to the net. Having a big advantage in a rally and not going to the net usually ends bad for the player with the advantage. It's similar to missing an easy layup in basketball (which usually results in a fast break/easy layup for the other team)...Rublev just had to go forward, that's all.

Evans is smart and witty, he just finds a way to make things happen. Plus he is brave in his game, exactly the opposite of Rublev

·
Registered
13,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

please, Goffin was just fine, it was only since the Rublev loss that he was bad...

Krajinovic and Evans played monstrous, show some respect. Krajinovic also took it to Monfils, and beat Pospisil.

·
Registered
13,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 26 Posts